Lost another Music legend!!

bersaguy

41 minutes ago, Garufa said:

RIP Aretha.  Her voice and attitude spans generations and always will.

Little bit of trivia for you:  Elvis also died on an August 16th.  So did Robert Johnson, if you’re really into music and know who that is.

Robert Johnson was a great blues singer and guitar player and yea I knew about him. My Grandmother spoke of him and his music as she loved the blues while I was growing up. It seems to me but not sure but wasn't he suppose to have sold his soul to the Devil to be able to do something with music? Seems my grandmother told someone that one time and I over heard her say it. Never heard what it was.

Edited by bersaguy
30 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Robert Johnson was a great blues singer and guitar player and yea I knew about him. My Grandmother spoke of him and his music as she loved the blues while I was growing up. It seems to me but not sure but wasn't he suppose to have sold his soul to the Devil to be able to do something with music? Seems my grandmother told someone that one time and I over heard her say it. Never heard what it was.

The Robert Johnson story is that he was a struggling young guitar player who suddenly developed tremendous technical skills, and the word spread that he had sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his guitar playing ability.  He was rumored to have met the devil at a Mississippi crossroads at midnight to transact the deal.  A couple of his songs supposedly support this story -- "Crossroad Blues" and "Me and the Devil Blues."  This incident is also described in the film "Oh Brother Where Art Thou."

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 4

I have no doubt that she's singing in that Heavenly choir right now! What an awesome lady. 

One of my favorites of her's (and there are many actually) is her cover of the Band's song "The Weight" with Duane Allman on slide! Incredible.

@Whisper nailed it! No self respecting Mississippi boy, such as myself, could have claimed to have ever listened to actual Music and not know the story of Robert Johnson. His incredible influence on the development of Rock & Roll is without question.

RIP Aretha! You'll be missed!

13 hours ago, Whisper said:

The Robert Johnson story is that he was a struggling young guitar player who suddenly developed tremendous technical skills, and the word spread that he had sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his guitar playing ability.  He was rumored to have met the devil at a Mississippi crossroads at midnight to transact the deal.  A couple of his songs supposedly support this story -- "Crossroad Blues" and "Me and the Devil Blues."  This incident is also described in the film "Oh Brother Where Art Thou."

Cheers,

Whisper

Thats an interesting story. I know my Grandmother mentioned something about it to a friend once but never knew what it was.

16 hours ago, Whisper said:

Cheers,

Whisper

Intersection of Hwy. 61 and Hwy. 49 I believe.

4 hours ago, bigun said:

Intersection of Hwy. 61 and Hwy. 49 I believe.

I did some digging into  Robert Johnson and some say the devil taught him how to play and others say the Devil use to meet with Jonson at the cross roads and tune his guitar for him allowing him to be able to play. The intersection of Hwy 61 and Hwy 49 are what folks say it was but actually according to  actual history back when Robert Johnson was alive that cross road intersection now  was actually about 1/4 mile away from that one and they did away with the original crossroads with new construction in later years. 

Edited by bersaguy
14 hours ago, prag said:

I have no doubt that she's singing in that Heavenly choir right now! What an awesome lady. 

One of my favorites of her's (and there are many actually) is her cover of the Band's song "The Weight" with Duane Allman on slide! Incredible.

@Whisper nailed it! No self respecting Mississippi boy, such as myself, could have claimed to have ever listened to actual Music and not know the story of Robert Johnson. His incredible influence on the development of Rock & Roll is without question.

RIP Aretha! You'll be missed!

I like your comments. I had to find that particular version and listen again. I'm sure I've heard it before, but didn't place it immediately.

But I'm a diehard fan of The Band in all their many incarnations. lol The Weight is just, for me, "Owned" by The Band. JMO 

For me, it just doesn't get any better than Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm. Truthfully, I probably like Levon more than any other band members. I was torn up seeing how he looked in Shooter, and teared up badly on the news of his passing.

Not dissing Aretha Franklin at all. She was a lady of huge talent. No question of that at all.

But I really think of her in The Blues Brothers with Think. That just is classic Aretha.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hipower said:

I like your comments. I had to find that particular version and listen again. I'm sure I've heard it before, but didn't place it immediately.

But I'm a diehard fan of The Band in all their many incarnations. lol The Weight is just, for me, "Owned" by The Band. JMO 

For me, it just doesn't get any better than Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm. Truthfully, I probably like Levon more than any other band members. I was torn up seeing how he looked in Shooter, and teared up badly on the news of his passing.

Not dissing Aretha Franklin at all. She was a lady of huge talent. No question of that at all.

But I really think of her in The Blues Brothers with Think. That just is classic Aretha.

I agree. I never knew she sang "The Weight" but just got through listening to it. I went into it thinking it couldn't be as good as the band. Not bad but IMO it's not even close.  I might not be the best judge on this because I loved The Band and The Weight was my favorite.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

I agree. I never knew she sang "The Weight" but just got through listening to it. I went into it thinking it couldn't be as good as the band. Not bad but IMO it's not even close.  I might not be the best judge on this because I loved The Band and The Weight was my favorite.

You most certainly are a man of infinite good judgment and with a discerning ear for great music.

Just when I think I've picked a favorite...usually Up on Cripple Creek. I'll go back to The Last Waltz and pull the best from it up...

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down/Ophelia/The Shape I'm in/Life is a Carnival/...and of course...The Weight.

Yes, probably the best know from The LGD Band, but arguably some of their absolute best. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, hipower said:

I finally have time to reply and totally agree on The Band my friend. I'm just a long time admirer of Duane Allman's studio guitar work. Especially when he play on "Loan Me a Dime" with Boz Scaggs.

I only "kinda"saw the Band once. It was Grath Hudson, Levon Helm and Tim Drummond along with Neil Young and Bob Dylan. It was at an outdoor concert at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.. They played an awesome version of "The Weight".

I'm certain I had a great time...but it was 1975 and some details may be sketchy. ;) 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, prag said:

I finally have time to reply and totally agree on The Band my friend. I'm just a long time admirer of Duane Allman's studio guitar work. Especially when he play on "Loan Me a Dime" with Boz Scaggs.

I only "kinda"saw the Band once. It was Grath Hudson, Levon Helm and Tim Drummond along with Neil Young and Bob Dylan. It was at an outdoor concert at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.. They played an awesome version of "The Weight".

I'm certain I had a great time...but it was 1975 and some details may be sketchy. ;) 

Sadly, been there, done that.

I saw/heard The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in a concert at TTU in the early 70's

• Like 1

If I was to try and pick 1 favorite band from the 70's I don't think I could just pick one Maybe a top 10 but not just one. There was a lot of bands that came out of the 60's and into the 70's. One thing I will never understand and probably never will but I will never understand how and why CCR never was voted a #1 song and never had a #1 record. I know they had my vote but that was only one of my favorite bands.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:51 PM, Whisper said:

Cheers,

Whisper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(1986_film)

It was also covered in the movie "Crossroads". If you like guitar playing, this is a great movie.

• Like 1