Firearms burnout

RC3

56 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I used to view it as a hobby, now it's a tool. I still enjoy shooting but I just never seem to make the time to do it. There is always something around the house I have to get done and on the weekends the range I visit is too crowded. If I could shoot on my own land I would easily do it once a week. 

You'd think so, but I have a range behind my house and rarely shoot anymore. There's always something more pressing to do it seems.

I don't shoot much lately, and haven't reloaded in quite a while.    Thinking back on it, I believe the decline for me started back a several years ago when we got into the "ammo supply crisis".    Ammo and reloading supplies being scarce, or non-existent (mainly .22LRs), I went into full conservation mode so that I didn't use up what I had on hand in case the supply didn't start flowing again .    Once you get in the habit of not doing something, it's hard to get back into it.      

• Like 1
7 hours ago, peejman said:

Same for me as a lot of others.  It's both a hobby and a tool. I carry when I can, which is to say when I'm out with my family.  

I'm lucky to get to a range 3-4 times/yr. I took a class earlier this year and really enjoyed it. My wife was also more supportive because it was a "class".  My hope is to purvey that into a couple more classes.  

I try to dry practice when I have a few minutes to spare, but with wife, kids, house, etc. those moments can be fleeting. 

My wife is also not very supportive. To her, who grew up in a house full of guns, guns are only for hunting. Since I did not hunt during the first decade of our marriage, I am not a hunter in her eyes. The fact that I traveled 3.5 weeks a month, was helping raise our 2 little kids, was maintaining/upgrading our house, and had no where TO hunt had nothing to do with it. Lol

Also having a HCP is beyond her comprehension just like keeping some supplies on hand in case times get bad. I plan on taking the HCP course when I can get a free day though. I can just go ahead and get a lifetime and not worry about it again. 

49 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

My wife is also not very supportive. To her, who grew up in a house full of guns, guns are only for hunting. Since I did not hunt during the first decade of our marriage, I am not a hunter in her eyes. The fact that I traveled 3.5 weeks a month, was helping raise our 2 little kids, was maintaining/upgrading our house, and had no where TO hunt had nothing to do with it. Lol

Also having a HCP is beyond her comprehension just like keeping some supplies on hand in case times get bad. I plan on taking the HCP course when I can get a free day though. I can just go ahead and get a lifetime and not worry about it again. 

We both have our HCP, though I take it (a lot) more seriously than she does. In her mind, me going to the range is just a couple more hours she's got to deal with the kids herself. We've gone together on rare occasions.  The kids are getting old enough that they might get interested, so there's some hope in that direction.  

I'd really like to get into hunting, but it's just another hobby I feel like I don't have time or money for. Priorities, I guess. 

2 hours ago, peejman said:

We both have our HCP, though I take it (a lot) more seriously than she does. In her mind, me going to the range is just a couple more hours she's got to deal with the kids herself. We've gone together on rare occasions.  The kids are getting old enough that they might get interested, so there's some hope in that direction.  

I'd really like to get into hunting, but it's just another hobby I feel like I don't have time or money for. Priorities, I guess. 

I pushed back to hunting partially as an excuse to have my guns. That was her reasoning, so she could not argue. I really don't have time, but I did hit end of season sales that year to replace gear I had long ago discarded (or outgrown :( ). She has no interest in shooting at all. I never did much good deer hunting growing up due to low population density of deer. I hope to do better this year. 

My son is mildly interested but not enough to want to go to the range. He shots with my father in law, which my wife oddly promotes???

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you're not alone, I too have been on again off again "in to" firearms. Justifying another purchase when you barely shoot the ones you have?

One problem is we need more outdoor rifle ranges. Bend in the River is ok for pistol but here in Cookeville where to go unless you know someone with land? Sounds like other places in TN are the same.

TN is gun friendly but anti-gun range for some reason. It's just a PITA to get motivated to go to extremes to shoot.

That's my burnout issue. Also no one to go with. I mean a newbie just getting involved, someone to teach a few things to. 

The other thing is, I never was an "Enthusiast" anyway. I like the mechanics and history of firearms but mostly feel it's everyone's duty to keep practiced up and have a few weapons on hand just in case. Exercise that 2ndA or lose it! 

Treat it like a responsibility as a patriot. Other wise it's sort of like bowling, or darts. Only louder and more expensive.

I’m not burned out, but I’ve been so busy for the last year+ with a new job, house repairs, etc. that my time has been redirected. When I do have time to go shoot, I still feel like I need to catch up on other things. I’m definitely at a lower excitement level for shooting than what is normal for me, but it’s just because i have so much going on right now. I didn’t even go hunting one time last year, and that’s really weird for me.

I used to have a lot of fun with 3gun, but I haven’t even done that in a while. My work schedule will only improve as I gain seniority with my company, and the house repairs are getting complete. I look forward to getting back into 3gun. I also think I would really enjoy getting into some long-range type shooting. I haven’t done much of it, but it really interests me. 

I think it’s perfectly fine and normal to go through periods of low round counts. If I shot all the time, then I wouldn’t have any ammo, lol. I still enjoy breaking out the herd and petting them every now and then.

Maybe I’ll hit the range tomorrow with my EDC and a good bolt rifle (maybe the .243)...

Edited by Wingshooter

I understand.  I rarely just shoot to be shooting, which is a shame because all I need to do is step onto my porch and let er rip.  I got the guns that I needed a long time ago.  Anything new at this point is a novelty, which usually wears off quickly.  

7 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

One problem is we need more outdoor rifle ranges. Bend in the River is ok for pistol but here in Cookeville where to go unless you know someone with land? Sounds like other places in TN are the same.

TN is gun friendly but anti-gun range for some reason. It's just a PITA to get motivated to go to extremes to shoot.

We need more indoor ranges in the TriCities. Right now there is only one that is pistol only. One closed and another burned. There are some national forest ranges, but they are not very close. I need to join an outdoor, but I have more time to shoot in the winter. Indoor is easier then.

I agree if it takes too much effort it ruins the enjoyment.  I used to get to shoot on property my previous employer owned. I could shoot on my lunch hour right out of the back of the car. That made it really nice. 

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, Ray Z said:

Have you tried something besides shooting cans in the creek? Try practical pistol shooting, USPSA and or IDPA. Great bunch of people you're shooting with and it's like plinking with a lot of others. That's where I went when I got to the point you are. That was about 17 years ago. Have been having a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, got a lot better with a gun too.

This.  Started shooting competitive action pistol about 10 years ago and pretty much forgot about other hobbies.  Shot roughly 10k in the past year and will shoot seven sanctioned matches this year.   Not easy with a 50-60 hour work week and a kid, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.  

• Like 1