your own private gun range in city limits?

hey everyone had an idea for something and wanted to see if it would be within the law, as you all know unless you live out in the country on your own land you cannot have a private range within city limits,

so my question is this, would it be legal to dig a big deep long hole, put down a concrete base,

then add two cargo containers end to end and cover the sides with more concrete, make the inside ballistically safe with sound baffles etc as well as A/C and ventilation for lead and then cover the top in concrete and add a big steel door with a concrete entrance way,

would this be a legal way to have your own range within city limits even know of course the cost would be high, its just something i am curious about and wanted to get your thoughts.

You'd need to talk with your local officials and see what local codes and zoning regulations say, but I am pretty confident this would not be allowed.

Why not buy 10 acres of land out in the country someplace and build a range there?  Probably wouldn't cost any more that what you're talking about.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 2

Well if it's not a commercial enterprise that would help. But if your city requires building permits and there are setback regulations, etc you'r more than probably SOL. As Whisper said, do it elsewhere.

• Like 1

Without knowing what your local laws are, I would say it would also depend on how and why it becomes an issue.

I haven’t seen many laws prohibiting it that allow for it being in a bunker.  I wouldn’t think many city officials would want to sign off on it being “Safe”.

Just move to the country.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Whisper said:

You'd need to talk with your local officials and see what local codes and zoning regulations say, but I am pretty confident this would not be allowed.

Why not buy 10 acres of land out in the country someplace and build a range there?  Probably wouldn't cost any more that what you're talking about.

Cheers,

Whisper

Where are you seeing 10 acres of land for that cheap? 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

It would not fly in Gallatin for sure. It is against the law to discharge any type of firearm inside the city limits period except for indoor ranges at Gun stores.

What's the difference between him building an "indoor range" for himself in this fashion, and an indoor range at a gun store?

• Like 1

Most cities prohibit the discharge of a firearm anywhere, anytime. If yours contains that language, I'd say you're SOL.  If it doesn't, getting a building permit will likely be your next hurdle.  

Being down in a hole with lead residue isn't a great idea either. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

What's the difference between him building an "indoor range" for himself in this fashion, and an indoor range at a gun store?

Commercial vs residential would be my guess. I suppose he could establish an LLC, but then zoning and environmental regs might be a problem in addition to all the crap that goes with owning your own business. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Where are you seeing 10 acres of land for that cheap? 

If you think that an underground concrete structure that's ballistically safe and has sound baffles, HVAC, lead abatement, concrete entrance, and steel door is cheap, you've not checked construction prices in the last couple of decades.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TGO David said:

I don't see any problems with it. I just know that there would be a ton of hoops he would have to jump through to get it done in Gallatin and then after all the hoops they still may tell him no.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

You could probably legally make that structure and call it a storm shelter. (Because it would be excellent for that) Of course where I live I would have to pull a permit and have it inspected.

If someone called in and said you were shooting in it you would have a problem.

1 hour ago, chances R said:

Just do it and keep it to yourself.....

The building it might be a lot easier than the keeping it to yourself part!

So you don't think if he lives in Mt Juliet that folks in his neighborhood won't notice the two containers being delivered and depending on the concrete quanity your going to need and gravel your going to need will require cement trucks and dump trucks. I'm sure your neighbors are going to wonder what your building. You might try telling them a Fall Out Shelter for a Nuclear attack and they would come more to believing you than to tell them a storm shelter..............JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

If you did do it, and had it built where the sound wouldn't escape your property, nobody would ever know .

I won't say where, but there used to be a gun store in Nashville, and they (I plead the 5th) would regularly shoot full-auto suppressed into a ravine beside the store. This was right beside a main road and a very busy place. The fact is, with all the city sounds, nobody ever noticed.