Good holster threads?

p220

Pretty much what the title says. Looking to see if there is that "gold standard" thread about holsters. Just bought a sig p320 subcompact with accessory rail and wanted to see what holster(s) everyone likes for their pistol (I know what is right for one person is awful for the next, but it gives me something to narrow the search). Thanks so much!!!

Edited by p220
6 hours ago, p220 said:

Daily concealed carry. Kydex preferably

btq is right and a bit more info would be helpful as well.

I also agree with my friend GTG and Erik that Com-Tac makes some solid gear. I use their mag carriers in particular.

Have you decided if you want inside the waistband, outside the waistband, or appendix carry?

Do you have a purpose made belt? In my humble opinion a purpose made belt is the foundation of a quality carry system. The "best" holster made is sub-optimal if it doesn't have a mated belt. The belt must (obviously) fit the belt loops of the holster and must fit your perceived needs, manner of dress and comfort.

Holsters. There is a reason most of us have a "holster box". Holsters are similar to shoes, a person generally needs to try and find whats works best for them, so I can appreciate why you are asking for suggestions on this.

I carry AIWB and have for a number of years. So my bias is towards the makers I use for that carry position.

I'm currently carrying a Glock 17 with RMR and I'm using a Dale Fricke Seraphim matched with a Milt Sparks leather belt. Prior to my RMR'd Glock I carried a G 19 in a Dale Fricke Archangel on a Greg Kramer belt.

I also have a Dark Star Gear AIWB "Hitchhiker" for my S&W Shield. 

But appendix is not a position I recommend to anyone. That's a conclusion that the individual needs to come to on their own, based on their needs and experience. There are inherent risks associated with all carry positions and AIWB needs to be approached cautiously with a solid understanding of the risks, benefits, and utilizing the proper technique.

I'm personally a bit risk averse as far as hybrid holsters go as I've seen the leather weaken in relation to the kydex. As the leather malforms it can potentially interfere with safe reholstering . Reholstering improperly is probably the most dangerous part of carrying. It's certainly the issue behind the majority of GSW's I've treated over the past 12 years...🙄

I still have Com-Tac paddle holsters for strong-side OWB and think they are quality and a good value. But prior to that I was a leather IWB and OWB holster users from Kramer and Sparks...that was in the 90's so would come under the heading of ancient history at this point..

TGO David speaks very highly of Squared Away Custom. They have some great looking gear on their website. I haven't purchased from them yet, but I've certainly seen a few items I'm considering.

https://www.squaredawaycustoms.com/

As far as "Gold Standard" thread? Kinda doubt it. Everybody has opinions and the interwebs are full of 'em. ;)

Good luck with your search.

Jamie

• Like 2
On 8/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, p220 said:

The Squared Away Custom option @prag linked looks solid, and @TGO David isn't known for blowing his money on anything wasteful aside from well done steaks, so I'd find it hard to believe it's not good gear.

Another option is below...small veteran owned company who isn't a big manufacturer, just focused on quality.  I don't own one, but enough guys on another site I frequent are, and they give him glowing reviews.

https://2aholster.com/product/iwb-soft-side-iwb/?v=7516fd43adaa

• Like 1
On 8/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, p220 said:

Alien Gear's Shape shift holster seems to be pretty good for several types of carry, IWB, OWB, etc. I am considering it or the Bravo Concealment holster for my EDC holster. For the range and competition, I use the Blackhawk Omnivore. I like the Omnivore for the retention feature it has, plus when combined with the Sherpa hardware, it can be quickly attached or detached to go from my pant belt, to a gun belt, drop leg, or chest rig carry configuration. Good luck.

I switched all my CCW to kydex holsters w 15 degree cants,they are all over ebay for 25-30 bucks and for me they are not only a bargain they are thin and easy to carry and the most comfortable  before that I was buying over priced leather stuff,with fancy loops and double hooks and they were all tortuous to carry . 

0819180733a_zpsqch6ebbv.jpg

• Like 1

For smaller guns like the Shield or the SIg P-365, I usually use a IWB kydex from wethepeople.com.  Seems pretty well made and reasonable in cost, plus always offering a discount it seems. I also have a Alien Gear shape shift starter pack for mtghe shield that I sometimes use.  Pretty bulky though. Bigger guns I usually carry leather OWB, but cant say i have a favorite.  With either of them, I do have a good quality riggers belt  to support the gun and spare mags.  When I have to dress up for work, i usually carry in a pocket holster.