Sign in to follow this  
Photoguy67

Ham radio fest

I have noticed a little activity lately toward ham radio operation so I thought I would let everyone know that August 18 and 19th, there will be a ham fest in Huntsville Al. It's a fun ham fest and can be very informative if you attend some of the forums. 

If you think this would be a good event for someone interested but not yet into it, Id love to hear more about it.

Thanks for the info. Just passed my test but I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. 

• Like 1

Huntsville is a good place to get a good overview of what Ham Radio is about if you can make the trip. I have been going each year for over 40 years.

6 hours ago, Defender said:

If you think this would be a good event for someone interested but not yet into it, Id love to hear more about it.

It's one of the biggest shows around. They usually have Icom and Yaeseu set up and sometimes Kenwood is there. As well as a lot of really good dealers. Like I said, you can also learn a lot by attending the forums as well. 

This is well worth your time and expense to attend.

AK4SZ

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1

So would this be the place to pick up a radio or should I order one online?  Currently thinking Yaesu is going to be the route I go for a handheld.  Looking at the FT-60R or the VX-6R.

It is a good place to look at several brands to decide what you really like, like firearms it is often less expensive to buy online.

You just have to decide if you want to support the local dealers who want and need your business.

I would like to have a local dealer to do business with but the nearest dealer to me is Atlanta.  My first 2M was a Yaesu VX-7R and it is one of my best radios.

By "local dealers" in my comment I was referring to those at the Hamfest, Unfortunately not many (if any) ham radio stores in Tennessee.

Alinco also makes a fine dual band HT, and it's cheaper than Yaesu.  You may find the world of FM/digital HT's and repeaters to be pretty limiting.  HF is a lot more interesting to me.

After MANY years of interest, I think im about ready to actually get into this.  Not licensed yet, but this is my year.  Ive got one of those little cheap Baofeng Uv-82HP radios a while back and still havent programmed it.  Is there a radio that covers all the ranges of frequencies that i might grow into?  I cant do this like I do guns and have too many radios, lol.

3 hours ago, Defender said:

After MANY years of interest, I think im about ready to actually get into this.  Not licensed yet, but this is my year.  Ive got one of those little cheap Baofeng Uv-82HP radios a while back and still havent programmed it.  Is there a radio that covers all the ranges of frequencies that i might grow into?  I cant do this like I do guns and have too many radios, lol.

Unfortunately there is no cover all radio. The best option is to figure out what you would like to do and just get a radio that covers that. Such as, vhf-uhf, dstar, dmr, fusion, Hf, qrp, eme, cw, psk31, etc etc etc... I would say, just stick with what you have for now, get licensed, get on the air and then once you start operating, decide what area interests you and go there. Best wishes and feel free to contact me with any questions, I don't know it all, but have tried several modes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Photoguy67 said:

Unfortunately there is no cover all radio. The best option is to figure out what you would like to do and just get a radio that covers that. Such as, vhf-uhf, dstar, dmr, fusion, Hf, qrp, eme, cw, psk31, etc etc etc... I would say, just stick with what you have for now, get licensed, get on the air and then once you start operating, decide what area interests you and go there. Best wishes and feel free to contact me with any questions, I don't know it all, but have tried several modes.

Seems like sound advice.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 5:05 PM, tnhawk said:

I would like to have a local dealer to do business with but the nearest dealer to me is Atlanta.  My first 2M was a Yaesu VX-7R and it is one of my best radios.

There is Gigaparts in Hutnsville too