Music groups-Bands from 60's and 70's

bersaguy

I think it might be fun for us old farts to go back in time a few years and pick your top 5 bands/groups and put them in the order of your favorite starting with favorite 1st. I was going to go with 10 favorites but afraid of puttng that much pressure on old memories including mine going up in flames!!! Feel free to list as many as you can honestly remember enjoying listening to or seeing in concert. We can do another one on favorite singers once this one has maxed out. Folks has gotta have some fun in these serious times. I will start it off and if a band/group is on someone elses picks you can use them also as one of your picks.

1. Steppenwolf

2 Credience Clearwater Revival

3 The Doors

4 Rolling Stones

5 Led Zeppelin

This is why I don't have a true favorite,  we Gen-Xers experienced some great popular music (and have seen it copied poorly and quite well over the last 40 years)

Chicago is high on my list, though Tower of Power has rotated this week's #1 spot (found a CD while cleaning)

If Mrs GtG's was polled, MoTown would be well represented in her faves.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gotthegoods said:

This is why I don't have a true favorite,  we Gen-Xers experienced some great popular music (and have seen it copied poorly and quite well over the last 40 years)

Chicago is high on my list, though Tower of Power has rotated this week's #1 spot (found a CD while cleaning)

If Mrs GtG's was polled, MoTown would be well represented in her faves.

I have a ton of MO Town performers I could list but many of them didn't have permanent bands as best I can tell.  I kind of thought that most of them had great studio musicians and I think Smokie Robinson provided them with a lot of their music like The Funk Brothers in Mo town and the Wrecking crew in L.A. was evidently responsible for most of the music.

If we’re gonna about the greats let’s hear why.  Like I said, my #1 is Zeppelin because there is not a single thing they ever recorded that I don’t like.

Turns out the best thing they ever did was covers.  This is powerful stuff here.  It rocks and it’s just fun.

Edited by Garufa
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If we’re gonna about the greats let’s hear why.  Like I said, my #1 is Zeppelin because there is not a single thing they ever recorded that I don’t like.

Turns out the best thing they ever did was covers.  This is powerful stuff here.  It rocks and it’s just fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMGSXIjU2Js

I always liked this one. It's almost like a British version of country music.

I guess for me the ultimate was the Allman brothers. Saw them in late 71 when  Duane was still alive. Followed in 72 by the Who in Greensboro. Actually met, well at least saw up close and personal in the lobby of the 4 Seasons Hotel, the Who and had words with Daltrey and a couple of good looking blondes. I greatly enjoyed the 70's rock and roll scene and all that went with  it.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’d be here all day trying to pick 5 or even 10, or more.

We had the greatest music of all time. I’m sure all generations say that; but with us it’s an undisputed fact.

We don’t agree on much at all, but we agree on that. This Gen-Xer is jealous of the acts y’all Boomers got to see in their primes. 

In no particular order:

Beatles

Steely Dan

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones

Led Zepplin

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

PInk Floyd

Rush

Yes

Led Zeppelin

Jethro Tull

Extra Credit:

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Black Sabbath

Bad Company

The Who

AC/DC

A lot of these bands have their roots in the blues. I realized several years ago that a lot of modern Electric Blues is really just Classic Rock, rebranded. If you like Classic Rock, and want to listen to something new, try the likes of Joe Bonnamassa, Buddy Guy, Ana Popovic, Walter Trout, etc

22 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I agree with most of the picks so far. But I've always been a big fan of that little band from Texas. :up:

And surely, there's gotta be some Deadheads here!  :bow:

I was waiting and wondering when someone would finally pop up with ZZ TOP!

1. CCR

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd

3. Beatles

4. Bob Seger/Silver Bullet Band

5. Little Feat.

The list could get much longer with many of the above mentioned bands and more but you only asked for 5.

Edited by Tuffus
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Raoul said:

One of the reasons rock did so well in the 70's is because of all the touring the bands did. Most every mid size city built a civic center . A band could tour the east coast alone for 4 to 6 months.

I think you have nailed that one Raoul. The fans had more live access to their favorite bands back then. By live access I mean getting to see them live on stage at concerts. I regret never being much of a concert goer back then but I did get to attend to me the greatest concert ever. About 10 or 12 days before my deployment I got to go to Woodstock and that to me was the concert of all concerts. I don't know how many folks was her fan but I got to see Janice Joplin Perform Bobby Migee live on stage along side Hendrix on the guitar so does it get any better than that? Got to see CCR and The WHO . There was so many great stars there you could not see them all. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

1. CCR

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd

3. Beatles

4. Bob Seger/Silver Bullet Band

5. Little Feat.

The list could get much longer with many of the above mentioned bands and more but you only asked for 5.

If you got more, list more. Lets see how many we can remember. I forgot all about Bob Seger and his Silver Bullet Band!!!