Windows 10 update

Early June, Windows 10 had an update that eliminated my ability to print from my desktop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both of my  printers, more than a few times. Anybody know of a  reliable computer guru in the Knoxville area that could help? Thanks

I would go through some of the recommendations posted here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/all-printers-stopped-working-after-windows-10/172a3558-da4f-40e9-8ee1-9be090e4887d?page=1

Browse through them and try the simple stiff first.  You may just need something as simple as updated drivers from the printer manufacturer.

Edited by Garufa
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

For a company that's supposed to be the leader in software, Microsoft sucks.

And they want to go to a fully subscription based service where you don't own or install anything but a user interface. You connect to their server because that's where the software is. You have no control over what they change or when they change it. 

I love linux, but the software base across lots of different industries is not there. So using it in standard business is a hassle. Retraining everyone to use the Linux equivalent of even just Office would be a chore. 

I agree Microsoft acts like it hates customers. Having to tie an Office 2016 license to a MS account is ridiculous. Office 365 is a losing option financially for lots of companies. They carry market share in a lot of industries though. So sharing files and interoperability gives them an edge. Apple is it's own monster, but is not close to taking over.  

11 hours ago, Smith55 said:

will all microsoft windows apps run under Linux?

Not all.  But it does well with videos, music (I use VLC), internet browsers are good, and their version of office is good enough for the house. 

10 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I love linux, but the software base across lots of different industries is not there. So using it in standard business is a hassle. Retraining everyone to use the Linux equivalent of even just Office would be a chore. 

I agree Microsoft acts like it hates customers. Having to tie an Office 2016 license to a MS account is ridiculous. Office 365 is a losing option financially for lots of companies. They carry market share in a lot of industries though. So sharing files and interoperability gives them an edge. Apple is it's own monster, but is not close to taking over.  

Yeah, Linux for work isn't practical.  But, at work I have an IT section to keep everything patched up, direct any issues to, and can get a new computer the same day if needs be.  At home, it's just me, and Linux makes management of everything quite easy.

35 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Not all.  But it does well with videos, music (I use VLC), internet browsers are good, and their version of office is good enough for the house. 

Yeah, Linux for work isn't practical.  But, at work I have an IT section to keep everything patched up, direct any issues to, and can get a new computer the same day if needs be.  At home, it's just me, and Linux makes management of everything quite easy.

Unfortunately I am the support at the work side... lol

There are a couple work around routes if Linux isn't robust enough for you.

1)  Dual boot drive.  Most LinuxOS flavors will let you install a dual boot, where you partition your hard drive.  I tried this on a Win7 box a while back, but not sure how it would work with Windows10. 

2)  Make Linux the primary OS, and run a version of Windows in a VM.  Virtual Box works well enough, but I'm sure there are others.

Not saying it's the be all, end all...just that you have options outside of what large corporations think is best for you (when it's really best for them).