Army's new machine gun will blast like battle tanks

• Authorized Vendor

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/19/armys-new-machine-gun-will-blast-like-battle-tanks.html

The Army’s new weapon will look like a light machine gun, but will put M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank-style blasting power literally at the fingertips of U.S. soldiers.

The new light machine gun will weigh less — and yet shoot farther. It should make U.S. soldiers even more lethal and enhance their speed and mobility while improving their safety in future combat.

he Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle (NGSAR) may replace about 80,000 SAWs (the M249 squad automatic weapon). The well-known and loved M249 SAWs were already beasts — now the Army’s light machine gun is going to get even more powerful.

Armed with the NGSARs, soldiers will have the confidence of knowing the new weapon can be relied on for stopping power against sophisticated adversaries who arrive to fight in advanced body armor.

The aim is for the NGSARs to fire bullets at pressure levels similar to those achieved by tanks when they fire. Rounds will smash through advanced adversary body armor even at a distance, allowing soldiers to accurately shoot while maintaining a safe distance from the threat whenever possible.

Read more.

• Like 2

That's quite interesting.

They seem pretty tight lipped about the caliber. I assume that's because it's still under development. Body armor piercing capability at 600 meters...intriguing indeed.

Anyone know more about the caliber/cartridge  being developed?

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Ah Dave,

Here I am seeking idle speculation and rumors, and you give me facts;)

Thanks Dave. I missed that somehow when I did a quick search.

Perhaps another cup of coffee would have been in order. 

Good info and much work still to be done.

5 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

The aim is for the NGSARs to fire bullets at pressure levels similar to those achieved by tanks when they fire.

So something north of 80,000 psi and 5,500 ft/s. interesting.  

Man. how I would have loved to have gotten my hands on one of those in 'Nam.

From what she said about ammo being lighter, "could be" the new polymer cased ammo that's being worked on, might make an appearance here.

Whatever it is, it seems to be a few yrs. down the pike.

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Help me out here. Why are we comparing a 20 pound tank projectile at 80,00 PSI and a 55 grain projectile that is now at 62,000 PSI, and pretending like they have anything in common? :)

Because that's what marketing/sales people do. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Help me out here. Why are we comparing a 20 pound tank projectile at 80,00 PSI and a 55 grain projectile that is now at 62,000 PSI, and pretending like they have anything in common? :)

"The Army would like the new weapon chamber pressure to be between 60 and 80 KSI (kilopound per square inch)."

80 KSI not 80 PSI. They had to misprint this. 8 million PSI is a bit much. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

"The Army would like the new weapon chamber pressure to be between 60 and 80 KSI (kilopound per square inch)."

80 KSI not 80 PSI. They had to misprint this. 8 million PSI is a bit much. 

While I'd pay money to see it, where'd you get 8 million psi?

I just hope if this thing becomes a reality that our Government does not do something stupid with it like arm the Iraqi's so when they see an ISIS pickup truck of ISIS soldiers coming at them they don't throw them on the ground and run like hell like they did last time we gave them guns to fight with and they gave them to ISIS. If we are going give our ally forces arms to fight with old wore out M16's and a little bit of ammo should be all they get.................JMHO