Anyone put in for draw hunts?

I got drawn for Cheatham gun and muzzleloader. I’ve never even been there although I know where it is. I’m pretty excited to hunt a new place. Must have four points on one side or minimum 15” spread so it should be a good buck or none. It’ll be nice to have a change of scenery. Anyone get drawn for anything? Also anyone hunted Cheatham before? Figure I’m gonna have to walk a ways to get away from the crowd. 

Edited by rugerla1
7 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I forgot to enter. I just found my TWRA calendar with the entry form two days ago. :doh:

Dang! I only found out that you could even do it a couple years ago! I just paid for my license and hunted, never looked into all the options we have. 

Do you have a better understanding of the points? So if you put in for hunts and don’t get drawn, then you get preference points. But if you happen to get drawn then you don’t get any preference points wether you go on the hunt you’re awarded or not right? I’m mainly asking because for Presidents Island you apparently have to have 10 or so to even get drawn for antlered hunt from what I hear. So I guess you’d just have to keep applying for PI and wait until your points add up because if you put in for other hunts and get drawn then you’re not collecting points? 

I am not sure how the point system works.  Presidents Island is usually the only one I apply for anyway.

I usually do not like to hunt a place that I can not scout adequately.  Most of the draw hunts are places far enough away that I don't have time to go scout.  Presidents Island is a place I would make an exception for.  Some really nice bucks are taken there every year.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Dang! I only found out that you could even do it a couple years ago! I just paid for my license and hunted, never looked into all the options we have. 

Do you have a better understanding of the points? So if you put in for hunts and don’t get drawn, then you get preference points. But if you happen to get drawn then you don’t get any preference points wether you go on the hunt you’re awarded or not right? I’m mainly asking because for Presidents Island you apparently have to have 10 or so to even get drawn for antlered hunt from what I hear. So I guess you’d just have to keep applying for PI and wait until your points add up because if you put in for other hunts and get drawn then you’re not collecting points? 

Yep! That's the way the point system works. I haven't been in yrs. Got to the point where I couldn't drag one out if I killed it. my fav spot has always been Land Between The Lakes. Sometimes takes a while to get drawn, but great place to hunt. It's totally separate from the State drawing. Go online to their website & you an see how it works. Too late for this yr tho.

Good luck with your hunt(s).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Yep! That's the way the point system works. I haven't been in yrs. Got to the point where I couldn't drag one out if I killed it. my fav spot has always been Land Between The Lakes. Sometimes takes a while to get drawn, but great place to hunt. It's totally separate from the State drawing. Go online to their website & you an see how it works. Too late for this yr tho.

Good luck with your hunt(s).

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that about LBL either. 

Thanks for the luck as well, I’ll be in the woods every minute I can like every year. I learn tons every year versus the year before and enjoy every second in the stand. 

40 minutes ago, martin5 said:

Me being in east Tn. I put in for oak ridge every year but haven't been drawn in 2years. I put in for Catoosa muzzle loader last year and got it. That wasn't worth going for. CWD got most of the herd.

I’ve heard that from several people. Hopefully it’ll be better for those who got drawn this season. 

20 hours ago, martin5 said:

Me being in east Tn. I put in for oak ridge every year but haven't been drawn in 2years. I put in for Catoosa muzzle loader last year and got it. That wasn't worth going for. CWD got most of the herd.

I used to hunt Catoosa ( Bi-Color), about every year. A bunch of guys from Hartsville & surrounding area, 10 - 15 of us. Rarely ever killed anything but time. Lot of fun tho.

After the Forestry Service took over LBL from TVA, things changed some. Less getting off the main roads to get back in the woods, camping restricted to established camp grds, etc. At one time, one of, if not the best place in the state to hunt. Still be my 1st choice ( if I had one, LOL )

• Like 1

I used to like Catoosa. I've never brought a deer out though. I shot my first deer there in 1992 on the open rifle hunt and he got stolen before I could get to him. I didn't hunt there again for about 15 years. As far as LBL goes I've never been but my pops says it's great and wants to go back.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, martin5 said:

I used to like Catoosa. I've never brought a deer out though. I shot my first deer there in 1992 on the open rifle hunt and he got stolen before I could get to him. I didn't hunt there again for about 15 years. As far as LBL goes I've never been but my pops says it's great and wants to go back.

Man sorry about your buck! That takes a low down scumbag to take another mans deer.