The birthday fairy brought me a smoker....

• Admin Team

Brisket West Texas style:

Trim hard fat.  Rub half and half with salt and pepper.  Smoke around 225-250. Use a water pan.

I like to pull it out of the smoke around 4 hours and wrap it in parchment.  Expect it to stall for while.  A bigger brisket might stall around 160 and again around 185.  

I usually pull mine around 203.  I let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.  That’s important.  

If you’re on YouTube, Aaron Franklin is the master.  

• Like 1

I mix pecan, apple, and cherry in equal parts soak overnight.  My brother gave me some pork rub, but it’s not necessary. 

I tried something new new the other day, i smoked a LB of fresh pork sausage. Now that was some kinda good. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

I also like to do smoked pork belly burnt ends.  

Remove the skin. Score it just through the fat layer in inch squares. Use a good rub of your choice.  

I like to smoke up to 203F.  Then I’ll pull it and let it rest.  While doing that, I’ll open up  the air on the smoker and bring the temperature up to around 400F. 

About 30 minutes before serving, I’ll cut it into inch squares, toss it in a sauce and put it back on the grill to caramelize the sauce.

It probably needs a surgeon general’s warning.  I did a 22lbs belly in the 4th that was gone in about 20 minutes   

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Smoked meatloaf and smoked mac and cheese are amazing. 

I never soak my wood.  I generally use chunks.  I spent all that time building the fire.  No need to put water on it. 

Mines a gas smoker, just figured I’d get better smoke from wet wood

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Smoked meatloaf and smoked mac and cheese are amazing. 

I never soak my wood.  I generally use chunks.  I spent all that time building the fire.  No need to put water on it. 

This is an electric smoker.

12 hours ago, Garufa said:

Cover meat in spices and cook long time over low heat.

For the most part, it really is that simple.  The fun part is finding a rub you like on various meats and finding out how much smoke flavor you like. 

Pork is usually the most forgiving, so it's easy to start with. I like to get a pork loin, inject it with Allegra marinade (there's several versions), rub it with McCormicks Pork Rub, and smoke it for about 4 hrs until it hits temp. 

Poultry is next... hard to best smoked turkey on Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, peejman said:

For the most part, it really is that simple.  The fun part is finding a rub you like on various meats and finding out how much smoke flavor you like. 

Pork is usually the most forgiving, so it's easy to start with. I like to get a pork loin, inject it with Allegra marinade (there's several versions), rub it with McCormicks Pork Rub, and smoke it for about 4 hrs until it hits temp. 

Poultry is next... hard to best smoked turkey on Thanksgiving

Love smoked turkey but the wife can’t make her cornbread dressing with the juice from a smoked one. 

1 hour ago, dralarms said:

Love smoked turkey but the wife can’t make her cornbread dressing with the juice from a smoked one. 

Why not?  Mine wife does. It's yummy.  

Turkey noodle soup with smoked turkey stock is a winter staple. As is bean soup made with smoked ham stock.  We've got maybe a dozen cool whip containers of stock in the freezer. 

I use to grill every Sunday year around regardless of the weather but now it's only me and Darby and her system will not tolerate smoked meats so not I grill once in a while when I can find a steak I can afford which is seldom. I do eat Lemon Pepper Chicken cooked on the grill about 5 times a month.

I have a buddy that has one of those smokers he towed behind his pickup and he use to do special events but he parked it about 4 years ago and now when folks want anything smoked they bring the meat and seasonings to him and he will smoke it for them on Fridays so they will have it on the weekends. Folks will normally give him a good tip cause he does not charge but he also keeps enough meat back for him and I and he brings me some when he has extra.

Just now, bersaguy said:

I use to grill every Sunday year around regardless of the weather but now it's only me and Darby and her system will not tolerate smoked meats so not I grill once in a while when I can find a steak I can afford which is seldom. I do eat Lemon Pepper Chicken cooked on the grill about 5 times a month.

I have a buddy that has one of those smokers he towed behind his pickup and he use to do special events but he parked it about 4 years ago and now when folks want anything smoked they bring the meat and seasonings to him and he will smoke it for them on Fridays so they will have it on the weekends. Folks will normally give him a good tip cause he does not charge but he also keeps enough meat back for him and I and he brings me some when he has extra.

Piggly Wiggly here has a reduced section in the meat department's freezer. We often find steaks there at greatly reduced price. I don't know if you are familiar with the term "aged beef", but it is a big selling point at high dollar restaurants. It turns out that these steaks that have aged in the grocer's cooler are usually better and more tender than the fresh cut steaks in the other cooler that people pay top dollar for.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Piggly Wiggly here has a reduced section in the meat department's freezer. We often find steaks there at greatly reduced price. I don't know if you are familiar with the term "aged beef", but it is a big selling point at high dollar restaurants. It turns out that these steaks that have aged in the grocer's cooler are usually better and more tender than the fresh cut steaks in the other cooler that people pay top dollar for.

Thanks for the tip and I will see where the nearest Piggly Wiggly is to me and check into that steak idea........:rock:

I smoke the large ones (about 2 1/2 lbs each) so the smoking time will have to be adjusted if using the regular store bought size.

Smoked Turkey Legs

Ingredients:

For the brine:

1 gallon water

1 cup salt

½ cup brown sugar

3 tablespoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons onion powder

3 tablespoons dried thyme

3 tablespoons dried sage

1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon liquid smoke

You'll also need:

turkey legs

Smoking wood chips (hickory)

Combine all of the ingredients for the brine in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let cool to at least room temp.

Rinse the turkey legs and place in a container, with brine, that you can cover. Place legs in frig and let brine overnight.

Remove legs from brine, rinse really good, dry, and set aside. Start the smoker and bring it up to about 230-240. Smoke for 4-6 hours until you get an internal temp. of about 170.

• Like 1

I picked up a 7 lb butt roast, and a rack of ribs. I also got the ingredients for a rub I found online. The ribs are already seasoned. I put the rub on the roast, and am about to throw it all on the smoker once it finishes the initial curing process. Will let you all know how it turns out.

• Like 2