Walther PK 380, pre range review

A.J. Holst

I recently met HiPower and ended up driving away with the Walther he had in the trading post.

Odd timing on the acquisition as I  had recently posted in the gun burn out thread.

Strange how we justify stuff...

Hopefully this review won't suck and add value to the extensive reviews and posts i read on line before buying.

Finish: stainless steel slide with nicely finished edges. Nothing sharp detected to snag or cut. Roll marks are clean. No wear to finish on safety. Glock like barrel to frame lock up.

Sights are good, made of metal. 3 dot set up; red dot on front light silver post, 2 white on dark gray rear. The color pips appear to be some kind of tube inserts, but not luminescent. I like the light colored front post, curious to shoot.

Here is real picky: casting marks are visible under close inspection on the rear sight and hammer.

Frame finish is just as good with the centerline seam being only slightly detectable. Carl Walther, Made in Germany along with Walther logo on grips is cleanly imprinted. Hard to make out in picture.

.380 Auto is clearly engraved / etched (?) on the exposed part of the chamber in the ejection port.

It is comfortable in my hand, well contoured, is full ambi with paddle mag release.

Interior finish is good, neat and tidy with no apparent unfinished edges. I can see a bit of machining on the feed ramp and it is rough to touch. Surprised they cheaped out here.

The other cost saving on finish is the unexposed part of the chamber. Maching marks are visible and not polished to same level. Picture shows no effort to polish underside of breach. A non issue since I'll see it when I clean it.

Metal guide rod with a twisted wire coil spring (pictured)

It looks like the barrel is placed in the breach, then the breach is hammered to hold the barrel in place. Picture shows two blows to the breach.

Fit: I may have read it and missed it, but discovered the barrel is flared for better lock up with the slide. Hard to see in picture.

Slide to frame is looser than my Kimber Micro or G2 G19. Since I've been shooting CZs for so long, it seems a rattle trap.

When the safety is on, the hammer is blocked from striking the firing pin, all other action continues to work.

I guess you could carry SA, safety on.

If I carry, it will be safety off, hammer down, speaking of which, it has a half cock position.

12# DA trigger is long with noticeable stack in slow motion. Comparing it to my CZs in the high 6s, it will require some getting use to. Advertised at 4# SA, it too is heavier than recent experience, but not so much as compared to DA. In both actions, it is suprisingly smooth, no noticeable metal to metal / pastic contact for increased friction. Almost as smooth as my two improved CZs. Best I can tell is very light round count, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it truly wears in. I would compare the break to a snap vs. the crack of a good SA, with virtually no slack on the reset.

Not put off needing a take down tool, as anything can be repurposed.

Planning on shooting tomorrow, will report back.

IMG_20180803_185600237.jpg

Forgot: it has no manual slide stop. Only way to lock open it to insert an empty mag or shoot it dry. Manual of arms, sling shot to charge. One reviewer said it closes on a loaded mag every single time, design feature. Not so sure about that at this point.

Edited by Gotthegoods

After 500 rounds of mixed PMC, Rem UMC, WWB, corbon, and precision one, pleased to announce zero failures on two brand new, opened the package at range, magazines.

Very comfortable to shoot, recoil is less than my CZs, which absorb recoil very well. I can get sights back on target slightly faster than the CZ.

SA trigger is really pretty nice, I do like it is a traditional style with no blade or hinge saety.

I adapted to the paddle mag release pretty quickly, it does not close on a full mag every time. My opinion is if you are expecting it, bad...if it happens, bonus.

Generous mag well for skinny mags, I think with some practice, I could keep it running if the situation escalates from the 3-3-3 probability.

I think it's a keeper and good compliment to my other .380

• Like 1

So very glad you like it. I never even tried shooting it.

Between my wife's dislike and my impulse buy on it, I felt it had to go. Glad it works well for you.

The mag came today. Late of course. lol I'll get it on the way.

Thanks again.

The Walther PK380 is a nice little pistol. It's big enough that a lot of the .380 recoil is minimized, and racking the slide is very easy. My daughter used mine several years ago when she got her HCP, and my Niece recently chose it as the first pistol that she ever shot. It's a very different magazine release, but works well once you get used to it. 

• Like 1