Bats!

Well, a pair observed last night in the light of the silvery moon.

Healthy little eco system going on in my country like subdivision.

Deer, foxes (once), one hummingbird annually, honey bees, rabbits, niice population of lightning bugs, and dead voles.

We have a 3 member glaring or clowder patrolling the perimeter.

I’ve had about 5 red tail hawks hanging out in my back yard for the past couple of weeks.  Subsequently, the chipmunk population of my ecosystem appears to have been decimated.

Speaking of bats, every year I swear I’m gonna put up a bat house to help control the mosquitoes of which there is no shortage around here.  One of these days I might actually do it.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

We're very near D.T. Franklin and have a small creek  in the back. I have observed mink, fox, coyote, hawks, heron, turkey,  deer, possum,  armadillos, hummingbirds and yes... bats. Last 2-3 seasons we've enjoyed a pair of returning bluebirds.I don't know why, but I really look forward to seeing them. 

• Like 1

Sounds  like our place Garfua and usuviri.

We have a running spring with all that draws.

Coopers Hawks, Water snakes, snapping turtles(big ones), foxes(red...cut little guys), deer, possum, raccoons, hummingbirds, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Finches, Titmouse, Doves, woodpeckers, and recently, the coyotes have made a re-appearence.

The coyotes I could do without. 

Our bats seem to have deserted us this year, as the mosquito populate is eating me alive.

Going to get a new bat house and get up. See if that helps.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

The hammer-headed bat, also known as the big-lipped bat, is a megabat widely distributed in equatorial Africa. This large bat is found in riverine forests, mangroves, swamps, and palm forests at elevations less than.More at Wikipedia

I ran across the picture on another group and googled it thinking it might have been a photoshop.

• Thanks 1
On 7/28/2018 at 10:41 PM, res308 said:

You sure that ain't a pterodactyl? I hope that's not here in Tennessee!

it looks bigger than it is.  They only get to about a foot in length.  Still big but not as big as it looks in that picture.