I found this article very interesting

bersaguy

Since I had my heart attack in January and triple By-pass surgery my doctor has had me on this stuff. I have noticed even the slightest scratch and I bleed like I have cut an atrery and takes a long time to finally get the bleeding to stop. I'm going to begin taking low dose aspirin and quit taking this stuff

till I have a long talk with my doctor.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/10/plavix-health-risks.aspx

For reasons I won't go into, I highly recommend that you not stop taking it until you talk to your doctor.

In the meantime, this is your friend:

black-pepper-ground.png

When you get a cut, dump some  pepper on it until you build up a nice mound. It soaks up the blood and something in it makes the blood congeal and harden. Blow off the excess and slap a nice tight bandaid on it. If it seeps through, put another one on top of it. (I've never had to use more than two).

You just need to keep it dry for a few days.

The ash tray in my truck used to be full of the little pepper packets from fast food joints and bandaids :D

• Like 2

Been there! I am an industrial mechanic by trade. After heart surgery I would bleed forever. I would cut myself shaving Sunday morning and in church people would say STIGMATA! I would say "No. Blood thinners."  I took them for three years. They will keep you alive, if you don't bleed to death. Finally my cardiologist told me that if I stopped taking them I had a 3% higher chance of a blood clot and a 1.5% chance of bleeding to death. So I stopped taking it. Do your rehab Bersa guy. Take those blood thinners.  I am going on 5 years after my by-pass.  If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. 

Well let me explain a little more about myself and my experience with this stuff. In 2006 I had a heart attack and they put stints in and put me on Plavix. I was on it about 3 months and cut myself and thought I was going to have to call EMT's to come and stop the bleeding. Next trip to my PC doctor I explained what had happened and she told me to quit takin it and begin a low dose aspirin regimen of 1 a day in the morning. I did as she instructed and it was barely 2018 when i had the next heart attack. Now a little bit more information about this med regimen I am on. The Cardologist ahs me taking both Plavix and a Low dose aspirin. Plavix at night and asprin in the morning. I will continue the aspirin but really think he is thinning my blood down to far and to add from 2006 through 2017 and even now I have no ringing in my ears..............JMHO

Edited by bersaguy

I'm on the same thing, Plavix and low dose aspirin and yes, it's a pain in the butt. I can't even mow the yard without a blackberry bush jumping out and grabbing me.

It won't hurt to at least try the pepper. As I said, it hardens the blood and with a tight bandaid it creates a pressure point right on the cut.

I just found out my dad stopped taking his blood thinners for the exact same reason. He was afraid he was going to bleed to death from a paper cut. That being said, he stopped without talking to his doctor and started having chest pains. Not the smartest decision. Be safe.

5 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I'm on the same thing, Plavix and low dose aspirin and yes, it's a pain in the butt. I can't even mow the yard without a blackberry bush jumping out and grabbing me.

It won't hurt to at least try the pepper. As I said, it hardens the blood and with a tight bandaid it creates a pressure point right on the cut.

I have no doubt it will stop the bleeding. A little story about Black Pepper. It will stop radiator leaks in car radiator leaks too. Back when I was racing small outlaw round tracks we had about 10 large cans of it in the tool box and if we got a leak in a radiator we would dump a can in the radiator and it would stop the leak and it was a lot better and cheaper than the stop leak from auto part stores.

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I just found out my dad stopped taking his blood thinners for the exact same reason. He was afraid he was going to bleed to death from a paper cut. That being said, he stopped without talking to his doctor and started having chest pains. Not the smartest decision. Be safe.

Well I am going to keep taking it till I get to speak with the Cardologist face to face but he better be able to convince me that there is a definate reason why I need 2 blood thinners. I get paranoid using a steak knife in the kitchen or a paring knife to peel potatoes. I was not going to do like your dad and quit taking all of them. Just the Plavix but gonna wait.

Edited by bersaguy
43 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well I am going to keep taking it till I get to speak with the Cardologist face to face but he better be able to convince me that there is a definate reason why I need 2 blood thinners. I get paranoid using a steak knife in the kitchen or a paring knife to peel potatoes. I was not going to do like your dad and quit taking all of them. Just the Plavix but gonna wait.

I know what a daughter wuld say. :)  Do NOT stop taking any med without talking to your doctor. I also had the heart attack and stints a few years ago. I still take my meds today. And if you think handling a knife is scsary try handling one with Parksinson's. My family wont let me anywhere near sharp objects.  LOL  

To top it off I take insulin. Even that little tiny needle can be a pain at times if it wants to bleed. No again, try imnjecting yourself when you shake. LOL

• Like 2
1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

I know what a daughter wuld say. :)  Do NOT stop taking any med without talking to your doctor. I also had the heart attack and stints a few years ago. I still take my meds today. And if you think handling a knife is scsary try handling one with Parksinson's. My family wont let me anywhere near sharp objects.  LOL  

To top it off I take insulin. Even that little tiny needle can be a pain at times if it wants to bleed. No again, try imnjecting yourself when you shake. LOL

Been there and done that with the needle deal when some doctor that was still practicing diagnosised me with type 2 Diabetes and for about 5 years until this last heart attack when I asked the nurse why I was not getting my insulin she said because your not diabetic so for 5 years I stabbed myself and didn't need to just because of a doctors mistake and then people wonder why I don't trust doctors. A doctor in a hospital made that diagnosis without consulting my GP of 18 years and She went ballistic my first visit to her after being released from that hospital. She had just had blood tests run 3 months earlier and I had great sugar and A1C levels. Once they start you on it they say you can't just stop the meds but the last hospital damn sure did.  They also took my BP meds away because my blood pressure was reading very good without them. I test it every day here and it is still good and ever so often I do my sugar tests in the morning at my suger is also just fine. And yea Mike, I know what my Daughter would say is why I have decided to wait till I see my Cardologist about it. Would rather not have her on my case........LMAO