Everything About a Handi-Rifle in 22 Hornet

Sidewinder

I would like to know all of the details about a Handi-Rifle chambered in 22 Hornet. I'm considering one and have never even seen one in person, only pics. Things I'm interested in is: trigger pull weight, accuracy, total gun weight, functionality of cocking the hammer with a scope installed, quality of the iron sights, length and twist of the barrel, what kind of wood is the stock and forearm made of, interchangeability of barrels, and just some reviews from people that own or have owned one. Even "opinions" are appreciated. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I love Handi Rifles, but they’re not known for their triggers. I’ve only ever had one that I would say had a great trigger out of the box.  

But, they’re great rifles.  

Thanks for the info, MacGyver. I've heard that the barrels are interchangeable. Does this mean that "all" barrels will interchange, or just the rifle barrels? Do you know if extra barrels are pretty readily available? Thanks again.

• Admin Team

Barrels are generally interchangeable among a particular generation frame - with some exceptions.  

Since Remington killed off New England Firearms and H&R, rarer barrels are getting increasingly hard to find. 

A friend of mine had one years ago and it was a fairly accurate rifle. Plenty accurate for groundhogs out to 200 yards or so. Normal groups that he was getting was about 3/4" at the best. But, it was light and with a hammer spur worked good with a scope. The best i can remember was the trigger pull was fair. Not really stiff but, not a target grade trigger. Wood was a walnut stained, wood. Probably birch or something similar in color.

I knew someone in the 90s who had an H&R in 22 hornet. It's wasn't bad but the cartridge peaked my interest more than the gun. My pursuit of the 22 hornet led me to a Ruger 77 a few years later. I found it at a Dicks Sporting goods in Michigan. It was on clearance for $339.99. it's the only firearm I've never parted with. 

19 hours ago, hornett22 said:

I knew someone in the 90s who had an H&R in 22 hornet. It's wasn't bad but the cartridge peaked my interest more than the gun. My pursuit of the 22 hornet led me to a Ruger 77 a few years later. I found it at a Dicks Sporting goods in Michigan. It was on clearance for $339.99. it's the only firearm I've never parted with. 

Hornett22, I have one of the Ruger 77/22s in 22 hornet also and love it. I just thought I might look for a Handi-Rifle in 22 Hornet to plink around with. I have Contenders in 22 Hornet pistol and rifle barrels and like the switch-ability of barrels. As MacGyver said above these barrels are interchangeable also. I think one with a 22 Hornet barrel capable of switching to a 20 gauge shotgun barrel would be fun and useful.

• Admin Team
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

They are neat little rifles, but if you are accustomed to a Contender, you will likely not be pleased with the trigger. I thought you had to have barrels fitted for the Handi Rifles, but I could be wrong.

H&R wanted them back to fit - I expect for liability reasons.  

I’ve bought several second hand over the years that all checked out fine.  

But, yeah. If you don’t know what you’re looking at - it might be good to enlist someone who can be sure.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification, Mac.

The appeal of the handi rifles was that they were about the cheapest way to get into a center fire rifle. Now that they've been discontinued, the prices have climbed to the point that that really isn't the case anymore.

I have an h&r topper (same thing) that came with a 30-30 barrel as well as a 20 gauge shotgun barrel. It is short and light, but the rifle barrel will shoot sub moa groups consistently in spite of it's mediocre trigger. It was my first gun and has accounted for a LOT of game. I still have it, complete with box and papers.

I once bought a heavy barreled handi rifle in 22-250 and never could get it to shoot that well. It ain't here anymore.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Admin Team

Yep, the price tag was the single best feature of the handi rifles.  That and the fact that they served a great utilitarian purpose well.  Sometimes you don’t need a lot of junk, you just need a rifle to get the job done.  

I converted a 45-70 to  smokeless muzzleloader a couple of years back. It’s great for that purpose.  

But - now that they’re not sub-$200 anymore, unless you’re just filling out a collection - I don’t know that there’s a ton of appeal. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yep, the price tag was the single best feature of the handi rifles.  That and the fact that they served a great utilitarian purpose well.  Sometimes you don’t need a lot of junk, you just need a rifle to get the job done.  

I converted a 45-70 to  smokeless muzzleloader a couple of years back. It’s great for that purpose.  

But - now that they’re not sub-$200 anymore, unless you’re just filling out a collection - I don’t know that there’s a ton of appeal. 

That's cool.

My father has made a barrel for his Encore with a brass insert to hold a shotgun primer. It is a 45 cal muzzleloader. The brass insert can be removed, and it is then chambered for a 45-70.

He'd purchased two of these barrel blanks with the idea of building a double rifle. He has since abandoned that idea for whatever reason. I'll be interested to see what he does with the other barrel blank.

• Admin Team

That’s a neat idea.  

It was a fun project - and is loads of fun to shoot.  It was a good barrel beforehand, and retained its accuracy.  I’d be plenty comfortable with a shot out to 200 meters.  It could probably go farther - I’ve just not stretched its legs.  

Truthfully, I tried it first on a handi rifle planning on working my way up to doing the same on a Ruger No. 1.  But, the handi rifle shoots so well, I just stopped there.  

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

That's cool.

My father has made a barrel for his Encore with a brass insert to hold a shotgun primer. It is a 45 cal muzzleloader. The brass insert can be removed, and it is then chambered for a 45-70.

He'd purchased two of these barrel blanks with the idea of building a double rifle. He has since abandoned that idea for whatever reason. I'll be interested to see what he does with the other barrel blank.

I wonder if the game warden would take Issue with the removable insert? Maybe okay so long as you didn’t have shells on your person?

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

That’s a neat idea.  

It was a fun project - and is loads of fun to shoot.  It was a good barrel beforehand, and retained its accuracy.  I’d be plenty comfortable with a shot out to 200 meters.  It could probably go farther - I’ve just not stretched its legs.  

Truthfully, I tried it first on a handi rifle planning on working my way up to doing the same on a Ruger No. 1.  But, the handi rifle shoots so well, I just stopped there.  

I've never seen a Number 1 Ruger made into a muzzleloader. That would be pretty neat.

I now remember what he did with the other barrel.....Smokeless muzzlerloader on a 700 Remington action.

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I wonder if the game warden would take Issue with the removable insert? Maybe okay so long as you didn’t have shells on your person?

I asked him that. He didn't seem to think the game warden would realize how it worked unless he explained it to him. With the insert in place, it cannot be loaded from the breech end. I believe that is the legal definition of a muzzleloader according to the TWRA.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, Sidewinder!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
On 8/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, gregintenn said:

I asked him that. He didn't seem to think the game warden would realize how it worked unless he explained it to him. With the insert in place, it cannot be loaded from the breech end. I believe that is the legal definition of a muzzleloader according to the TWRA.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, Sidewinder!

Hey, no problem guys. I'm getting educated on the life and times of the Handi Rifle. Actually, the prices are still pretty reasonable over on one of the major gun sites, specifically in their H&R Classified Forum. I'm getting educated over there too. The more I learn, the better I like the versatile Handi Rifle.