Millennial Couple Bikes Through ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’ and Gets Killed

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Stop worrying about being a millennial.  When you see what a train wreck the generation that is coming after you turns out to be you’ll get your chance for payback.  😀

Gen-X rules.  😎

Be mercenary and use it to your advantage.

Ain't nothing better than to interact with a millennial and not get the stereo-typical millennial experience.

I became a 50 year old Gen Xer this year and here is the scary thing I see and think about:

I see millennial parents, yikes. I am a remote sales person who travels the state. I see parents with their kids, from millennials on down in all social settings...doesn't make me an expert on anything, but it does make me shake my head from time to time.

I think about how millennials learn social skills. Like all children, from their parents

Add technology to reduce the need for traditional interaction and conversation thus further retarding the development of social skills, the kid at the store can barely speak or even make eye contact.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RodMyers said:

To be honest. They got what they deserved.  They thought their ideals were world wide. they did not realise there people(s) that hate everyone

They were naive and gullible, but no one deserves to be murdered because of that.   If they'd encountered a few more challenges during their lives, and perhaps encountered some less savory people prior to their bike trip, they would probably have known better.  Their sheltered lives and lack of real world experience led them to make an extremely poor choice that cost them their lives.   That's not the same as deserving to be murdered by homicidal maniacs.

• Like 5
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Whisper said:

They were naive and gullible, but no one deserves to be murdered because of that.   If they'd encountered a few more challenges during their lives, and perhaps encountered some less savory people prior to their bike trip, they would probably have known better.  Their sheltered lives and lack of real world experience led them to make an extremely poor choice that cost them their lives.   That's not the same as deserving to be murdered by homicidal maniacs.

Exactly. There’s a world of difference between engaging in an action with a very predictable outcome and actually deserving that outcome. It’s the same concept as saying a rape victim was “asking for it” due to manner of dress or location. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Whisper said:

I don't know about deserving their fate, but it's difficult having any sympathy for people like that. Well derserving of the Darwin Award for sure.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Where is the "sympathy line" for some of you? Two people, whose greatest fault was naivety coupled with idealism, were brutally murdered. They may not have been smart in proceeding as they did, but they certainly did not deserve to be brutally murdered.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Where is the "sympathy line" for some of you? Two people, whose greatest fault was naivety coupled with idealism, were brutally murdered. They may not have been smart in proceeding as they did, but they certainly did not deserve to be brutally murdered.

"Deserved" might not be the correct standard here, but to say they were "asking for it" doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Did they deserve to die? No. Were they temping fate & asking for trouble? Yes. These were grown adults that were posting on social media to get attention. Well, they got it! They wanted to believe the world's a marshmallow, sugarplum place to live & it's clearly not. If you plan to go to one of the most dangerous places in the world & try to pretend it's a park, then bad things are likely to follow. It's not like much of the Middle East is keeping their hatred for the Western world a secret. Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I was simply saying that to "deny sympathy" seems harsh. These were not "bad" people, just people who thought differently than most here, believed the world was a safer place than it is, and although their actions placed them in the situation that killed them, I personally still feel sad for them.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

If while playing Russian Roulette somebody puts a gun in their mouth, pulls the trigger, and blows their brains out then I feel no sympathy for them. This is what these people did just in a different manner.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Say what you will about Snopes, but at least they check some things out before getting all bent out of shape and showing your true nature about liberals getting what they deserved.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/millenial-couple-isis-tajikistan/

I read all that, and am not impressed.  Bottom line, don't go bike riding in ISIS territory.  It's a high HIGH risk adventure.  Duh! 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

If while playing Russian Roulette somebody puts a gun in their mouth, pulls the trigger, and blows their brains out then I feel no sympathy for them. This is what these people did just in a different manner.

2 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I reserve my sympathy emotions for those who didn't stupidly put themselves into situations that were predictably going to get them killed.  They basically DARED the bad guys to act.  Sorry, but that's just it.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I mean this very respectfully, but I'm very glad both of you have had your entire lives together, have never done anything reckless...period, and would never make a stupid mistake that could put your life in danger.

• Like 1

It's not a stretch, IMHO, to consider the headline true.  And one thing that I've noticed is that SNOPES leans so far left they're in danger of falling over.  I had considered them to be fairly honest in their investigation once upon a time, but as time went on, well, not my first choice at fact checking.

You watch the news and you read the papers and you’re led to believe that the world is a big, scary place. People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil. People are axe murderers and monsters and worse.

I don’t buy it. Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own — it’s easier to dismiss an opinion as abhorrent than strive to understand it. Badness exists, sure, but even that’s quite rare. By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this.

33 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I mean this very respectfully, but I'm very glad both of you have had your entire lives together, have never done anything reckless...period, and would never make a stupid mistake that could put your life in danger.

That is a ridiculous and irrelevant statement, and you don't mean it respectfully.  We certainly have made lots of mistakes, reckless ones in our youth, and plenty of stupid things along the way.  Untold dumb-ass things we've done.  But we don't go riding bikes in ISIS territory to prove that they are really nice guys.  What about this do you not get?

44 minutes ago, Omega said:

It's not a stretch, IMHO, to consider the headline true.  And one thing that I've noticed is that SNOPES leans so far left they're in danger of falling over.  I had considered them to be fairly honest in their investigation once upon a time, but as time went on, well, not my first choice at fact checking.

Perhaps that's just your perception because few if any bizarre conspiracy theories favored by the far right (including our scuzzball-in-chief), have ever been proven valid by Snopes. Or anyone else.  ?? ;)

- OS

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Perhaps that's just your perception because few if any bizarre conspiracy theories favored by the far right (including our scuzzball-in-chief), have ever been proven valid by Snopes. Or anyone else.  ?? ;)

- OS

Hey, scuzzball has just delivered the best economy this country has ever seen.  But I guess that don't count.  Let's beat him up.  Wow.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
36 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

That is a ridiculous and irrelevant statement, and you don't mean it respectfully.  We certainly have made lots of mistakes, reckless ones in our youth, and plenty of stupid things along the way.  Untold dumb-ass things we've done.  But we don't go riding bikes in ISIS territory to prove that they are really nice guys.  What about this do you not get?

I am glad you know that I didn't mean it respectfully. 

It isn't that I don't "get" anything.

I'm thinking of it like this and from this standpoint. Generally speaking, if someone isn't a criminal with ill intent, I try to care for everyone. I noticed there were many people in this thread that were basically saying "I have no sympathy/they got what they deserved/etc". 

Did they make a foolish mistake? Yes! I don't disagree against that. But I don't think it is wrong to pity them, feel sorry for them and their families, show compassion for the situation, etc. Many people here are claiming that they could care less since "they deserved it" in certain words.

I brought up the reckless mistakes part to hopefully just cause some introspective thought. People do stupid things everyday, most of them don't have to pay for it with their life. These people could have been anyone's friend, coworker, or family member. Although it was unwise, I personally feel as if a lot of the responses here were awfully cold/hardened against them because of their world outlook.

• Like 1