Coonan Arms .357 magnum 1911

ebow2

I've gotten into a much better paying career field, and have decided it's time to really play with some firearm ideas. I've always ever had a 1911, and a .357 magnum revolver. I've decided I like the idea of only having to worry about 1 caliber. I really like the 1911 platform, and really like the fact that somebody makes one in .357 magnum but frankly, it's not cheap. Does anybody here have any experience with one and can let me know if it's worth it?

I've seen videos of these. Being a 357mag fan, I'd get one if I could. Didn't realize the heft on these monsters, they have it weighed in at 5 lbs. Personally, this would be a range toy at that weight.

My avatar is looking towards the firing pin of a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

I've seen videos of these. Being a 357mag fan, I'd get one if I could. Didn't realize the heft on these monsters, they have it weighed in at 5 lbs. Personally, this would be a range toy at that weight.

My avatar is looking towards the firing pin of a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel.

I had the opportunity to shoot one several years back. My impression was one of a very heavy and very accurate range gun or house gun. I ran probably 100+ rounds that afternoon without a mishap.

But must say this was a very clean, well broken in pistol. So I would not offer any other comments on the Coonan.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to shoot a Commander sized model about 15 years ago. The grip is longer front to back to accomadate the longer .357 cartridge. Takes a little getting used too, but wasn't bad. The gun shot well and ran like a champ. I seem to recall that it was limited to 125gr jacketed bullets. I can't remember why? 

I had the opportunity to shoot one back in April. Is it worth the money? That's really going to be up to you. I can tell you the one that I shot had no malfunctions and was very accurate. The trigger was as crisp as any 1911 I've felt. The owner of the pistol did mention that it didn't like low power loads. It definitely packs a punch and was fun to shoot. 

Edited by Howler
On 8/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, DWARREN123 said:

Wonder if it feeds well. Being a rimmed cartridge it would be a little hard to make it run 100% in my opinion.

Well full power (+P etc.) I am not sure of but all the old school Bullseye shooters who used .38 wadcutter converted 1911s  or the S&W 52 which I have no trouble running work just fine, the angle going into the mag insures you don't get the old rim over rim like an Enfield Rifle, and theres plenty for the extractor to grab so I don't see why it wouldn't work at a higher pressure setup properly sprung of course..