Source for blade steel in Knoxville/east TN?

• Authorized Vendor
12 minutes ago, East_TN_Patriot said:

I’ve restarted my interest in doing some forging, but haven’t had any luck finding a local source for steel suitable for blade forging. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

If you want known steel check out New Jersey Steel Baron on line. Excellent selection and been using them for years. As far a local I can't help but maybe check out scrap/salvage yards for leaf/coil springs as if done properly can make some excellent blades.  Good luck and can't wait to see some of your creations!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

If you want known steel check out New Jersey Steel Baron on line. Excellent selection and been using them for years. As far a local I can't help but maybe check out scrap/salvage yards for leaf/coil springs as if done properly can make some excellent blades.  Good luck and can't wait to see some of your creations!

Thanks! I figured shipping steel would be expensive, but that may be my only option. I’ll definitely check them out.

I did some forging several years ago at a local co-op that isn’t around anymore. There was always a supply of spring steel and bandsaw metal on hand and I never had to source any.  What kind of grinder are you running?

• Admin Team

New Jersey Steel Baron is the best in the business for blade steel. 

Any big yard can get you about anything you want - but you run into minimum order limits. 

On common stuff like 1095 and O1, I’ve actually had really good luck buying small quantities on Amazon.  They may not be the absolute cheapest - but the free two-day shipping for Prime members more than offsets the delta.  

• Authorized Vendor
18 minutes ago, East_TN_Patriot said:

Thanks! I figured shipping steel would be expensive, but that may be my only option. I’ll definitely check them out.

I did some forging several years ago at a local co-op that isn’t around anymore. There was always a supply of spring steel and bandsaw metal on hand and I never had to source any.  What kind of grinder are you running?

I have two.....one is from Beaumont Metal Works...

https://beaumontmetalworks.com/kmg-belt-grinder-packages/

and a homemade version of the same one. I have several arms set up with a small wheel attachment, one with a 10" wheel and other smaller sizes as well as a flat platten. I find having additional arms set up ready to go eliminated tedious time having to reset all adjustments and reconfigurations. Just pull one arm out, insert another and go.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
28 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

I have two.....one is from Beaumont Metal Works...

https://beaumontmetalworks.com/kmg-belt-grinder-packages/

and a homemade version of the same one. I have several arms set up with a small wheel attachment, one with a 10" wheel and other smaller sizes as well as a flat platten. I find having additional arms set up ready to go eliminated tedious time having to reset all adjustments and reconfigurations. Just pull one arm out, insert another and go.

One of these days I’m going to buy a KMG Grinder.  

As far as I’m concerned, that’s the best grinder in the business.  

• Like 1

What steel are you specifically looking for? I know a guy at a metal fab shop up here in the Tricities. I asked him about stuff once when I was doing some smithing. Seemed like they had or could get most anything. They do A LOT of work.

8 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Metals Supermarket off Lovell could be an option. I use them occasionally for work but don't know what they carry so far as blade steel goes. Same for Specialty Metals on Scottish Hill Pike. 

Their website says they carry blade steels, but when I went out there they said the website isn’t correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Try Admiral Steel good price and selection. For a 3" x 72" piece the shipping is reasonable and its enough for a bunch of knives. Jersey Baron is good also, met him several times at the New York Knife Show which is held in New Jersey now since New York City started arresting people leaving the show with knives several years ago, got to love that.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to agree that Admiral Steel has the Best prices and shipping for Blade steel, especially if you can catch one of their sales. As for 2x72 Grinders with a Variable Speed Motor setup with a 8”-12” wheel and Flat Platen, and Every other imaginable Quick Change accessory. Check out Pheer Grinders, they make the Machines that some of the Best Knife Makers use. And you can’t Beat the price of their Machines they are all made in House and Top Quality. 

https://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/

They are Great 👍🏻