Carrying a Walther PK 380

After a 500 round function test last week, I put into carry service, both work and personal.

For work, it was back pocket carry, grip towards spine, under a sport coat. The depth of my pockets coupled with overall  length the grip exposed to get a full, consistent grip.

With no cover garment, too exposed and not secure in close quarters.

It's possible to front pocket carry, I tried in a pair of 5.11 Tacticals. You'd have to be a pretty big guy to pull it off.

It's only slightly shorter in height and length than a traditional compact (G19/P01/etc.) but is slimmer as a single stack and the backstrap shape appears almost minimalistic layed over a Glock or CZ grip. I now understand the appeal of a bobtail 1911.

With a good belt, the weight is a non issue, especially if you consider my past EDC choices.

Speaking of belts, 2018 represents 10 years of using a proper gun belt. Best thing I even learned on this forum for EDC, get a good belt.

I used a 5.11 Tactical - leather casual. It is still serviceable, though horribly scuffed from holster clips. It is also beginning to bubble when when buckled around the waist. Stiffener is still stiff, belt shows no signs of sagging where gun and holster primary attached.

For my 50th, my BGB (best gun buddy) got me a NexBelt. Pretty cool, really like the micro adjustment, seems gimmicky, but it's not. If curious, be sure to get a gun rated buckle for the gun belt, it has 2 set screws for additional security.

Using it right now with the PK in a High Noon Upper Cut. This is a non moulded holster I brought for my SDP. Aside from about 1/2" of excess leather at the muzzle, the pistol is safe and secure.

After my recent class with Randy Harris, I discovered the challenge of a consistent, full grip using my beloved N82 Tactical (10 year history as well) 

You see, it's the sweat shield, even modified by Gjohnsoniv, it trips me up.

The Upper Cut allows me the draw grip I want to achieve. The pistol length also prevents it from rolling forward using my belt / belt line as the rotation point.

Repurposing the holster also gives my thrifty heart joy.

So why this gun over an equivalent sized none or .45?

Love my deal and gives me a second, good quality .380

It's very shootable, filling the niche of fun range gun

I believe with my reload practice, I can keep it running if we exceed 3-3-3

Being practically tactical, I probably don't need 15+ rounds on board plus 18 or 36 more...the Jared Weston video still gives credence to more bullets is better, but unless necessary, I'm probably not running towards gun fire.

During non coat and jacket months, I'm confident carrying modern .380, Precision One specifically and will be purchasing some Sig Vcrown for function testing. 

• Like 1

A ss Walther ppk in 380 is one of my carry guns, in a Sneaky Pete holster. Since getting older seem like everything just keeps getting heavier and heavier to carry. Use a tactical leg holster to carry a Ruger ss service six., when out and about on the farm, even that thing gets heavy, guess need one of the 3D printed guns made with light weight plastic, or if they have one that will use metal maybe one made with titanium cause I ain't gonna get any younger.

I've gotten away from .380 "pocket pistols" all together. I tried to carry several ones, but I can't hit squat with them, and pocket carry is extremely uncomfortable to me.

I don't know if it's the short barrel, hard to get a good grip on, crappy sights, just me, or a combination of all, but I question my ability to have good consistent shots at anything over a couple of yards. Add the fact that the .380 round is a little on the light side, I've retired the idea of .380 carry.  

14 hours ago, m16ty said:

I've gotten away from .380 "pocket pistols" all together. I tried to carry several ones, but I can't hit squat with them, and pocket carry is extremely uncomfortable to me.

I don't know if it's the short barrel, hard to get a good grip on, crappy sights, just me, or a combination of all, but I question my ability to have good consistent shots at anything over a couple of yards. Add the fact that the .380 round is a little on the light side, I've retired the idea of .380 carry.  

LOL........If I ever retired the idea of 380 Carry I would not be able to carry at all and I just don't see anything light about the 380 Caliber like some folks do........:shrug:

On 8/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, bersaguy said:

LOL........If I ever retired the idea of 380 Carry I would not be able to carry at all and I just don't see anything light about the 380 Caliber like some folks do........:shrug:

Agreed, if a .380 is all you can carry, then carry it. It’s just a personal opinion that a .380 pocket pistol is borderline inadequate. 

Also, I don’t buy into the hype that a .380 won’t stop a bad guy, but a 9mm is much better, in just a little bit bigger size.

The 380 Hornady critical defense are pretty bad boys. Jelliton tests show the 12-18" penetration that the FBI require in their tests. And the permanent wound channel is pretty bad too. The retailers must know it because they want an arm and a leg for a box or them. Got mine at Benton Shooters Supply. They got $25 for 20 of 'em 

59 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

The 380 Hornady critical defense are pretty bad boys. Jelliton tests show the 12-18" penetration that the FBI require in their tests. And the permanent wound channel is pretty bad too. The retailers must know it because they want an arm and a leg for a box or them. Got mine at Benton Shooters Supply. They got $25 for 20 of 'em 

Well I have 2 Bersa Thunders and Bersa Model 85 with 15 round capacity and all of them have Hornady Critical Defense in them and all the back up mags do to. If I can't stop a bad guy with a Thunder w/ 8 rounds he is either wearing body armor or he is superman.and in the case or Body Armor the last 4 rounds will be at his head if at all possible..................JMHO

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, hipower said:

GTG, you are beginning to make me feel stupid for selling it. lol

But I am exceedingly glad this is working for you! Very much so.

I'm almost regretting selling it to you Larry..............LOL I was afraid my Bersa's might get jealous and glad it worked out for everyone. It is a great gun and it remained in the TGO family..........JMHO

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Gotthegoods said:

After a 500 round function test last week, I put into carry service, both work and personal.

For work, it was back pocket carry, grip towards spine, under a sport coat. The depth of my pockets coupled with overall  length the grip exposed to get a full, consistent grip.

With no cover garment, too exposed and not secure in close quarters.

It's possible to front pocket carry, I tried in a pair of 5.11 Tacticals. You'd have to be a pretty big guy to pull it off.

It's only slightly shorter in height and length than a traditional compact (G19/P01/etc.) but is slimmer as a single stack and the backstrap shape appears almost minimalistic layed over a Glock or CZ grip. I now understand the appeal of a bobtail 1911.

With a good belt, the weight is a non issue, especially if you consider my past EDC choices.

Speaking of belts, 2018 represents 10 years of using a proper gun belt. Best thing I even learned on this forum for EDC, get a good belt.

I used a 5.11 Tactical - leather casual. It is still serviceable, though horribly scuffed from holster clips. It is also beginning to bubble when when buckled around the waist. Stiffener is still stiff, belt shows no signs of sagging where gun and holster primary attached.

For my 50th, my BGB (best gun buddy) got me a NexBelt. Pretty cool, really like the micro adjustment, seems gimmicky, but it's not. If curious, be sure to get a gun rated buckle for the gun belt, it has 2 set screws for additional security.

Using it right now with the PK in a High Noon Upper Cut. This is a non moulded holster I brought for my SDP. Aside from about 1/2" of excess leather at the muzzle, the pistol is safe and secure.

After my recent class with Randy Harris, I discovered the challenge of a consistent, full grip using my beloved N82 Tactical (10 year history as well) 

You see, it's the sweat shield, even modified by Gjohnsoniv, it trips me up.

The Upper Cut allows me the draw grip I want to achieve. The pistol length also prevents it from rolling forward using my belt / belt line as the rotation point.

Repurposing the holster also gives my thrifty heart joy.

So why this gun over an equivalent sized none or .45?

Love my deal and gives me a second, good quality .380

It's very shootable, filling the niche of fun range gun

I believe with my reload practice, I can keep it running if we exceed 3-3-3

Being practically tactical, I probably don't need 15+ rounds on board plus 18 or 36 more...the Jared Weston video still gives credence to more bullets is better, but unless necessary, I'm probably not running towards gun fire.

During non coat and jacket months, I'm confident carrying modern .380, Precision One specifically and will be purchasing some Sig Vcrown for function testing. 

I sure hope your a 380 reloader cause burning 500 rounds of 380 can get rather expensive these days!!!