Disturbing Info about our Vaunted Leader

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

Grilled Filets last night. Mine beautifully rare, wife's medium.

Side note: I love steak tartar.

I do like most steaks medium to medium rare (with an applicable char on the outside). That being true, I cannot bring myself to trying steak tartar. I love sushi. I'll eat (quality, of course) raw fillets (sashimi) with nothing else. I love it. But tartar? Uh.

I had a woman order a filet one time "as rare as you can make it". The cook asked me for clarification. He then put it on the grill for less than a minute per side I think. He basically put some grill marks on each side and sent it out. The customer said it was good but "could have been a little more on the rare side". That thing had to still be cold in the middle. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Somewhere, in one of our many boxes of old pictures, we have a picture of our oldest daughter sitting in her highchair gnawing on a steak bone with blood running down her arm and dripping off her elbow. This was before she had any teeth. 

Now days, we would probably get reported to Child Services :grouchy:

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

If I'm paying for a steak, anything past rare is over cooked IMHO.  I'm not going to judge a guy by how he orders his steak. However, if he puts ketchup on it then I may start judging.

Hmmm. No ketchup here. But can a guy get away with Hienz 57? I seem to have, I mean I know a guy who seems to have an addiction to 57 and uses it on many different things. 

6 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

This thing?

Interesting.

Not for meat (directly), but I've always wanted one of these. You put it on your grill (or in the oven, I suppose) and get it really hot. Then you use a pizza peel and place the pizza on the "stone". I've never tried it, but what I've read is that it works very, very well for making good crusts.

I have a stone pizza stone, it is the only way to bake a pizza.

3 hours ago, res308 said:

Hmmm. No ketchup here. But can a guy get away with Hienz 57? I seem to have, I mean I know a guy who seems to have an addiction to 57 and uses it on many different things. 

If I have to put any sauce on a steak in order to make it edible, I ask to speak to a manager and we don't go back to that establishment.

• Like 7
  • Admin Team
39 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

If I have to put any sauce on a steak in order to make it edible, I ask to speak to a manager and we don't go back to that establishment.

I was in a steak house in Houston one time where a party at a table next to us was making a big deal about everything - just to show what a big shot he was.  

He had complained about where they had been seated previously.  He sent back an appetizer and rejected a bottle of wine.  When the server came out with his steak, he asked for A1 and threw a fit when told they didn’t have it. 

The chef came out a minute later with the man’s jacket and kicked him out. 

• Like 11
24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It ain't blood, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!! It's meat juices.:wall:

A while back at a restaurant,  The waitress asked if I needed steak sauce for my filet mignon. I politely told her "I sure hope not".

I have said that exact same thing.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I have said that exact same thing.

32 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It ain't blood, dammit!!!!!!!!!!!! It's meat juices.:wall:

A while back at a restaurant,  The waitress asked if I needed steak sauce for my filet mignon. I politely told her "I sure hope not".

This is my standard answer to that question. The meat will live or die on its own merits. 

40 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

<pedantry>

Kahr, the word you want is "vaunted" not "vaulted".

</pedantry>

- OS

Doh.  Well you see I hold David in such high regard that I thought vaulted just fit better....yeah that’s the ticket. 

20 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

This thing?

Interesting.

Not for meat (directly), but I've always wanted one of these. You put it on your grill (or in the oven, I suppose) and get it really hot. Then you use a pizza peel and place the pizza on the "stone". I've never tried it, but what I've read is that it works very, very well for making good crusts.

My Neighbor has one of those things that he got when he bought the entire copperware set which cost about 300 Bucks but I don't think he has ever used it but then I have not ask him either. Normally when he tries a new piece of the stuff he is over at my house telling me if he likes it or not. He's like me, Bachlor that cooks for him and a beagle which is his best friend. His dog eats better than I do. Yesterday morning the dog had Sausage, eggs, Biscuits and white gravy for breakfast. All poor Darby had was left over New York Strip steak for breakfast.