The birthday fairy brought me a smoker....

29 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Cooked a chicken on it for lunch today. Salt and pepper chicken. Hickory wood chips for smoke. Water in water tray. Cooked on 240 degrees at 1 hour per pound of meat. Internal temp 165.

This was simply amazing!!!!

The smoker has proven to be quite the hit at our house.

If you like Salt & Pepper Chicken you would probably love Lemon Pepper Chicken. I cook it often on my grill.  Chicken breasts with butter or margerine and Lemon Pepper wrapped in foil and put it on the top grate of my gas grill at 300 degrees for an hour to hour and 10 minutes depending on how big breasts are. Use old style stick in Thermometer and reads at 180 + it's ready to eat. I get the large jars of it at Sams.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
On 7/22/2018 at 5:18 PM, Garufa said:

All this talk is giving me ideas.  What does a fella need to look for in an electric smoker?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt-MES-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/1000386183

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have. This is my first rodeo with smoking meat, so I know nothing about it, but this one seems simple and straightforward. I'm guessing most models would provide at least the same service. All they need it heat, a place for the wood chips, water pan, and a rack to put meat on.

24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt-MES-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/1000386183

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have. This is my first rodeo with smoking meat, so I know nothing about it, but this one seems simple and straightforward. I'm guessing most models would provide at least the same service. All they need it heat, a place for the wood chips, water pan, and a rack to put meat on.

That's like mine

• Like 1

I considered an electric but went with the propane instead. I just liked the fact that I could use it anywhere instead of having to be close to the house or using an extension cord. I'm very happy with mine.

You guys talking about thermometers got me looking. For the price, I might have to give one of these a try. Right now, I use a Thermapen which is great but I still have to open the door to use it.

https://www.bbqguys.com/maverick/redi-chek-wireless-digital-bbq-thermometer-with-two-hybrid-probes

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 1

Memphis Rub

4 servings

"This zesty rub will bring out the best in ribs and other meats. Try it on chicken!"

1/4 cup paprika

1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar    

2 teaspoons salt (or not)   

1 teaspoon celery salt (or seed)

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon thyme

Mix in a small airtight container and store in a cool dark place. 

• Like 1

I didn't go to Piggly Wiggly but that buddy of mine with that big smoker told me of a store he buys his meat at and it is a placed called H.G Hill Market here in Gallatin. It's a small grocery store at the end of a strip mall on Nashville Pike near dollar store. I went there yesterday and could not believe the prices of meats. Nice thick Ribeyes 3.99 a lb, Botton end cut Roasts, 2.99 a lb, Top end pot roasts $3.49 a lb. They also had some pick 5 for $19.95 deals on Pork and Chicken. I bought a few things yesterday but will be going back there when check comes in.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I didn't go to Piggly Wiggly but that buddy of mine with that big smoker told me of a store he buys his meat at and it is a placed called H.G Hill Market here in Gallatin. It's a small grocery store at the end of a strip mall on Nashville Pike near dollar store. I went there yesterday and could not believe the prices of meats. Nice thick Ribeyes 3.99 a lb, Botton end cut Roasts, 2.99 a lb, Top end pot roasts $3.49 a lb. They also had some pick 5 for $19.95 deals on Pork and Chicken. I bought a few things yesterday but will be going back there when check comes in.

Had a buddy who worked in the strip and was always getting great cuts of meat for fantastic prices at H.G. Hill Market.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:34 PM, MacGyver said:

I also like to do smoked pork belly burnt ends.  

Remove the skin. Score it just through the fat layer in inch squares. Use a good rub of your choice.  

I like to smoke up to 203F.  Then I’ll pull it and let it rest.  While doing that, I’ll open up  the air on the smoker and bring the temperature up to around 400F. 

About 30 minutes before serving, I’ll cut it into inch squares, toss it in a sauce and put it back on the grill to caramelize the sauce.

It probably needs a surgeon general’s warning.  I did a 22lbs belly in the 4th that was gone in about 20 minutes   

203F,  Spoken with the precision of a true engineer.     At first I thought you meant to type 230F, but when you typed it twice, it made me think differently.   

On 7/20/2018 at 8:24 PM, MacGyver said:

Brisket West Texas style:

Trim hard fat.  Rub half and half with salt and pepper.  Smoke around 225-250. Use a water pan.

I like to pull it out of the smoke around 4 hours and wrap it in parchment.  Expect it to stall for while.  A bigger brisket might stall around 160 and again around 185.  

I usually pull mine around 203.  I let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.  That’s important.  

If you’re on YouTube, Aaron Franklin is the master.  

• Admin Team
9 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

203F,  Spoken with the precision of a true engineer.     At first I thought you meant to type 230F, but when you typed it twice, it made me think differently.   

203-205F is the sweet spot for me.  That's right where all the fat on the brisket has rendered and the meat it as the peak of tenderness.  In my experience, you start getting dry and tough from there.

• Like 1