Millennial Couple Bikes Through ISIS Territory to Prove ‘Humans Are Kind’ and Gets Killed

26 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Hey, scuzzball has just delivered the best economy this country has ever seen.  But I guess that don't count.  Let's beat him up.  Wow.

No, he hasn't. But he says so, so you say so.

But even if it were true,  sell out the basic principles of our Republic for a buck? Very Trumpian indeed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
10 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I am glad you know that I didn't mean it respectfully. 

It isn't that I don't "get" anything.

I'm thinking of it like this and from this standpoint. Generally speaking, if someone isn't a criminal with ill intent, I try to care for everyone. I noticed there were many people in this thread that were basically saying "I have no sympathy/they got what they deserved/etc". 

Did they make a foolish mistake? Yes! I don't disagree against that. But I don't think it is wrong to pity them, feel sorry for them and their families, show compassion for the situation, etc. Many people here are claiming that they could care less since "they deserved it" in certain words.

I brought up the reckless mistakes part to hopefully just cause some introspective thought. People do stupid things everyday, most of them don't have to pay for it with their life. These people could have been anyone's friend, coworker, or family member. Although it was unwise, I personally feel as if a lot of the responses here were awfully cold/hardened against them because of their world outlook.

You obviously take a more warm-hearted view toward these bikers than most of us.  I think for that you should actually be commended.  I just wish that these young folks would have been more concerned about their safety, before they embarked on this obviously risky venture.   They risked not only their lives, but the ensuing grief of countless family members and friends that have to mourn them and deal with all of the aspects of the spinning aftermath of their demise.  I feel like they were selfish and robbed all of their loved ones, who have to clean it all up. In essence, I think they were both reckless, and selfish.    Does that make sense?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

No, he hasn't. But even if it were true,  sell out the basic principles of our Republic for a buck? Very Trumpian indeed.

- OS

Maybe not 100% him, and maybe not the entire economy, but this says that at least during his tenure he hasn't done it any harm:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/22/investing/bull-market-longest-stocks/index.html

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

If up to this point, that is all they have on him...I say let him run with the ball.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

You obviously take a more warm-hearted view toward these bikers than most of us.  I think for that you should actually be commended.  I just wish that these young folks would have been more concerned about their safety, before they embarked on this obviously risky venture.   They risked not only their lives, but the ensuing grief of countless family members and friends that have to mourn them and deal with all of the aspects of the spinning aftermath of their demise.  I feel like they were selfish and robbed all of their loved ones, who have to clean it all up. In essence, I think they were both reckless, and selfish.    Does that make sense?

100%. But since the couple had a much different world outlook than you, in their opinion they were not being selfish, or reckless for that matter. And my point was only that the couple themselves seemingly were not "bad people". Yes, it was reckless and foolish, but ISIS is the bad guy in this scenario. 

I just try to view things like this from the standpoint of "what if it were your brother, or your friend, or your coworker", wouldn't you at least feel sadness that they LITERALLY JUST DIED? Sure, it was foolish. But my point earlier was who hasn't done at least one foolish thing in their life that could have killed them? It doesn't matter if it is "tiny foolish" like driving without a seatbelt, "medium foolish" like driving while buzzed,or "mega foolish" (riding a bike through ISIS territory). Any of those could cost you your life in the right (wrong) circumstances. Since these people were not the actual problem/evildoers in this scenario, I feel sadness that they died.

Edited by CZ9MM
3 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

100%. But since the couple had a much different world outlook than you, in their opinion they were not being selfish, or reckless for that matter. And my point was only that the couple themselves seemingly were not "bad people". Yes, it was reckless and foolish, but ISIS is the bad guy in this scenario. 

I just try to view things like this from the standpoint of "what if it were your brother, or your friend, or your coworker", wouldn't you at least feel sadness that they LITERALLY JUST DIED? Sure, it was foolish. But my point earlier was who hasn't done at least one foolish thing in their life that could have killed them? It doesn't matter if it is "tiny foolish" like driving without a seatbelt, "medium foolish" like driving while buzzed,or "mega foolish" (riding a bike through ISIS territory). Any of those could cost you your life in the right (wrong) circumstances. Since these people were not the actual problem/evildoers in this scenario, I feel sadness that they died.

I feel sadness that they died, and I'm sure any reasonable person on this forum feels the same way.    I have had a small number of near-death experiences, mostly related to flying.   But I didn't go flying into big time danger zones, unless directed there, and always got lucky.

The problem with this couple just seems to come back to the fact that they were reckless in their risk assessment.  

Yes, I've done crazy things and taken on insane risks in different roles, flights, etc.   But I would never take my wife for a bike ride in ISIS territory.  That is a difference!

I just find it difficult to have sympathy for folks like that, when men, women and children are dying over there due to no fault of their own, not to mention our troops that pay the ultimate sacrifice to attempt to bring safety to those regions.

Don't get me wrong, I find no joy in their deaths, and do consider their killers the bad actors in this, but just like those idiots that intentionally cross into wild animal enclosures, like the hippo slapper, if they die in the attempt, I'll not shed a tear.  Call me cold hearted if you will, but sympathy is hard to come by for those folks.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

I mean this very respectfully, but I'm very glad both of you have had your entire lives together, have never done anything reckless...period, and would never make a stupid mistake that could put your life in danger.

No, I've never done something anywhere near the level of stupidity of riding a bike through ISIS territory, and I never will.

8 hours ago, Omega said:

Maybe not 100% him, and maybe not the entire economy, but this says that at least during his tenure he hasn't done it any harm:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/22/investing/bull-market-longest-stocks/index.html

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

If up to this point, that is all they have on him...I say let him run with the ball.

The bull market is 3,455 days long. Trump has been president 580. That's 16%. That's not even a quarter of the bull run.

Unemployment has been falling for 10 years. He does not get credit for that either. 

image.png.b941dbe44f8fdb0ef4792ebf8411f88d.png

So no, he has not delivered the best economy. Has he helped? Of course. 

6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The bull market is 3,455 days long. Trump has been president 580. That's 16%. That's not even a quarter of the bull run.

Unemployment has been falling for 10 years. He does not get credit for that either. 

image.png.b941dbe44f8fdb0ef4792ebf8411f88d.png

So no, he has not delivered the best economy. Has he helped? Of course. 

8 hours ago, Omega said:

Isn't that what I said?

Don't pity the dead, their suffering is over. Pity those left behind. 

I'd presume most people who've lived any length of adult life have known others who died before their time. I lost 2 high school friends because they were young, arrogant, and made poor decisions.  I was sad when they died, but I didn't pity them. I pity their families who have holes their lives.  I pity the friends who witnessed their demise and have to live with those memories.  

I think the problem that many of us have with feeling sorry for this pathetic couple is that they made a seriously calculated decision to prove something, and they lost, and the end result was just about 100% predictable.   That is getting into the realm of the galactically stupid.   That's a lot different than the stupid snap decisions that we all make in life that don't turn out well.   I can't work up much sympathy for galactically stupid stuff!  I feel sympathy for the survivors who cared about these bozos, because they cared about these morons and suffered a tragic loss. 

Edited by QuackerSmacker

I think loss of life in any event where  young people die is a terrible loss and I do have feelings for the families of these kids. They have to live with their loss of their loved one forever and the way these young people die is particularly bad but it was what I considered a self inflicted death just like any other suicide which is pretty much what this was. There was zero chance they would make the complete trip. I wonder if they knew that before that set out on this trip? 

• Like 1

Here is a fun fact for you. Tajikistan is no where near the top of the list for violent crime. Honestly, how often do you even hear of this country? Some of you are acting like they were biking through Iraq or Syria. It's actually a relatively safe country from what I can find. There are far more dangerous hoods here in the US of A. Until recently OSAC gave Tajikistan a level one travel advisory (the lowest level). Quite simply, there are far more dangerous places these people could have chosen. I guess those bikers killed in NYC recently also deserved to die...... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_New_York_City_truck_attack

Crime in Tajikistan and Dushanbe directed toward Western expatriates and foreign entities is relatively low

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=23719

Edited by Erik88

I swear, some of you had probably never heard of this country before this article yet you are convinced their trip was equivalent to storming the beach at Normandy. Statistically, they probably had a better chance of dying in a car wreck at home than being killed in Tajikistan. Not every country that ends in "stan" is a hell hole. 

To clarify, the ONLY reason I knew about Tajikistan is because I'm a nerd that likes to study maps. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I swear, some of you had probably never heard of this country before this article yet you are convinced their trip was equivalent to storming the beach at Normandy. Statistically, they probably had a better chance of dying in a car wreck at home than being killed in Tajikistan. Not every country that ends in "stan" is a hell hole. 

To clarify, the ONLY reason I knew about Tajikistan is because I'm a nerd that likes to study maps. 

Are you serious?  That place is right on the northeast border of that happy place we call the Afghanistan, and just north of Pakistan.  Hell any "stan" is a place to stay away from if you are an American.  And while they were not specifically high on the "do not go" list, there is no way I'd go anywhere in that region on any kind of vacation.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/central-asia/news/tajikistan-attack-reminds-of-islamist-terror-threat-in-central-asia/

Put another way, do you want this couple in/on your homestead with firearms helping you defend against the zombies, the feds, the whomever when the SHTF?     No, you don't.   They will be useless and probably a danger to you and your family.   They put you at risk.  The evidence of that is obvious.  They got themselves killed, for no valid reason.  What about this does anyone not understand?  

44 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You really need to get a better understanding of statistics.   This is looking like troll stuff.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Omega said:

Are you serious?  That place is right on the northeast border of that happy place we call the Afghanistan, and just north of Pakistan.  Hell any "stan" is a place to stay away from if you are an American.  And while they were not specifically high on the "do not go" list, there is no way I'd go anywhere in that region on any kind of vacation.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/central-asia/news/tajikistan-attack-reminds-of-islamist-terror-threat-in-central-asia/

I'm absolutely serious. Not only were they not high on the list, they were at the lowest security risk. Both Brazil and Honduras are more dangerous. I get what you're saying about sharing a border with Afghanistan but Tajikistan, by most indications, is a relatively safe country. 

3 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

You really need to get a better understanding of statistics.   This is looking like troll stuff.

I'm the one providing actual data from reputable websites. Why don't you come up with something of actual substance rather than your bizarre rants about SHTF scenarios. 

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I'm the one providing actual data from reputable websites. Why don't you come up with something of actual substance rather than your bizarre rants about SHTF scenarios. 

Erik88, I'm not going to get into a dumb debate about why you somehow think these dead people were supposedly likely safe.  It didn't work out well.  It was 100% predictable.  The outcome speaks volumes.  If you don't believe me, go grab a bike and take a ride in any "Stan" place and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm absolutely serious. Not only were they not high on the list, they were at the lowest security risk. Both Brazil and Honduras are more dangerous. I get what you're saying about sharing a border with Afghanistan but Tajikistan, by most indications, is a relatively safe country. 

I won't go into those countries either, and I can pass for a local; as a matter of fact I spent time there officially.  I wouldn't try to walk through some of the Chicago neighborhoods on a Saturday night, hell I won't go into Lincoln Homes here in Clarksville for that matter, and I am sure there is no travel warnings about them. 

• Like 1

My cousins were unofficial missionaries in Bishkek Kyrgyzstan for 6-8 years about a decade ago. That's even further from Pakistan than where these 2 went. 

Even in the relative safety of a big city and speaking Russian reasonably fluently, there were occasional issues. There were places they could go, and places they knew to stay away from. They were raising a family and the rise of the Islamic state was one of the reasons they left. 

• Like 1