What kind of car is this?

Cars look so much alike these days that I can't tell them apart any more unless I can read the brand name on the car. I call them Cookie Cutters. All the companies are copying all the others ideas. That is why in most news broadcasts when a crime is committed and the bad guys get away in a car most times they said it was a black 4 door sedan or a white 4 door but seldom give a model................JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

Yep, it's one of KIA's logos. They use that one in Korea and since it looks so much better than the "KIA" logo we get, some owners have turned to replacing the US logo with the Korean-market one. It also helps hide the fact that they're driving a KIA . . .

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Cars look so much alike these days that I can't tell them apart any more unless I can read the brand name on the car. I call them Cookie Cutters. All the companies are copying all the others ideas. That is why in most news broadcasts when a crime is committed and the bad guys get away in a car most times they said it was a black 4 door sedan or a white 4 door but seldom give a model................JMHO

This isn't new.  Cars from the 20s look alike.  Cars from the 30's look alike.  Cars from the 40's look alike and so on and so on.   What changes is your level of caring.  You don't care about the cars so you don't take the time to learn the small design details that tell you one from another.  I think this is true of everyone and not just you.   And its not just limited to cars.  I bet most non gun people would say the same thing about all polymer pistols or about CZ75s, HiPowers and 1911s.   

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

This isn't new.  Cars from the 20s look alike.  Cars from the 30's look alike.  Cars from the 40's look alike and so on and so on.   What changes is your level of caring.  You don't care about the cars so you don't take the time to learn the small design details that tell you one from another.  I think this is true of everyone and not just you.   And its not just limited to cars.  I bet most non gun people would say the same thing about all polymer pistols or about CZ75s, HiPowers and 1911s.   

Well I would agree with you except for 1 thing. From the time I was old enough to drive I have been able to tell you exactly what car was parked 25 feet away from me if someone asked me. I could look at a 1955 Chevy and a 1956 Chevy and even though they looked very similar there was distinct differences in them. Same with Ford and all other car makers. When I came home from serving my country I became an ASE Certified Master mechanic and I could look at any car sitting 25 feet away from 1973 till 1992 when I had to quit turning wrenches due to health reasons and tell you what it was. At that point I quit being quite as interested in car brands and styles. My son Ronnie is at present time as ASE Certified Master Mechanic and took over the business when I had to retire and he can still look at cookie cutter cars and tell you what the make and model it is cause he works on them everyday.

You cannot say that a 1955 Chevy BelAir looked like a 1955 Ford Custom and you could not tell them apart standing in a end zone and looking at the two cars sitting on the 50 yard line. I sure could. But today you can put a Ford Focus, Toyota Camry, Kia, Nissan Altima , Hyundi Alantra, Honda, Mercedes, Lincoln and most of the others on the 50 yard line, all in the same color and it would be difficult to pick out 1 particular car brand. The only one that still stands out at all is the Cadillac and the Escalade is almost a twin to the GMC Yukon and Chevy Traverse since Cadillac started making Cross overs.

Now with that said Chrysler/Dodge has stood out from the crowd and did not as of yet followed the cookie cutter crowd but for how much longer remains to be seen since a Eropean car company bought them out a few years back..........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
15 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Yep, it's one of KIA's logos. They use that one in Korea and since it looks so much better than the "KIA" logo we get, some owners have turned to replacing the US logo with the Korean-market one. It also helps hide the fact that they're driving a KIA . . .

Kia has been knocking off styling features from Lexus for several years now, why not go ahead and use basically the same logo but rotate it a little.   (I say that assuming that Lexus used the logo first, without doing an internet search as to which logo came first, but my money is on Lexus.) 

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

Kia has been knocking off styling features from Lexus for several years now, why not go ahead and use basically the same logo but rotate it a little.   (I say that assuming that Lexus used the logo first, without doing an internet search as to which logo came first, but my money is on Lexus.) 

Kia/Hyundai/Daewoo is a total knock-off company. When they did it their way, we got the masterpiece known as the Excel.  

It was awful and they knew it.  They also knew their neighbors at Toyota made pretty good cars.  So they poached a fair number of key people and adopted Toyota's quality system.  It took a decade or more, but the cars got better.  

Once their quality wasn't bottom of the barrel, they decided they needed better styling.  So they poached a few German designers and suddenly their cars started looking like Mercedes and Audis.  

All the safety regulations now drive the designs in the same direction, and car sales aren't real good, so no one is willing to go out on a limb style wise.