Law of Self Defense

Branca's 8/1 show had a really good explanation of the difference between Stand Your Ground and Self Defense Immunity, (which often get conflated or misused.)  You can watch the 30 minute production for free at The Law of Self Defense Patreon page for about 24 hrs.  Stand Your Ground was misused by a lot of media, and even the Florida sheriff in a recent shooting that made the news.

Andrew Branca is also doing an in depth analysis of the new show "Rest in Power: The Trayvon Martin Story."  Branca followed the whole trial as it happened.  His draft analysis of the first episode is pretty good.  TheLawofSelfDefense .com/Trayvon for more info.

Branca is a little too full of himself, and too self promoting, but he knows his stuff.

• 2 months later...

I became interested in LAWS of SELF DEFENSE  some months ago after I became interested in shooting pistols. My first pistol bought was a 22 RUGER SR22 for plinking targets, bought DEC 2015.

Sort of migrated to other pistols and a 9MM.

Sort of migrated to a Carry Permit mainly so I could transport guns to where ever  (to ranges mostly) without worrying about taking it off the transport vehicle (MC or Car).

Sort of migrated into Carry from having a Carry Permit.  

FINALLY, Sort of migrated into Laws of Self Defense.

Laws of Self Defense should have come before any CARRY PERMIT or CARRY thoughts.  I know that now that I have some knowledge of Laws of Self Defense gained from a study (not just a quick read) of Andrew's book "Laws of Self Defense".  And, other info from Andrew, USCCA, CCWSafe, and 7 DVDs from Concealed Carry university (studied those also). By The Way -- I am not an expert on the laws, it's very complicated and made worse by all these states.   

MY OPINION NOW --- No one should be given a Carry Permit until some sort of Laws of Self Defense course is completed: That be training for defense techniques and use of weapon of deadly force and weapons not deadly force (mace, etc.) and a study of the Laws of Self Defense.  

WHY? Because you can get  in a lot of legal trouble for brandishing or using a weapon of deadly force.

It ain't as simple as the 'Redneck' Attitude and Comments you hear. Like "shoot first and ask questions later", 'shoot them and drag them back in the house" -- likely you have heard them all. 

How many Carry Folks even know the 5 critical elements of Self Defense? By the way, any one of which if not met can put you in prison for a very long time. I should name the 5, but let you look them up (maybe learn something). 

Not to mention the cost of a legal defense which is many 100s of thousand dollars.  To start with is Bond Money and Retainer FEE for a Lawyer, total there maybe $100K or more.   

Edited by PAULSHOOT

Got to admit I am a Branca fan.  Took his daylong class in Nashville couple years ago.  Read his book a couple of times.  Never miss his weekly webinar.  The guy is endorsed by Massad and about every gun show host in the country.  I think he gives solid info, but like most things there are two sides to most positions.  However, if you carry a gun it would be prudent to give his book a read.

• Moderators

Branca was here during the Zimmerman trial providing some commentary, but mostly promoting himself to build his brand. I don’t know anyone who had ever heard of him before then. 

He’s good at his hustle, and he may very well know his stuff, but his presence here was primarily about selling himself, not about adding to the community here.  I wasn’t a mod back then, so I don’t know about the internal discussions that went on and how it went down.

What I do know is that our community is often remarked to be one of the best folks have been apart of, especially amongst gun boards. If I sound proud of this place, I am. I am of the opinion that this community is built on folks who are invested in it. That means invested in the people in it, through building relationships or if you’re trying to sell them something, you’re at least invested monetarily as a vendor. Branca didn’t do either. From my perspective he appeared to think that his presence here was value enough to be able to shill himself here. Apparently, the folks whose opinion really mattered didn’t agree. 

No great loss. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I thing David gunned him because he was peddling his book without becoming e vendor. I warned him in a PM that he was gonna get popped if he kept it up. He didn't listen. Anyway, that's how I remember it.

Oh well... Looks like he's still a member here...

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/profile/9356-law-of-self-defense/

Edited by mikegideon

Like him or hate him, that was a very good discussion on an aspect of TN law that can be enlightening and beneficial to readers.  Granted, a little more civility was in order and that should have taken place with the mods and vendor rules adhered to.  Always enjoy the legal discussion on SD.

I din't know about any conflicts about Andrew and the FORUM. I was just posting my thoughts on the 'Carry' talk and what is lacking by many, maybe most, of us. That is the Laws of Se;f Defense.  

I am not connected to Andrew in anyway other than it is the source I stumbled onto regarding the serious issues of Carry and the Laws of Self Defense (that if not followed can leave you in a mess for life). I believe he puts out good information and pretty easy to understand.

And, I do get tired of the advertising and promotion involved with his every presentation. DANG, the guy has to make a living. I expect he does well on that, but I would not pay the price for the material other than the book (it's reasonable as low as $7.95).  

Edited by PAULSHOOT

I have not done much buying or selling recently but I renewed my Benefactor status yesterday just because I want to help support a great site and I have a good many friends here and I would pay the 20 bucks even if I never used the benefits. Just knowing they are there if I choose to use them is fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1