Refinishing?

I’m looking for someone to put a good tough finish on a S&W M&P 45c. Need barrel, slide, and controls done. I had it done before and the finish started coming off and they redid it. Now it’s doing it again and I want something tougher. I had a 40c done and have rode it hard and it’s showing no signs of wear or flaking but can’t remember who did it. 

• Administrator

Royal Range offers refinishing via their gunsmith AND they are a vendor here!

We used to have another vendor that did only this but I can't recommend them at the moment.  I'm all for the little guy succeeding but I also value when people shoot straight and just say "We got what we needed out of TGO" rather than make up some story about how they were going to get out of that business.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

My buddy Mark at Squared Away Customs has an Agency Arms Glock 17 that was Cerakoted and has had hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds through it and constant holstering in Kydex gear at his shop.  He showed it to me the other day and it has no visible wear on it.  

I know that Cerakote will eventually start showing some wear but his experience and the generally good feedback I see about Cerakote online leads me to believe that individual results depend heavily on material prep and proper application.  The devil is 100% in the details.

My M2.0 that I just had milled for the RMR by Primary Machine was Cerakoted and I am optimistic that it will hold up well.  The next step for me would be to have a salt-bath nitride finish applied, similar to what the Glock Gen 3-4 and M&P guns have traditionally come with.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

I've heard great things about Cerakote too. Has anybody heard of a finish call NP3?

NP3 has been around for a good long while.  Back in the mid 2000's I had a Springfield XD that I sent to Robar for NP3 and the slide came back slicker than grease through a goose.  Cleaning it was a cinch but the slide was almost too slick to safely manipulate.  No joke.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Woah. Must've been pretty slick. I've never actually seen what this finish looks like first hand.

The guy who bought it from me described it as feeling like baby oil smeared on a glass mirror.   I'm not sure what other activities he's involved in 😮 but I'd say the description was accurate none the less.

• Haha 2
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, TGO David said:

The guy who bought it from me described it as feeling like baby oil smeared on a glass mirror.   I'm not sure what other activities he's involved in 😮 but I'd say the description was accurate none the less.

Whatever’s going on, it sounds like a good time!

• Haha 1

Sorry for the late post, but if you are still looking, I have used Cummings Custom Refinishing (CCR) and these folks and they are fantastic. I had my Springfield 1911 done in Nickel Boron and it was flawless. They even re-tuned my extractor upon request. If you search you will find many forums reference them with plenty of pictures of their quality work.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/