Gutter cleaning suggestions

Erik88

I'm looking for some advice on how to get my gutters clean. My house is 14 years old and the white gutter/soffit are no longer a nice looking white. I've tried hitting them with the pressure washer but that only gets off some of the stains. I also tried a water/bleach mixture which didn't work either. Are there products that will make them look new again? Also, how much can I spray the soffit before I risk getting water up and behind it? I've been avoiding spraying the soffit with the pressure washer for that reason. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to mix TSP and Clorox (don't recall the ratio) and scrub with a brush. Awesome leg and shoulder workout. I'll never have another house with white trim. 

Spraying soffets with the pressure washer will get water in the attic. Do it on a hot day so it'll dry out fairly quickly. 

I've used Dawn and water mix with a long handled brush with some success.  I've had best success with a pressure washer, but I have the beige/light tan trim & gutters.  Spic and span stuff may work as well.  Can also try some stuff from Dollar Tree called Totally Awesome".  This stuff removed some sunbaked clear protective film & glue off of a new gas grill I bought at a salvage place with very little effort.  Wife used it full strength and did not use any protective gloves, etc. with no ill effects on hands, etc.  This stuff is popular with RV people for cleaning those black streaks off.

15 hours ago, peejman said:

We used to mix TSP and Clorox (don't recall the ratio) and scrub with a brush. Awesome leg and shoulder workout. I'll never have another house with white trim. 

Spraying soffets with the pressure washer will get water in the attic. Do it on a hot day so it'll dry out fairly quickly. 

This is a good mixture but we always added a little dish soap to the mixture.  The soap helps the mixture stick to the gutters and soffit if you apply it with a pump sprayer.  That way the TSP and clorox have a little more time to do their job.

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

This is a good mixture but we always added a little dish soap to the mixture.  The soap helps the mixture stick to the gutters and soffit if you apply it with a pump sprayer.  That way the TSP and clorox have a little more time to do their job.

Be careful with bleach and dish soap. They can have a chemical reaction that causes dangerous fumes.