The birthday fairy brought me a smoker....

15 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I just picked up a truckload of hickory limbs out of the yard after the storm last night. I wish I knew an easy way to turn them into chips ( I don't have a wood chipper).

I used to use a hatchet. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I just picked up a truckload of hickory limbs out of the yard after the storm last night. I wish I knew an easy way to turn them into chips ( I don't have a wood chipper).

Wish you were closer.  I have one I haven't used in so long that I don't even know if it still works. 

I've tried for years to come up with the perfect rub for pork butts, but I gave up after I found this. It's too salty for things like ribs but is great for butts or shoulders. Funny story that goes along with it but that's for a later time. :D

bad_byron_s.pngscreen shot pc

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Wish you were closer.  I have one I haven't used in so long that I don't even know if it still works. 

I've tried for years to come up with the perfect rub for pork butts, but I gave up after I found this. It's too salty for things like ribs but is great for butts or shoulders. Funny story that goes along with it but that's for a later time. :D

bad_byron_s.pngscreen shot pc

Smoked paprika is something I've never heard of until today, but it has to be the secret of master smokers everywhere!

BTW... you are gonna need an electronic meat thermometer. You at least need one that you can read without opening the box. Better yet, a wireless that you can read away from the smoker. I have both, but there's better now than what I have. TGO David has the cool stuff.

• Like 2

I do need the thermometer. I have an old school probe thermometer, but I like the idea of the wireless one.

I'm not sure the thermometer on my smoker is accurate. I started on 225, and soon bumped it up to 235 to actually get some smoke. After 16 hours, the internal; temp of the roast was only in the 160s. I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven for 4 more hours at 250 to bring the internal temp up to 200.

This seems to take more time that what I usually have available.

• Admin Team

A typical shoulder shouldn’t take that long. But, with the electric you should be able to set it and pretty much forget it once you get a few smokes underneath you.  

I little iGrill mini is a good thermometer for under $50.  There are better ones that you can spend a lot more on - but this is all you need to get started.  

Being able to put something in the evening before and not worry about it until you get up is convenient.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I do need the thermometer. I have an old school probe thermometer, but I like the idea of the wireless one.

I'm not sure the thermometer on my smoker is accurate. I started on 225, and soon bumped it up to 235 to actually get some smoke. After 16 hours, the internal; temp of the roast was only in the 160s. I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven for 4 more hours at 250 to bring the internal temp up to 200.

This seems to take more time that what I usually have available.

My smoker has a separate element for the wood chips. I smoke butts at 225

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

What brand is your smoker? Mine is a Masterbuilt. When you add chips, you have to rotate dump the chips after you slide them in by rotating the wood chip loader. If you don't do that, it ain't gonna smoke.

Yeah....that's what I have and how it works.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. This made some awesome pulled pork!!!!!!!:yum:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

You're supposed to clean them ?  :eek:

They don't get hot enough to burn off all the grease and food residue like a grill. I would expect the inside to get all molded and funky if you didn't clean it.

https://heygrillhey.com/simple-smoked-pulled-pork/

Here's what I did in case anyone wants to try it. I don't know how you could improve on it, but I guess individual tastes may vary.

https://heygrillhey.com/best-sweet-rub-grilled-pork-chicken/

^^^and the rub.

Edited by gregintenn

Cooked a chicken on it for lunch today. Salt and pepper chicken. Hickory wood chips for smoke. Water in water tray. Cooked on 240 degrees at 1 hour per pound of meat. Internal temp 165.

This was simply amazing!!!!

The smoker has proven to be quite the hit at our house.

• Like 5