Shoes???

I'm looking for some really comfortable all around slip on pair of shoes and I am wondering how many folks here are wearing Sketchers and wanting to see if they are all they claim to be before I drop $70.00+ on a pair of shoes. Are there any folks here that can give an opinion on them????

6 minutes ago, peejman said:

Gotta try on shoes first. Sketchers are fine otherwise. 

I plan on trying them on before I buy them. It's just I have try shoes on in the store and they fit well and felt like they would be comfortable and a month later they feel like S--t and are not comfortable and don't feel as good as they did. I am looking for folks that have bought a pair of them and wore them for kind of longer period of time and they still felt good with a little wear on them.

19 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Ahhh! Nope have never been on one in my life. Does it matter??

No, lol.  I just remember when the brand came out and what they offered at the time for for skater types.  They have expanded their market since then.

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

No, lol.  I just remember when the brand came out and what they offered at the time for for skater types.  They have expanded their market since then.

Yea I know they have expaned their line a lot and offer many different styles. I looking for an everyday wear type shoe that will hold it's comfort for a reasonable lenght of time. I did by a pair back a couple years ago which I am still wearing and I bought them of all places, Walmart and they are a Faded Glory brand shoe and it has just been in last month that they have began to become uncomfortable and I went back to get another pair of them because in style they resembled Sketchers. Well they don't carry that particular style any longer so I have desided to step up and go for a better shoe since I can't replace these again. 

Can't help you with the current Sketchers, but I did buy several pair from Kohls just after they came out. Probably 7/8 years ago. The ones they claimed to be so great for your feet. The ones that had an almost rounded bottom right in the center of the shoes.

I loved them, after I got used to the shape. Like you, when I wanted more, they had been discontinued, and the company was being sued for the claims made for the shoes. 

There actually was a class action suit brought against them over the advertising claims.

I submitted the information and got 80 bucks a pair back on them. 

Nice, but I'd rather have gotten more shoes.

My New Balance are about worn out now, and I've thought about the new ones. So sometime I will check them out.

Edited by hipower

As I recommend shoes professionally, brand is generally not a good guideline.  How the shoe is constructed is important.  Generally a slip-on shoe is not going to be a quality built shoe that is supportive to the foot.  If you buy from a knowledgeable outlet, ask for a 'motion-control' shoe.  An example would be a 1400 series New Balance.  Seldom have I seen a quality Sketcher shoe. As a general rule, people that are on their feet a lot, nurses, cashiers, hair dressers, need a quality shoe. Crocs, flipflops, sandals, chuck taylors, are examples of poor, non-supportive shoes.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, chances R said:

As I recommend shoes professionally, brand is generally not a good guideline.  How the shoe is constructed is important.  Generally a slip-on shoe is not going to be a quality built shoe that is supportive to the foot.  If you buy from a knowledgeable outlet, ask for a 'motion-control' shoe.  An example would be a 1400 series New Balance.  Seldom have I seen a quality Sketcher shoe. As a general rule, people that are on their feet a lot, nurses, cashiers, hair dressers, need a quality shoe. Crocs, flipflops, sandals, chuck taylors, are examples of poor, non-supportive shoes.

NB 1400? I'm behind on this. I do have several issues with my feet, so I understand your statements. I'll have to check these out.

You "recommend shoes professionally." Does that mean you work/sell retail? 

If so, I'd gladly support a brother in arms...so to speak.

• Admin Team

I’ve got a friend who is sponsored by Sketchers.  She loves them and races in them.  

But, trying them on and maybe getting someone who knows what they’re doing to analyze your gait matters.  

For me, it’s a Saucony neutral shoe. Nike’s wear my feet out.  

HiPower, you might check out a pair of Hoka’s.  They’ve got a few pairs similar to the ones you described.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chances R said:

I can't speak to the 1400 series, but as I'm an RN and spend 12-14 busy hours each day constantly on my feet, I have worn out just about every brad I;ve ever tried within a 6 month period.

About a year ago my feet got so painful I finally broke down and went to see an Orthopedic surgeon (podiatrist) that works at our facility. After several xrays and a sit-down talk, he said I could either have surgery on my feet (arthritic bone changes) or I could purchase some quality properly made shoes. Hummm... he fired up Google in his office and printed off the name and number of the shoes he recommended.

I thought...shoes? Seriously? How could a new shoe make that much difference? But I know him and trust him. So I looked at Zappo's since they will let you return an item within the year for free.

They worked. I mean these darn shoes actually made my life better. I just finished 2 13 hr shifts...we had 34 ambulances plus walkins just yesterday and my feet are still quite happy! :)

The shoes are Hoka Gaviota's. They cost twice as much as I have ever paid for work shoes, but are worth every penny of the asking price imho. I even purchased a second pair for everyday use. Several of my peers have (since seeing me go from painfully hobbling to running my butt off efficiently) have now purchased them and share the same opinion. They are awesome. Nurses, like the infantry, live on their feet..so we gotta take care of 'em.

These may seem like the cost is steep...but the true value is apparent, at least to me.

Just my ever devaluing $0.02 worth. ;)

https://www.zappos.com/p/hoka-one-one-gaviota-black-formula-one/product/8804082/color/22027

• Like 2
6 hours ago, hipower said:

You "recommend shoes professionally." Does that mean you work/sell retail? 

No, I am a PA in Orthopaedics. I treat many foot problems.  Shoes are taken for granted.  It is all about structure and support, not brand.  They all make crappy shoes, and some do make some very good shoes.  And they wear out.  If you wear them daily they may need to be replaced every 6 months.  Most mfg care about fashion/ looks....got to be concerned about function.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I'm a big guy and very hard on shoes. Recently recovered from a fall down a flight of steps where I tore everything in my left foot. Physical therapist told me to go to a good shoe store that deals with runners.  Guy at the store was fantastic and I ended up with Brooks Beasts. Best shoe I've had in years. Not cheap but as prag stated worth every penny. 

• Like 1

Comes down to you individually. I am not on my feet all day anymore. In the past I was, two bad knees makes me shuffle pretty bad, hard on shoes. So I looked for a long time including seeing docs. 

I would up getting two pair of Clark's. Not real expensive but did me great. Bought more for when I wear them out. Still use them. 

Around the house and yard, passed Crocs. Been wearing them for a long time. Buy a new pair once a year. Work fine. 

Shoes are like everything else in life what works for me may not work for you. I will say lots of friends agree with the Hokas. 

3 hours ago, Farman said:

These are what I've been wearing for the last 5 or 6 years. My feet are messed up do to an injury and these Merrells are the best for me.
https://www.shoes.com/merrell-jungle-moc-slip-on/7015/104722?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla_with_promotion-_-none-_-none-_-none

I get mine at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Merrell has a great reputation. I've never checked into them for some reason. The moc-slip-on really looks interesting, but I've had trouble getting into a slip-on type shoe.

I have, like you, really damaged my right foot, and it's a chore to get good fitting and comfortable shoes.

I'll do some looking and see if there is a retailer in Nashville that has them.

• Admin Team

Larry, if there's a Fleet Feet near you, it would probably be worth your time to go visit.  The folks at the one down by me in Brentwood are really great at getting people into a shoe that fits their need/stride/mechanics.

I know a bunch of casual runners with injuries that swear by them.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Larry, if there's a Fleet Feet near you, it would probably be worth your time to go visit.  The folks at the one down by me in Brentwood are really great at getting people into a shoe that fits their need/stride/mechanics.

I know a bunch of casual runners with injuries that swear by them.

Thanks for the tip. Seems there is one on Hillsboro Road, but that area's traffic makes me want to just go to Brentwood instead. lol

Seriously though, I'll give them a look.

And Thanks to all who have given me some new ideas here.

3 hours ago, Farman said:

These are what I've been wearing for the last 5 or 6 years. My feet are messed up do to an injury and these Merrells are the best for me.
https://www.shoes.com/merrell-jungle-moc-slip-on/7015/104722?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla_with_promotion-_-none-_-none-_-none

I get mine at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Anything by Merrells are good to go.  My only complaint is they don't have half sizes past 11, and I tend to run a 12.5 for optimal fit in most brands.  I can do a 13, but still, I'd rather the best fit when I can get it.

• Admin Team
2 minutes ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the tip. Seems there is one on Hillsboro Road, but that area's traffic makes me want to just go to Brentwood instead. lol

Seriously though, I'll give them a look.

And Thanks to all who have given me some new ideas here.

They're a small business - and you have to know going in that you're likely to pay close to MSRP for a pair of shoes.  That's not what a lot of folks are used to who usually walk into Academy and buy whatever is on sale.

Of course, that's why their feet hurt, too.

I wear a set of orthopedic inserts in my running shoes, and for me just the fact that they opened up every brand in the store and let me try them until we got the right fit was valuable.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Merrells are comfy - I've had Jungle Mocs since around 2000.  

They're great for walking around the house, but a shoe that soft just isn't going to provide much support if you've actually got issues.

I love my Merrells - but man, sometimes I wonder if their soles are made out of chewing gum.  I can wear clean through a pair in 6 months.

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

They're a small business - and you have to know going in that you're likely to pay close to MSRP for a pair of shoes.  That's not what a lot of folks are used to who usually walk into Academy and buy whatever is on sale.

Of course, that's why their feet hurt, too.

I wear a set of orthopedic inserts in my running shoes, and for me just the fact that they opened up every brand in the store and let me try them until we got the right fit was valuable.

I use Powerstep Pro inserts in my athletic shoes. They work well for me. Also in my Dunham casual/dress shoes.