Let’s discuss rechargeable flashlight batteries & chargers

I just ordered a Streamlight Pro Tac HL 5-X USB flashlight. I think I want to go with rechargeable batteries in my lights.

It appears the price of 18650 batteries with the USB port in the battery is much higher in price. I don’t think I really need that option.  

What are good options for 18650 batteries? So far it looks like Orbtronic and Panasonic have some good options. It also appears all 18650’s are not the same; apparently the flat top vs. the button tap will make a difference in the fit in some lights?

If the voltage is correct I see no reason to not get the highest amp rating I can get. Are there manufacturers that recommend lower Ah ratings?

I’m also looking at chargers. Looks like it’s a toss-up between the Nitecore D4 and the Xtar VC4.  I like those two because they have LED screens that show what’s going on. Any opinions on chargers?

My lights that use SF123’s don’t dim; they just do dead. Will the 18650 do the same?

While I like the concept of rechargeable batteries, I prefer using disposable ones, for the mere simplicity of being able to change batteries on the fly and being able to afford to have a few on-hand.  I've also not had good luck with rechargeable batteries, they don't hold a charge as long as my lithium 123 batteries and don't work as good either, so I stick with my multi surefire flashlights.

• Like 1

I've had very good luck w/ rechargeable lights. They don't hold as long of a charge, but for my purposes it's not that noticeable. That being said, my bug out bag lights use disposables but for everyday use, the rechargeables are the way to go.

I use a Surefire sidekick on my keychain and several Streamlight stingers for my vehicles and the house. I've been extremely pleased with both products.

I  have had excellent results with 18625 rechargeable batteries.  I like Panasonic, Fenix, Olight and others.  Any flashlight manufacturer that makes their own batteries is a good bet.  I also use rechargeable 123 alternatives (18350?).  No problems, so far; there is a difference in power and duration with the really cheap ones, so I stick with known names.

I have used the protected 123 alternatives from a guy on candlepowerforums for a couple years now with no issues.  I use eneloops for my AA and AAA lights.  I do keep my surefire primary 123s in my weapon lights just in case.

DaveTN, NiteCore and Xtar are good brands. Either charger should be fine. Panasonic is a good brand for 18650 rechargeable batteries. You can visit BudgetLightForum.com and find reviews and recommendations for different brands.  Cap top batteries have an overcharge protection circuit in the cap. Flat top batteries are unprotected. The protection is to prevent the battery from being overcharged. You do want a good charger. If the charger fails AND the battery is unprotected, it's possible for Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries to overcharge to the point that they explode. 

If you have an old laptop, you can remove the battery pack and open it up. It will contain either 4 or 6 18650 unprotected flattop batteries. They will be soldered together... just pull them apart. They don't seem to last as long as my brand name batteries, but since I have a dozen or so 18650 batteries, that doesn't matter to me.

11 hours ago, jgradyc said:

DaveTN, NiteCore and Xtar are good brands. Either charger should be fine. Panasonic is a good brand for 18650 rechargeable batteries. You can visit BudgetLightForum.com and find reviews and recommendations for different brands.  Cap top batteries have an overcharge protection circuit in the cap. Flat top batteries are unprotected. The protection is to prevent the battery from being overcharged. You do want a good charger. If the charger fails AND the battery is unprotected, it's possible for Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries to overcharge to the point that they explode. 

If you have an old laptop, you can remove the battery pack and open it up. It will contain either 4 or 6 18650 unprotected flattop batteries. They will be soldered together... just pull them apart. They don't seem to last as long as my brand name batteries, but since I have a dozen or so 18650 batteries, that doesn't matter to me.

Thanks, I went with the Nitecore D4. I want to stick with one battery type I will use with all my lights. That will be the 18650 button top.  I’m not buying anything that isn’t protected.

I got the Streamlight Pro Tac HL 5-X USB, It is a beast.  I’m happy with it, just don’t like the switch and programming. (Maybe I’ll get used to it.)

I just ordered a Fenix pd35 v2.0 for my smaller carry light. It should be here Wednesday.

• 2 years later...

I have a headlamp that has replaceable batteries. Although I use high-quality batteries, they are still discharged and it is easier to replace them than to constantly charge the battery. My flashlight uses energy well and shines brightly at the same time (if you are interested, I ordered it from here https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Headlamp-Flashlight-Headlight-Headlamps/dp/B07ZWK5QKM), but I always carry a couple of spare batteries in my pocket. This is more convenient, because if the battery runs out at the right time, then you will not be able to charge it, and it is much easier to replace the batteries, so I prefer replaceable batteries. My brother has already faced a problem when the battery ran out at the wrong time and now uses only replaceable batteries.

Edited by drexelhub

If you’re dropping them into a flashlight then you’ll need the button tops else they won’t make contact with each other.  The flat tops are designed for soldiering connectors onto.  The 18650’s are 3.6v each, compared to 1.5v for alkalines, so a flashlight with a couple of 18650’s puts out a hell of a beam. The only thing I don’t like about the rechargeable lithium batteries is they give you no warning before shutting off at the low voltage limit…no gradual dimming like other batteries. 

Flashlights are almost as addictive as guns to me at times. Always looking for something different. In this case, hava look at the Fenix TK30. It's powered by a focused white laser. You wouldn't know it was only 500 lumens. This bugger is awesome. I can light up things at least a couple hundred yards away. Its not a wide beam but wide enough to be very practical. You have to sign a waiver to get it for crying out loud. Love it. Not cheap. But coolness factor is a 9.9 - I very rarely give anything a 10 because nothing is perfect. 😉

Fenix TK30 White Laser Flashlight - Fenix Lighting

Some of my favs:

Fenix TK30, Fenix TK16, Surefire Intellibeam, Olight M2R Pro

my_fls.jpg

Edited by BHunted