WATCH: Cop fires 11 shots through his windshield at murder suspects during high-speed chase

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/07/17/watch-cop-fires-11-shots-through-his-windshield-at-murder-suspects-during-high-speed-chase

WATCH: Cop fires 11 shots through his windshield at murder suspects during high-speed chase

6 hours

A harrowing police bodycam video showed an officer pursuing a pair of murder suspects in a high-speed chase near downtown Las Vegas last week during which an officer fired 11 shots through his windshield. (Image source: YouTube screenshot) 

Follow
Article GoalINFORM

A harrowing police bodycam video showed an officer pursuing a pair of murder suspects in a high-speed chase near downtown Las Vegas last week — during which an officer fired 11 shots through his windshield at the suspects, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

Police on Monday released the video which showed officer William Umana pursuing Fidel Miranda, 22, and Rene Nunez, 30, last Wednesday and yelling “shots fired, shots fired” into his radio, the paper said.

What led to the chase?

Miranda and Nunez are suspects in the death of 25-year-old Thomas Romero, who was shot multiple times in the chest Wednesday at a car wash, police told the Review-Journal. Romero died that morning at a hospital, the paper said.

Police spotted a 2000 Ford Expedition that matched the description of the suspects’ vehicle just after 9:30 a.m., the paper said, and then the SUV sped off through oncoming traffic while firing at pursuing police, Metropolitan Police Department Assistant Sheriff Tim Kelly said at a briefing Monday, the Review-Journal said.

cop-shoots-through-windshield-3-1024x668  

When another police cruiser joined the chase, Officer Umana warned his fellow officer to stay back, the paper said — and that second officer’s cruiser was hit by bullets at least twice and couldn’t finish the chase.

Umana, 43, pulled his vehicle closer to the SUV and fired 11 shots through his windshield, the Review-Journal said.

cop-shoots-through-windshield-2-1024x644  

The officer also fired seven shots through his open window, the paper said.

cop-shoots-through-windshield-4-1024x606  

The suspects fired 34 rounds during the pursuit, Kelly told the paper, while officers fired 31 shots.

What happened at the end of the chase?

One of the suspects — Nunez — exited the vehicle while it was still moving near an elementary school and ran up the school’s steps in an attempt to enter, but the door was locked, Kelly told the Review-Journal.

The other suspect — Miranda — moved to the driver’s seat and tried backing up toward Umana, who left his vehicle and continued firing at the SUV.

cop-shoots-through-windshield-5-1024x627   cop-shoots-through-windshield-6-1024x638  

The plainclothes officer Paul Solomon, 46 — who was not wearing a bodycam — approached the passenger-side door of the suspects’ vehicle and fired his shotgun once, hitting Miranda, the Review-Journal said.

Miranda was handcuffed while medical was called but was soon pronounced dead at the scene, the paper said, adding that Officers Umana and Solomon were not injured.

Police arrested Nunez, who had gunshot wounds from the pursuit or from a shooting earlier that morning, the Review-Journal reported.

One civilian’s car was struck by gunfire, Kelly told the paper.

What happened to the suspect who survived?

Nunez is accused of stealing the SUV on May 20 in North Las Vegas, Kelly told the Review-Journal, adding that one of the guns Nunez used during the chase had been reported stolen May 20.

Nunez faces multiple charges of murder with a deadly weapon and attempted murder with a deadly weapon, the paper said, adding that he was in jail Monday without bail.

Miranda and Nunez had aliases — “Cabezon” and “Kreeepper,” respectively, which could be gang-related — Kelly told the Review-Journal.

What was said about the officers?

Kelly characterized the actions of Umana and Solomon as heroic, the paper said.

Referrring to Umana, Kelly said he “could have backed off, but he didn’t.”

(H/T: Blue Lives Matter)

He was tactically sound in engaging when he did, didn't look like a busy area, his weapon was trained right at the driver/passenger area and apparently was enough to bring the pursuit to and end. Great Job! Go home to the family and take a breather.

• Like 1

One thing was for sure. The officer had no intentions of letting them get away short of his own injury. I don't know what the protocol is in Vegas but that was one very determind officer to bring the bad guys to justice period. They said the bad guys fired 34 times and I think the officers fired 31 rounds and they said only 1 civilian car was hit with some rounds.

Edited by bersaguy
15 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I was once in Vegas for several days. Only saw one cop, and he was on a bicycle. I thought the mafia kept the peace there.

I had a friend go to jail there once for minor drunkenness, I think. While they were arresting him, there was a bigger ruckus down the street. They handcuffed his ass to a stop sign while they dealt with the bigger problem. He called me to get him out. Said the jail was a nice place. Wooden doors and everything.

12 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

More of this and we might see less crime eventually. Good job. Only critique was the reload. OMG that was painful to watch. More practice is needed. But it worked and it turned out well. Attaboy. 

He had a lot going on and the trouble he had in changing the mag was understandable. Been there done that .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

I can't help but wonder where all those rounds when on that residential street. If he had hit and killed an innocent bystander would there have been the same repercussions that a CCW holder would face? I doubt it. . 

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

I did too.  Very wild.

Made me wonder what that cop is in store for.  That can’t be standard or accepted protocol, lol.

I read a discussion between cops on Facebook about this incident and they were saying that there are departments that now train to shoot through the windshield.  

24 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I can't help but wonder where all those rounds when on that residential street. If he had hit and killed an innocent bystander would there have been the same repercussions that a CCW holder would face? I doubt it. . 

I think most rounds hit the vehicle, he took time to get a sight picture before firing.  If you look at where he engaged, you don't see any traffic or pedestrians, like I said, a good tactical decision.  I am more interested in where the perps rounds went, didn't sound like they cared much where they were shooting.  As to the repercussions, I believe as long as they don't break protocol, they are covered.

10 minutes ago, owejia said:

Bet he had a bad headache after the noise in confined space, unless he had ear plugs.

I'm willing to bet he didn't have much of an issue...at least not until he gets older.  In a high adrenaline situation you hardly notice the loud sounds, but it still does damage.

1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

As a former LEO I view this as reckless and lucky an innocent wasn't hurt.

What would you have done different?  I know many places don't allow high speed chases, due to the inherent danger, but I think in this case, even those places allow that.  As far as the shooting, was it the windshield part or just the public part that bothers you?

2 hours ago, Omega said:

What would you have done different?  I know many places don't allow high speed chases, due to the inherent danger, but I think in this case, even those places allow that.  As far as the shooting, was it the windshield part or just the public part that bothers you?

Windshield part. Glass deflects 9mm and causes deformation of the bullet creating unpredictable flight.

• Like 1

And there is this...

“Regarding shooting at or from a moving vehicle, our policy reads in part, it is policy of this department that officers will not discharge a firearm at or from a moving vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary to preserve human life." Assistant Sheriff Tim Kelly, Las Vegas Metro