Firearms burnout

RC3

There are very few new guns these days that excite me. Plastic just ain't my thing and how many times can you remake the 1911?  :grouchy:

The few guns on my wish list are all old, hard to find and mostly out of my budget. 

I also find myself not shooting as much as I used to. Some days I just don't feel like going to the trouble of getting all that stuff together and dragging it out to the range. Sometimes I just don't want to have to clean them when I get home. 

I no longer have any shooting partners either. That does take a lot of fun out of it.  Kinda boring going to the range all by myself. 

Maybe I'm just gettin' old. :shrug:

• Like 3

Since I started re-shooting a few years ago, I went on a bing picking up some things. I feel the same way some days. Mine is lack of a partner too I think. All the guys I used to shoot with changed jobs and now at my new job, no one shoots. Also where I used to shoot for free right out of the back of the car is gone. So lugging everything into a range is a pain. And I can't shoot my shotguns there. I mean 16ga buckshot or slugs is not that common. Tgey dont allow birdshot. I keep saying I am gonna join a club, but at a few times a year, I feel like it is a waste. 

New hobbies like Kayaking and Hiking have taken their toll on my shooting, as have cost and kids.  Lately though, I've gotten back into acquiring a few new toys.  In the last three months, I have acquired two new pistols.  Still haven't shot them yet.  Too many other things I need/want to do and honestly around here, the cost of going to a range has gone out of sight or the rules at the cheaper and closer range take the fun out of shooting. 

17 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Man, you guys just need to drag the Remy 522, a big box of .22, and 5 or 6 empty beer cans out to the range and make a joyful noise. 

The range I go to now does not allow that. Used to be me, my Marlin 60, and some pie plates out on the back lot at work. 

32 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

The range I go to now does not allow that. Used to be me, my Marlin 60, and some pie plates out on the back lot at work. 

14 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Well that sucks

I understand. lol Bought a very sweet 10/22 that Dolo built a few years ago. It's a darn tack driver. I'd sit drink cans, and old shaving cream cans out as targets. Sure miss doing that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

There are very few new guns these days that excite me. Plastic just ain't my thing and how many times can you remake the 1911?  :grouchy:

The few guns on my wish list are all old, hard to find and mostly out of my budget. 

I also find myself not shooting as much as I used to. Some days I just don't feel like going to the trouble of getting all that stuff together and dragging it out to the range. Sometimes I just don't want to have to clean them when I get home. 

I no longer have any shooting partners either. That does take a lot of fun out of it.  Kinda boring going to the range all by myself. 

Maybe I'm just gettin' old. :shrug:

Agreed on all points. Especially the last one.

• Like 1

I don't consider myself burned out but I went on a buying spree after moving to a free state three years ago and there is only a couple of guns left on my want list and I haven't found them yet. Got two on my list back in January. I did add one new one a month ago but it will be an impulse buy when I find it, if I have the cash.

I do need to shoot more, no excuse, just been busy or too hot or both.

I still shoot a bit, not as much as in the past. Still buy the special pistol of rifle every now and then. My wish list has a Super Black Hawk in 45 Colt, 44 Auto Mag, Barrett 50 semi. Wish there was a muzzle loader group around close that shut every month or so.

23 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I still shoot a bit, not as much as in the past. Still buy the special pistol of rifle every now and then. My wish list has a Super Black Hawk in 45 Colt, 44 Auto Mag, Barrett 50 semi. Wish there was a muzzle loader group around close that shut every month or so.

My wish list consists of one firearm right now an that's an affordable lever gun in .357mag.  Haven't found one of those yet.  The Affordable part seems to be the hang up. 🤔

I still love to go and do as much as possible but it does get old going solo and only being able to shoot paper in doors. The Gun Room is a nice range but my goal is to get some land of my own and go from there. Other than hanging with the family there's nothing I enjoy more. Getting in to shooting suppressed  has been a blast and other than funds I don't plan on slowing down. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Esko 270 said:

I still love to go and do as much as possible but it does get old going solo and only being able to shoot paper in doors. The Gun Room is a nice range but my goal is to get some land of my own and go from there. Other than hanging with the family there's nothing I enjoy more. Getting in to shooting suppressed  has been a blast and other than funds I don't plan on slowing down. 

I still enjoy shooting but like Esko said, going solo just doe not get it anymore. I lost my shooting artner 2 years back in February and he did up keep on the range we shot at so we shot for free. Shortly after he died they closed the range and sold out and the range is now private so now if I shoot I do it when I go out to daughters house. and shoot with Tommy, (SIL) Once I move out there I'm going to build myself a small range cause there is a great berm out behind my house about 40 yards and it's in the country. Going to see about getting some metal plates so I don't have to keep replacng the targets all the time. Something to look forward to after all the negative part of my having to move. Might even be able to invite some members over to shoot that live in the area.

• Like 2

That might be one of the issues. I used to have fun going out and shooting with friends and family. But now, it is almost easier to get all the planets to align than it is time to go out and shoot.

• Like 1

I got burned out a while back.  Once you get sick it is easy to feel burned out out.   

That and feeling used up by the gov't makes it really hard.  You know how hard it is?   Every time time i want something i just get denied.  Heck i found a piece at KG and i was denied.  They tell me to feel free to  apply, it has been three weeks now.  It it is a bunch of BS.   So I just give up on it.   

• Administrator

I recently let go of a few things that were either just holding down space in the safe or distracting me and fragmenting my practice time at the range.  I shoot as much now as I ever did.  Perhaps more.  But my shooting is more focused on getting better with a smaller number of guns.

have been thinking about building something a little more fun out of my old Ruger 10/22 though.  Something that would be enjoyable to take to the range and just blister some targets with, cheaply.  Magpul stock, TacSol threaded barrel, bipod...

Those of you who say you are burned out, do you have an EDC firearm?  Do you look at it as a tool or a hobby?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I recently let go of a few things that were either just holding down space in the safe or distracting me and fragmenting my practice time at the range.  I shoot as much now as I ever did.  Perhaps more.  But my shooting is more focused on getting better with a smaller number of guns.

have been thinking about building something a little more fun out of my old Ruger 10/22 though.  Something that would be enjoyable to take to the range and just blister some targets with, cheaply.  Magpul stock, TacSol threaded barrel, bipod...

Those of you who say you are burned out, do you have an EDC firearm?  Do you look at it as a tool or a hobby?

I do not edc or have a hcp. Where I am at 75% of the time and family matters both play into that. I have some I could edc but I prefer larger pistols. I do have my share of revolvers though. A .357 snubby is a good option in my mind. I consider them a tool, but the lady of the house prefers me to say it is a hobby. 

Edited by Ronald_55

I used to shoot 3 days a week, sometimes more... Then I got married, I shot 2 days a week, had kids. 1 day a week... Now my oldest  is 15, heavy travel softball (colorado, california, washington, florida, indy...)  and Im lucky to see a range once a month.

Ive started parring down. I now only have .22lr, 9mm, .45, 5.56, .308, & 12ga firearms... and even then I have some I havent shot in a year +

I carry everyday, and nowadays my G19 and XDS are about the only ones I shoot when I do..

I shoot more now than I ever have, but it is only one thing, Rimfire Bemchrest.   I agree with the sentiment for many that it isn’t fun to shoot alone, but what has really kept me interested and invested in Rimfire BR is the people.  I go as much to matches to see people as I do shoot.  I travel all over the Southeast and Midwest competing and have met a lot of great people I consider dear friends   

I would suggest for some to maybe find a firearm sport where they can go shoot and meet new people.  Some do idpa, some do BR, it doesn’t matter, just go find a match you think you might like.   I won’t lie, depending what you are doing it isn’t cheap and I know that is a barrier for some, but here is a huge list of matches out there.  There is surely one to fit most, but you have to look. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Moped said:

My wish list consists of one firearm right now an that's an affordable lever gun in .357mag.  Haven't found one of those yet.  The Affordable part seems to be the hang up. 🤔

I won't say it's affordable, but I enjoy shooting a Henry .357.  After I stop working I'll have the time to start reloading again.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TGO David said:

Those of you who say you are burned out, do you have an EDC firearm?  Do you look at it as a tool or a hobby

I used to view it as a hobby, now it's a tool. I still enjoy shooting but I just never seem to make the time to do it. There is always something around the house I have to get done and on the weekends the range I visit is too crowded. If I could shoot on my own land I would easily do it once a week. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I used to view it as a hobby, now it's a tool. I still enjoy shooting but I just never seem to make the time to do it. There is always something around the house I have to get done and on the weekends the range I visit is too crowded. If I could shoot on my own land I would easily do it once a week. 

I miss being able to shoot in the backyard. It definitely put a crimp on how much I shoot when I lost that ability. 

Same for me as a lot of others.  It's both a hobby and a tool. I carry when I can, which is to say when I'm out with my family.  

I'm lucky to get to a range 3-4 times/yr. I took a class earlier this year and really enjoyed it. My wife was also more supportive because it was a "class".  My hope is to purvey that into a couple more classes.  

I try to dry practice when I have a few minutes to spare, but with wife, kids, house, etc. those moments can be fleeting. 

20 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I miss being able to shoot in the backyard. It definitely put a crimp on how much I shoot when I lost that ability. 

I didn't realize you had that ability. In Memphis, did everyone just walk to the alley behind their house and fire off a few rounds? ;)

• Haha 1