Music groups-Bands from 60's and 70's

bersaguy

One of my brothers used to listen to some different sounding stuff in the 70's. One band that was definitely different was Goose Creek Symphony. I was only about 8 or 9 years old and it was weird to me. He and my other brothers listened to Bob Segar, Foghat, Pink Floyd and a lot of others.

2 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

One of my brothers used to listen to some different sounding stuff in the 70's. One band that was definitely different was Goose Creek Symphony. I was only about 8 or 9 years old and it was weird to me. He and my other brothers listened to Bob Segar, Foghat, Pink Floyd and a lot of others.

Goose creek used to do the Tricities, Asheville circuit back in the day.

2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Any Captain Beefheart fans? I’ve got an amazing recent repress of Trout Mask Replica on vinyl. Pure unadulterated weirdness. 

That's one I haven't thought of in a long time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bersaguy said:

If you got more, list more. Lets see how many we can remember. I forgot all about Bob Seger and his Silver Bullet Band!!!

The Guess Who, Alice Cooper, Jimmy Buffett and Coral Reefer band, Santana, George Thorogood, Steppenwolf, CSN&Y, Roy Orbison, Van Morrison and most of the other bands I have seen listed here.

7 hours ago, Garufa said:

Where they as good as Captain Beyond?

Oh Hell yeah!  :)

Dancing Madly Backwards

A Thousand Days of Yesterday

My favorite: Sufficiently Breathless

I was blessed to see:

Queen opening for Mott the Hoople in Memphis '74

Jefferson Airplane transitioning to Starship at Winterland in San Francisco '75

Pink Floyd Animals tour Wembly arena '77

Fleetwood Mac Rumors tour Rainbow Theater 

Eagles Hotel California Tour Wembly 

How about Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen? "Down to seeds and stems again blues"

New Riders of the Purple Sage

Frank Zappa and the Mothers

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show... they opened for themselves dressed and playing as a heavy metal act. Phenomenal musicians! Crazy as hell too. Probably drugs LOL 

Devo....sometimes you just need to "Whip It" 👍

It was an incredible musical era indeed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, prag said:

Oh Hell yeah!  :)

Dancing Madly Backwards

A Thousand Days of Yesterday

My favorite: Sufficiently Breathless

I was blessed to see:

Queen opening for Mott the Hoople in Memphis '74

Jefferson Airplane transitioning to Starship at Winterland in San Francisco '75

Pink Floyd Animals tour Wembly arena '77

Fleetwood Mac Rumors tour Rainbow Theater 

Eagles Hotel California Tour Wembly 

How about Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen? "Down to seeds and stems again blues"

New Riders of the Purple Sage

Frank Zappa and the Mothers

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show... they opened for themselves dressed and playing as a heavy metal act. Phenomenal musicians! Crazy as hell too. Probably drugs LOL 

Devo....sometimes you just need to "Whip It" 👍

It was an incredible musical era indeed.

Although I don't know the first three references, I am completely envious of the other groups you have seen. A great litany of music there!

I did get to see Ray and Dennis from Dr. Hook once at a small club we attended at times. They were recognized in the audience and played with the house band for a bit. I was mezmerized. They were perhaps a bit under the influence of a plant substance at the time. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2

OK...I'll play. Some of my favs and ones I got to see and hear way back then...

Chicago

Blood. Sweat and Tears

Three Dog Night

John Kay and Steppenwolf

The Ides of March (Saw these guys 2 times at TTU. Great musicians and performers.

Edited by hipower

I was very fortunate to be in the right places at the right time(s) hipower. :)

I've seen several other bands already mentioned but I'm trying not to be too redundant. This thread is definitely a walk down memory lane my friend.

Band's I didn't see, haven't seen mentioned, but wish I could have seen:

Traffic

Blind Faith

Cream

Derek and the Dominos

Kris Kristofferson

The Byrds

Delaney and Bonnie and Friends

and many, many others...