Nearly 60 guns stolen in vehicle burglaries so far this year

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I like Turkey's practice of cutting off the hand of a convicted thief. This cuts way down on repeat offenders as well as being a strong deterrent against potential offenders.

Didn’t realize you were a fan of sharia law. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
47 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'm not a fan of thieves.

A good idea is a good idea no matter of whose it was.

I’m not a fan of them either. What I am a fan of is proportionality, ensuring that the punishment fits the crime. Thankfully the founders were of the same mind and passed the 8th amendment to prevent that sort of nonsense. 

11 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

The only suggestion I can make is no gun related stickers.

Perhaps add a prominent anti 2A Org sticker for camouflage?

They are not only stealing guns. People leave Laptops, cell phones and even many purses and video games are stolen that are left in cars in plain sight. A thief will steal anything he/she thinks they can sell or trade for drugs.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m not a fan of them either. What I am a fan of is proportionality, ensuring that the punishment fits the crime. Thankfully the founders were of the same mind and passed the 8th amendment to prevent that sort of nonsense. 

What we are currently doing isn't working. What do you propose? I propose we reintroduce God into our country as the founders intended. There is much resistance to this. The only other option I can come up with is to make the punishment to a crime such as theft so severe that most everyone wouldn't dare commit it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

What we are currently doing isn't working. What do you propose? I propose we reintroduce God into our country as the founders intended. There is much resistance to this. The only other option I can come up with is to make the punishment to a crime such as theft so severe that most everyone wouldn't dare commit it.

They have far more severe punishment for murder but people are still killing people. I think it might slow it down if people would quit leaving stuff worth stealing in plain sight in their cars and trucks. Lock all the doors and set alarms if you have one. These are thefts of opportunity so take away the opportunity for them to steal and it goes away........JMHO

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If you want a nice easy answer, I don’t have one. Your question is essentially one that asks how to fix our culture and that’s a very complex question. I find that simple answers to complex problems are seldom as useful as they first appear. I do agree with you that our society would be better off if folks were in general of a more Godly focus, no doubt about. That said, I’m not going to run to His opposite number to fix problems caused by that state of affairs. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you want a nice easy answer, I don’t have one. Your question is essentially one that asks how to fix our culture and that’s a very complex question. I find that simple answers to complex problems are seldom as useful as they first appear. I do agree with you that our society would be better off if folks were in general of a more Godly focus, no doubt about. That said, I’m not going to run to His opposite number to fix problems caused by that state of affairs. 

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Where have you heard that before?

54 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

They have far more severe punishment for murder but people are still killing people. I think it might slow it down if people would quit leaving stuff worth stealing in plain sight in their cars and trucks. Lock all the doors and set alarms if you have one. These are thefts of opportunity so take away the opportunity for them to steal and it goes away........JMHO

Not necessarily. Many murderers today are more or less made into instant celebrities.

If a person murdered another today, and they had a trial tomorrow, found the murderer guilty, drug him out in the street and hanged him immediately,  you'd see murders decrease in short order.

If a kid had a mother and father who loved and cared for them, taught them right from wrong, disciplined them, taught them a good work ethic, and took them to church, you'd see much less crime.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Where have you heard that before?

In a completely different book than the one that talked about chopping off hands as a means to handle petty crime. For that matter, that bit you mentioned was in a way earlier chapter. It was well before the real hero showed up to teach really important lessons about forgiveness and mercy. I’m a big fan of that book, especially the second half. The other one with the hand chopping, not so much. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

In a completely different book than the one that talked about chopping off hands as a means to handle petty crime. For that matter, that bit you mentioned was in a way earlier chapter. It was well before the real hero showed up to teach really important lessons about forgiveness and mercy. I’m a big fan of that book, especially the second half. The other one with the hand chopping, not so much. 

I guess I'm not as good a Christian as I should be. I'd have a hard time forgiving someone packing off things I worked hard to purchase without my permission. You are correct, however.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I guess I'm not as good a Christian as I should be. I'd have a hard time forgiving someone packing off things I worked hard to purchase without my permission. You are correct, however.

I’m really crap at it myself, thankfully perfection isn’t required. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Meh, back when hands came off for thievery, we still had plenty of thieves taking the risk anyway.  Crime is a constant.  Do what you can to mitigate it (locked doors, keeping valuable items out of eyeshot, ect.) and punish it- reasonably- when you catch the perpetrators.  Not much else to be done unless we want to get into dystopia mode over it.

There is plenty of God all over the country no reintroduction required.  Nobody is in a bind if they want to find religion.  If they want to push it on others through government, however, they'll find resistance...which I'm all for.

• Like 1