Firearms burnout

RC3

Anyone else just don't see guns the same way they used to? I cant tell the last time I have been trully excited about a buying a new gun or even hearing about a new gun coming out. In fact, I have been downsizing and dont even go shooting anymore. Is this a terminal case or is there still hope?

Edited by RC3
  • Like 2

I still shoot but like you, no real excitement for anything new.

I like my go to stuff so much, I've been focusing on improving them (sights, grips, internals)

When I see something interesting, I try to determine if I'll use it or into the safe.

If it's into the safe (on a common item) I will usually pass.

Instead of downsizing, do some trading, you might stumble across the one you missed.

• Like 1

I think it's just the deluge of smaller EDC firearms have left some of us a bit jaded. Twenty years ago if you wanted a small EDC, you had only a couple of choices... the KelTec P11 in 9mm and the KelTec P-32 in 32 auto. 

Since then, every manufacturer has started making smaller, single stack, easily concealable firearms. It was exciting for a while, but now I'm a bit burned out, too. 

• Like 1

This is why I enjoy building them, especially the weird and different ones. It's just exciting pull the trigger for the first time on something you've machined, welded, formed, etc wondering if it's going to work or if you have to go back to the drawing board. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

This is why I enjoy building them, especially the weird and different ones. It's just exciting pull the trigger for the first time on something you've machined, welded, formed, etc wondering if it's going to work or if you have to go back to the drawing board. 

Or if it’s going to blow up, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I find myself shooting less and less as well. Most of my money is being diverted to other hobbies/projects etc. There are a ton of guns I would love to buy but I had the realization that it will just be another object in my safe that only gets shot once or twice a year. 

• Like 2

I don't shoot much anymore. It's part laziness and part lack of free time. I also have two safes full plus several stashed about. I really don't have the room nor a sane reason to buy much more. You get tired of anything if you do it enough.

To tell the truth, I don't find much enjoyment in anything anymore. I guess it's part of getting older.

• Like 4

I hate to hear this. I know I'm bad about making time to do stuff. I blame it on being  self employed for 26 years. But I'm working hard at not giving a ratsass and spending more time enjoying family and range time.

Hope you figure it out.

I guess I'm about in the middle on this. bought a few things this years. Some good, some not so much so. Probably am leaning on the downside here, I haven't shot as much this year. Health problems have slowed me down on going to a range.

I keep saying I'm going to "downsize," but just can't make that decision yet.

3 minutes ago, hipower said:

I guess I'm about in the middle on this. bought a few things this years. Some good, some not so much so. Probably am leaning on the downside here, I haven't shot as much this year. Health problems have slowed me down on going to a range.

I keep saying I'm going to "downsize," but just can't make that decision yet.

Just figure out the 30 guns you shoot the most and get rid of the rest....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Sometimes the ones you shoot the least are the treasures of the collection.

The struggle is real.

Correct, Sir. I just posted in the thread on auto calibers in revolvers, and several of my really nice(to me) guns are in that catagory. I don't have anything of a really high value, that I'm aware of anyway. I buy very few as "investments." My tastes are eclectic to borderline bizarre, but I only have a few that were truly a mistake to purchase. The little Walther PK380 probably is number one on the current mistake list.

Anyway, my "treasures" are Dad's guns, and some I just wanted. I have a few goodies. lol

Not bad for an old fart who started out buying Taurus from shop guys when I was a parts seller.

• Like 1

I use to shoot every week but that was because BT was going to the range so I had someone to go with. Since he has passed away and the range we use to use closed down I just can't get motivated to go any more. I keep telling myself I need to go just to stay crisp. I did put a range briefcase together a few days ago so I might go burn some powder at a buddy house one day next week. He has a range in his back yard and I think he said he will be home all next week and he said he also needs to shoot some. It's a little road trip but will be nice seeing him again anyway. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

the range we use to use closed down I just can't get motivated to go any more.

I have the same problem. Since GGC closed up, I don't have a good place to go any more. I squeezed off a few rounds back in May at GnL Hendersonville, but I just don't enjoy indoor ranges as much as outdoor.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

I have the same problem. Since GGC closed up, I don't have a good place to go any more. I squeezed off a few rounds back in May at GnL Hendersonville, but I just don't enjoy indoor ranges as much as outdoor.

Did you move?  There is a great range close to us. 

Have you tried something besides shooting cans in the creek? Try practical pistol shooting, USPSA and or IDPA. Great bunch of people you're shooting with and it's like plinking with a lot of others. That's where I went when I got to the point you are. That was about 17 years ago. Have been having a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, got a lot better with a gun too.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Have you tried something besides shooting cans in the creek? Try practical pistol shooting, USPSA and or IDPA. Great bunch of people you're shooting with and it's like plinking with a lot of others. That's where I went when I got to the point you are. That was about 17 years ago. Have been having a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, got a lot better with a gun too.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Where do you find the time?

I've got plates that I shoot at in the back. Dry firing after dark. The only match I go to is at ORSA in Oak Ridge once a month. There are other clubs that hold combat matches, I just don't want to travel any farther.

Having a belly full of ulcers from being special layout in a sheet metal shop made me sit back and think of what it would take to settle me down. I started wondering which side of the grass I was going to wake up on.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

My job and demands on my time when I am home make it hard to get out to go shooting. That in turn decreases the amount of buying/selling/trading I might do. Basically it’s forced me to be super selective in my firearms related focus because I’ve got so little time for it I have to make it count. 

I guess work was the main issue, too burned out after to go out and enjoy shooting. But overall, even building guns has lost its appeal. I have a lot of parts just sitting around collecting dust.

Like anything else, you have to make time to do things you like/want to do.  The best way I know how, is to get a shooting partner, and set a time/date to shoot.  I find that when I'm "obligated" to do something, I can more easily make time to do it.  It's like not wanting to let your partner down because you couldn't make time.

I was like that with fishing, and somewhat hunting, when I had fishing partners I would fish a lot, but when they got transferred, I hardly ever go.  With hunting, I have people that ask me to harvest a deer for them, so I hunt until I fill the requests, and my one harvest.  I don't feel put out or anything, I enjoy myself, but there are a few times I  ask myself, "Do I really want to wake up this early"

• Like 2