Streamlight TLR-7 Weapon Mounted Light for $100 TODAY on Amazon

• Moderators
On 8/20/2018 at 7:46 PM, TGO David said:

Amazon has my favorite WML for $100 today.  Fair disclosure, this link gives TGO a small bit of a kick-back if you use it, which of course I greatly appreciate.  :)

https://amzn.to/2w1lwv3

81c8t6lcMsL._SL1500_.jpg

Curiosity, what makes this your favorite? I have the Surefire X300 Ultra (original, 500 lumen version). I like it, but it is quite a bit larger than the above TLR-7.

I see it has excellent reviews. The idea of a slightly smaller light appeals to me, it would translate to a shorter and slightly thinner carry package overall.

$100 is a good deal, but I'm not completely sold...yet.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Curiosity, what makes this your favorite? I have the Surefire X300 Ultra (original, 500 lumen version). I like it, but it is quite a bit larger than the above TLR-7.

I see it has excellent reviews. The idea of a slightly smaller light appeals to me, it would translate to a shorter and slightly thinner carry package overall.

$100 is a good deal, but I'm not completely sold...yet.

Lighter and thinner are the main reasons.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

It's been a long time since I've bought a holster. I might be willing to give it all a try, though. 

Good holster for Glock 19 paired with this light?

I run the Squared Away Customs "ZULU" for it.  www.squaredawaycustoms.com and use code SHOOTERSNATION for 15% off.

2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I run the Squared Away Customs "ZULU" for it.  www.squaredawaycustoms.com and use code SHOOTERSNATION for 15% off.

You're starting to remind me of the Pawn Stars guy. You've got a connection for everything. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Called it. 

Speaking of which, I am anxiously awaiting mine but I took the extra 5% off to not check status of the order. It gets to just be a surprise when it arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

Thanks. Although I'm not too sure how sincere that is. It was more of a "thanks for making me do that, that was $200 nearly". You know what I mean.

Bought the Streamlight and ZULU. Figured it'd be an interested thing to compare to my Raven and X300.

Hey...

At what point do the established, involved, well respected members start getting a monthly gear allowance here on TGO?

Nick-Offerman-%E2%80%93-Lol.gif

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, TGO David said:

Hey...on the Zulu, it is difficult to tell from the pictures on their site, but does it have a full body shield or does the kydex stop at the same point on both sides?

I ask for two reasons. Primarily, I'd like to get an MOS and stick a Trijicon on top. I think the "stock" Zulu will allow me to do that. I did post on the notes though that I'd like to do that anyway, so they should ensure theres room. If there is no "body shield" (index coming all the way up the rear of the slide portion between your body and the gun), it should work.

But, without a "full body shield", is it comfortable? I could see serrations, etc digging into your skin. Just curious.

• Administrator
On 8/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Called it. 

Speaking of which, I am anxiously awaiting mine but I took the extra 5% off to not check status of the order. It gets to just be a surprise when it arrives. 

Yeah they're trying really hard to get caught up.  Mark owns the company but hasn't been personally involved in producing holsters for a while now, but recently took several 12-hour shifts on the shop floor building holsters to try to reduce the backlog.

I've got two in the queue with them since the end of June.  Hopefully soon!

13 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Hey...on the Zulu, it is difficult to tell from the pictures on their site, but does it have a full body shield or does the kydex stop at the same point on both sides?

I ask for two reasons. Primarily, I'd like to get an MOS and stick a Trijicon on top. I think the "stock" Zulu will allow me to do that. I did post on the notes though that I'd like to do that anyway, so they should ensure theres room. If there is no "body shield" (index coming all the way up the rear of the slide portion between your body and the gun), it should work.

But, without a "full body shield", is it comfortable? I could see serrations, etc digging into your skin. Just curious.

It has a full shield.  :)

It's very comfortable for me.  I always wear an undershirt even with t-shirts, but it's comfortable even without that on the rare occasions that I abandon the practice for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Got mine today. Flipping love it. I couldn’t believe just how small it was when I opened it. Found out it has a strobe mode, if you want to enable it. 

Not 100% in love with the controls, but they’ll do. 

Waiting of course on the Squared Away holster. A coworker wants me to get a Knightfall Customs because he says it will get here within a week. 

That is tempting. 

• Moderators

Just came back here to post my thoughts after owning this light for three days. I love it. I don't love everything about it, but I do love it. It is so tiny. It basically turned my carry back into a "stock Glock" package. The X300U-A I had was an amazing light built like a tank, but it was bulky compared to this. For that, I very much enjoy having the TLR-7. 

The controls aren't perfect. They are doable, but not perfect. If you quickly tap the controls on either side, it turns the light on/off. However, if you press and hold the controls on either side while it is off, it stays on while you have it pressed in. When you release, it turns off. So, the difference between "on" and "momentary on" is simply how long you hold it. Perhaps with training I'll grow to love it more. After using the ten-tap programming, I enabled "strobe mode". Now, when the light is off, a quick double tap to the controls on either side activates the strobe. I like having a strobe on a weapon light; That's something I always wished the Surefire I had would provide but sadly it did not.

Admittedly, I think the Surefire was probably built better. But I also paid $220 for it back in the day. I had it for about five years. It was nice. But I like the Streamlight better. The Streamlight TLR-7 is built well enough I believe. It is technically just as bright (500 lumens), even though it only has one battery instead of two. However, might I mention that the tint of the light seems a bit different? The Surefire had a much cooler (white) light. The Streamlight has a slightly warmer (yellow) light. No big deal, actually a warmer light allows you to differentiate color easier.

In my opinion, unless you are a cop/military, battery life is irrelevant. Train with it when you do, place a fresh battery in it when you start to carry it. Since either of them easily get you an hour's worth of light, in my opinion that's enough since as a civilian it's likely you would only need the light for a maximum of a few moments in the worst case scenario (unless you are John McClane, of course. But then you are a cop, which I already mentioned).

oVLQ6ep.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/23/2018 at 6:08 PM, TGO David said:

Dave which attachment method did you go with and why?  I've always used the "soft loop" bits but was looking at the 'rigid loop" on this holster for ease of on/off.  Be interested to hear others thoughts here as well.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, MemHeli said:

Dave which attachment method did you go with and why?  I've always used the "soft loop" bits but was looking at the 'rigid loop" on this holster for ease of on/off.  Be interested to hear others thoughts here as well.

I run the Pull-the-Dot soft loops.  Why?  Comfort, flexibility, preference.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I run the Pull-the-Dot soft loops.  Why?  Comfort, flexibility, preference.

I agree 100%. My first holster was a leather High Noon Holsters "Down Under" (I think that was the model). It had the Pull-the-Dot loops. I got hooked on them then and I cannot get used to any of the other "hooks" or whatever. The soft loops are more secure seeing as how they pretty much cannot come off your belt unless you remove them yourself.