Selling resources for eastern TN

Erich

Hey folks, I am a recent transplant from CA, where we had a huge online community (Calguns.net). Its classified section was extremely active and was THE place to sell anywhere in CA. In reviewing the forum classifieds here, I was a bit disappointed to see its relative low level of activity, and what activity there is centers around Nashville. Essentially becoming a benefactor where I am may not be of use if you don't live near the states largest city where it appears most folks here are.

Do folks in this state have other resources outside Gunbroker, GunsAmerica and Armslist?聽 I asked in a couple gun shops and they really dont have much to say other than selling to them at cut rates or offering to consign.

Please note I am not trying to circumvent forum rules, apologies if this is a frowned on question. Just curious what people here do, especially if you are around the South eastern part of the state.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

What I noticed was the east side activity was mostly around Knoxville though, not much down here near Chattanooga unfortunately. I do appreciate it follows population centers, so it makes sense I'm hoping to avoid those sites. I'm sure I'll sign up here, even if I end up having to use one of those others when the time comes.

Thanks聽

We are alive and well in East TN. I have bought several guns on the want ads, most shipped and one face to face. I tend to buy and not sell so I can't help the supply side of the problem. Since long guns can be shipped directly to your door those are less of a problem.

According to all the guys I have dealt with that are not part of this forum, you can just go to a garage sale and pick up a old .22 rifle or 12ga single shot聽for $20.

Now for honesty...In NE TN there are is not anything special beyond what you listed. We tend to buy guns and not sell them. To compound the finding of a good deal, we seem to have a large number of professional gun flippers in the area. They tend to suck up all the good deals and spit them back out as top end priced聽sales ads the next day. Gets frustrating at times because the seem to have nothing better to do than pound the refresh key on any local gun sale sites.

I have resorted to Gunbroker a few times, but the transfer fees are climbing. Shipping, transfer, and bgc聽usually tack on $55 at least. Makes it hard if you are looking at a $250 gun.

Even if you never get to buy anything through the forum, it is well worth joining for all the other interactions.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Even if you never get to buy anything through the forum, it is well worth joining for all the other interactions.

^ This ^

Being a benefactor of TGO is worth it even if I'd never been able to buy/sell or do so again in the future.

• Like 4

Several years ago I bought a Beretta in the Spring Hill area on this forum.聽 The drive from West TN聽 was worth it for the transaction.聽 I haven't list or sold a gun on the forum yet.聽 Over the years I've purchased several guns from online sources and gun shows.聽 As I travel across the state frequently I've found a few shops where most of my purchases occur.聽 Although I live in southwest TN, most of my purchases have been in the Nashville area.聽 I've seen several items that interested me on TGO but hesitated too long and they were sold.

• Moderators

I'm sorry that this isn't the cornucopia of personal firearm classifieds you had hoped for. With that being said, I have bought way too much, and also sold a decent amount of stuff, via the classifieds here on TGO. I live near Chattanooga. There are busy times and slow times. Summer tends to be a slow time, people don't stay indoors as much. Winter, things pick up.

Again, between Cleveland, Chattanooga, and Knoxville, I think this side of the state is very well represented in what you speak of. Just keep in mind California's population compared to Tennessee's population.聽

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=califronia+population&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tn+population&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If that's the case, should it surprise you that there would be more activity there?

Also, I instantly trust as seller instantly much, much more on TGO than dealing with Armslist.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators

Seriously, give it a shot. I think you'll see some cool stuff pop up in the Chattanooga area. Most members are willing to drive a bit for a transaction, so if you are open to driving to South Pittsburg to meet people from Nashville or conversely towards Athens to meet people from Knoxville, you've got most of the state covered.

• Like 2

I have been a benefactor since I joined the site and don't regret 1 second of it. If I was a yonger man I would become a lifetime member but my lifetime is behind me so I just renew when I get the alert that it's time to renew. I live in Middle Tennessee only about 11 miles from the Kentucky state line and I have driven all the way to Springhill almost in Alabama to pick up a gun I really wanted so people driving to get something they want on TGO happens often.............JMHO

• Like 1

Like others posted, summer is slow.

I'd rather buy/sell through the trading post, if I don't know the person, there is a good chance I know a member who knows them.

Prices are fair,; we're gun cranks, so we know how to figure appropriate value.

Some of the other sites seem to have near retail pricing for used firearms (sorry, but as a rule you're not getting back tax, shipping, grips, holster, and sights)

• Administrator

A lot of what I see on other "buy sell trade" pages are the same things being listed over and over, or ads posted by shops that you don't realize are shops until you contact them.聽 This hasn't always been the case, mind you, but even TGO has seen a slow-down in private party sales over the past year.

The "Trump Slump" didn't just affect retailers.聽 It's affected the secondary market as well.聽 Give it a bit and the pendulum will swing the other way.聽 It always does.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, prag said:

As GTG and others have mentioned. This is the slow season. Just wait until the weather cools or the mid-term election gets closer.聽;)

The real busy season I've noticed is tax season.聽 Apparently some people need to create liquidity around early April.聽 馃榿

• Like 2
  • Haha 1