Music groups-Bands from 60's and 70's

bersaguy

Even though I look it, I am not as old as some of you old farts.  I was only 12 in 1979.  Late 70's to early 80's I was listening to Eagles, Boston, Chicago and Meatloaf.  Bat out of Hell is probably the record I have bought in the most formats.  I had it in vinyl, cassette(wore out 2), cd and downloaded it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hipower said:

This thread is making me feel old!

You are OLD!!!!! Welcome to the old Folks Music thread!!

I am seeing band names I forgot existed back in my younger years and loving every second of it. I don't know why but I was always content with listening to all of the great music but was never much of a concert goer and now I regret that cause I had many offers from friends to ride along and never did. Of course there was Woodstock but then it was many many years before I went to my second concert and it was at Starwood and Second wife and daughter talked me into going and I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker and the crowd chanted" Free Bird" till it was performed. They thought they were going to get out of playing it but didn't work. When they finally did take the stage they did Free Bird for about 10 minutes solid.

Edited by bersaguy
11 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I saw Jimi Hendrix perform at the Mid- South Colosseum in Memphis.  I don't remember the exact year, but it was the late 60s. One Hell of a show! :up:

It was June 9th 1970 at the Mid-South. The only other time he was in Memphis was when he performed at the Ellis Memorial Auditorium April 18th 1969

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Even though I look it, I am not as old as some of you old farts.  I was only 12 in 1979.  Late 70's to early 80's I was listening to Eagles, Boston, Chicago and Meatloaf.  Bat out of Hell is probably the record I have bought in the most formats.  I had it in vinyl, cassette(wore out 2), cd and downloaded it.

Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album was awesome.  Saw him at Nashville's Starwood Amphitheater years ago.  Was probably one of the best concerts I ever attended.  He gave an absolutely great performance.  Such energy.  Sadly, he never amounted to much after that album.  Reuniting with the same producer for the Bat Out Of Hell II album was the only appreciable success he had after the original.

I saw an interview with Meatloaf once and he was talking about the songs on Bat Out of Hell. Jim Stienman wrote them before he even had a singer. He said they had another singer that looked more like a rockstar. Tall, long blond hair and everything. Jim loved Meatloaf's voice though.

19 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Thanks bersaguy. I knew it was right about then, but couldn't remember the exact date. :up:

I had to look it up myself. Jimi spent a lot of time touring Europe was probably the reason he didn't get down south more often than he did. I don't know if anyone has ever heard Jimi do the National Anthem solo but if you can find it someplace on line you need to listen to it. The performance he did of it at Woodstock was and still is the greatest guitar solo of anything I have ever heard. And from what I also read Woodstock was the only concert he ever did in the morning.

Woodstock 1969

Edited by bersaguy
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

I saw an interview with Meatloaf once and he was talking about the songs on Bat Out of Hell. Jim Stienman wrote them before he even had a singer. He said they had another singer that looked more like a rockstar. Tall, long blond hair and everything. Jim loved Meatloaf's voice though.

Meatloaf has incredible range.

42 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I had to look it up myself. Jimi spent a lot of time touring Europe was probably the reason he didn't get down south more often than he did. I don't know if anyone has ever heard Jimi do the National Anthem solo but if you can find it someplace on line you need to listen to it. The performance he did of it at Woodstock was and still is the greatest guitar solo of anything I have ever heard. And from what I also read Woodstock was the only concert he ever did in the morning.

Hendrix used to play at a club in Murfreesboro when he was stationed at Ft. Campbell. (I didn’t see it; I read that.)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Defender said:

Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album was awesome.  Saw him at Nashville's Starwood Amphitheater years ago.  Was probably one of the best concerts I ever attended.  He gave an absolutely great performance.  Such energy.  Sadly, he never amounted to much after that album.  Reuniting with the same producer for the Bat Out Of Hell II album was the only appreciable success he had after the original.

Saw Meat at the Ryman several years ago. One of the best concerts experiences I've ever had.

Sadly, my wife did not appreciate the show. lol 

I just heard the The Eagles Greatest Hits 71-75 is now the greatest selling album of all time, surpassing MJ’s Thriller.  Perhaps the world is correcting.

Edit:  it regained the top spot lost to Thriller 10 years ago.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I just heard the The Eagles Greatest Hits 71-75 is now the greatest selling album of all time, surpassing MJ’s Thriller.  Perhaps the world is correcting.

That's another, that one of my brothers used to jam to all the time. Probably the first Eagles I ever heard. I'm glad its finally back on top. Awesome album.

6 minutes ago, peejman said:

A former coworker was a roadie for Aerosmith, Nugent, and the Stones in the 70's. He's got some interesting stories. 

I don't think he could have been a roadie for a more diverst group than those 3 for sure. I'm sure he does have some very interesting stories!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Should have never not been at the top. The Music of the Eagles was, is and always will be better then Thriller!!

10 hours ago, hipower said:

Although I don't know the first three references, I am completely envious of the other groups you have seen. A great litany of music there!

I did get to see Ray and Dennis from Dr. Hook once at a small club we attended at times. They were recognized in the audience and played with the house band for a bit. I was mezmerized. They were perhaps a bit under the influence of a plant substance at the time. lol

Funny story about Fleetwood Mac. I was familiar with the band when they did Bare Trees and Mystery To Me albums. So I had a buddy at James Madison in Harrisonburg and in late 76 he called and said he had tickets for their show at James Madison. So I'm anticipating the blues band I was familiar with and they came out and did the Rumours album. This was just before they became the 70's radio gods that made them famous. Awesome show.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Raoul said:

Funny story about Fleetwood Mac. I was familiar with the band when they did Bare Trees and Mystery To Me albums. So I had a buddy at James Madison in Harrisonburg and in late 76 he called and said he had tickets for their show at James Madison. So I'm anticipating the blues band I was familiar with and they came out and did the Rumours album. This was just before they became the 70's radio gods that made them famous. Awesome show.

I was completely taken aback as well. I'd never heard of Stevie Nicks and was expecting music akin to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac!

I always preferred Christy McVie's voice anyway, but it was an excellent show. 

Bare Trees and Mystery to Me are still 2 of my favorite albums. Great taste you have there Sir!

I had a disappointing experience with Boz Scaggs when I saw him in London around the same time. I was expecting blues such as when he did "Loan Me a Dime" (awesome song). He came out on stage dressed like a Holiday Inn lounge performer, sit on a stool and performed like one. I felt betrayed... 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, prag said:

I had a disappointing experience with Boz Scaggs when I saw him in London around the same time. I was expecting blues such as when he did "Loan Me a Dime" (awesome song). He came out on stage dressed like a Holiday Inn lounge performer, sit on a stool and performed like one. I felt betrayed... 

That was around the time he transitioned to the smoooooth sounds of what is now known as Yacht Rock. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

:bowrofl:

It’s one of my favorite stations (311) on SiriusXM. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

I bet as soon as you read it, you came up with a list of artists in your head that matched up pretty well with the list in he Wiki. The term didn’t come for many years until after the genre died out, but it was perfect when it did arrive. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
26 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I bet as soon as you read it, you came up with a list of artists in your head that matched up pretty well with the list in he Wiki. The term didn’t come for many years until after the genre died out, but it was perfect when it did arrive. 

I don’t doubt it; I just laughed out loud when I read that. I edit my music using MP3TAG and the GENRE list is so long to scroll though it is usually just faster for me to type that field in. When I was doing it, it reminded me of ammunition; everyone wants their name on something even if it’s already out there. So I had to look… but YACHT ROCK isn’t there; maybe next version. :)

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Should have never not been at the top. The Music of the Eagles was, is and always will be better then Thriller!!

I agree, it should've never been below Thriller. That just shows you proof that people on average are progressively getting dumber.

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

I agree, it should've never been below Thriller. That just shows you proof that people on average are progressively getting dumber.

I would say they are getting smarter if they have moved it back in front of Thriller where it belongs.

• Like 1