Does Tennessee need a Soccer team and new stadium??

bersaguy

How many folks here think Tennessee needs a Soccer team and a new stadium for it? I am not a Soccer fan so I am against having one and spending that kind of money plus tearing down the Fair Grounds to build it..............Just curious on everyones thoughts on it

Atlanta has a MLS team and share Mercedes Benz Stadium with the Falcons.  Can't see a need for both, certainly not with the tax payer subsidies that they will be wanting to build it with.  You guys have to save up for that new MLB team you'll probably be getting.  

Edited by pitt2magic
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, pitt2magic said:

Atlanta has a MLS team and share Mercedes Benz Stadium with the Falcons.  Can't see a need for both, certainly not with the tax payer subsidies that they will be wanting to build it with.  You guys have to save up for that new MLB team you'll probably be getting.  

Thats my point exactly. Hell Nissan Stadium will seat 69,000 people and if they need something larger Neyland Stadium will hold 102,000 people so why build another. Vanderbiilt Stadium will seat 40, 000. We already have places they could play. The reason for the new Stadium is part of the contract to even qualify for a MLS team to be considered. Like I said, just how bad to we need a MLS team in Tennessee?????

I am a huge soccer fan and I'm excited about the new team and stadium.  The fairgrounds is a huge parcel of land that is severely under utilized.  I think a stadium is a good use for a portion of that land.  It will bring a lot development to that area and that area needs it.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I am a huge soccer fan and I'm excited about the new team and stadium.  The fairgrounds is a huge parcel of land that is severely under utilized.  I think a stadium is a good use for a portion of that land.  It will bring a lot development to that area and that area needs it.

They just need to do something with it now that they got rid of their gun show cash cow. 

26 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

The bigger question is who's gonna pay for it?

Tax payers, that's who, and forget trying to get anywhere in Nashville in a timely manner on the weekends.

13 minutes ago, Omega said:

They just need to do something with it now that they got rid of their gun show cash cow. 

Tax payers, that's who, and forget trying to get anywhere in Nashville in a timely manner on the weekends.

That was ot the only Cash Cow!! They have the big Flea Market there every month, They have the Boat and Fising Show there every January, They have the race track that holds races every Saturday during the Spring thru Fall season that fills the grandstand every Saturday night, They have the State fair there every year for many years. What about all the people that live in that area that is against it. They are doing their best to change Nashville from Music city to some type of Sports Wonderland!!! I agree with you also in trying to get anywhere downtown Nashville anymore and not just on weekends. My SIL works down there and he said it is a nightmare just trying to get out of town to go home. What use to take him 30 minutes now is 1.5 to 2 hours. Whats next? maybe and NBA franchise huh? Surely we can build them an Arena to play Basket Ball in!!!!!!!!.............JMHO 

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Thats my point exactly. Hell Nissan Stadium will seat 69,000 people and if they need something larger Neyland Stadium will hold 102,000 people so why build another. Vanderbiilt Stadium will seat 40, 000. We already have places they could play. The reason for the new Stadium is part of the contract to even qualify for a MLS team to be considered. Like I said, just how bad to we need a MLS team in Tennessee?????

Answer. Not.

And after hearing WTN this morning, it may have a lot more negative reaction. Seems That Princess Megan and some of her cronies were holding clandestine meetings to get it started before the Council, and the public knew about it. Not unusual, but those involved and pushing for the public money to pay, and those controlling the fairground finances may have overstepped their limits.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
51 minutes ago, Defender said:

Not against  soccer coming here, not even against a new stadium, but the gummint needs to stay out of it,.

You and I both  know they will not only have their dirty little hands in it. They will give away what ever it takes to get them here. They will be up to their knees in it. It was already broadcast this morning that the Former  Mayor had been wheeling and dealing under the table on it before she got caught in bed with a guy and was not with her hubby!!!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

You and I both  know they will not only have their dirty little hands in it. They will give away what ever it takes to get them here. They will be up to their knees in it. It was already broadcast this morning that the Former  Mayor had been wheeling and dealing under the table on it before she got caught in bed with a guy and was not with her hubby!!!!

And yet another example of people with no morals trying to decide what happens in my life. No thanks. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Nope. Need is no homeless, hungry, victimized children. Soccer, well that is a want. 

Placing that want above true needs is a sign of just how low and immoral this country is becoming. 

I agree with you 500% on that!! There are many needs that are being ignored that should be getting the attention way before Soccer. I think you first sentence of your post says it all.........JMHO

4 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

The bigger question is who's gonna pay for it?

We don't need a soccer team.  We don't need a football team.  Nashville started to go downhill when we got the Titans.  I'm not against a soccer team, but I'm against tax money being used too get and maintain a soccer team, period.  And I'm sure that's exactly what will happen.

• Like 1

How does Nashville funding a boondoggle  and lining the pockets of the developers/owners (who it appears will get at least 10 acres of the fairgrounds for their own use for private development, FREE) of the to be determined soccer team, equate to a Tennessee soccer team?

You Nashville people need to handle business and start raising hell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Garufa said:

How does Nashville funding a boondoggle  and lining the pockets of the developers/owners (who it appears will get at least 10 acres of the fairgrounds for their own use for private development, FREE) of the to be determined soccer team, equate to a Tennessee soccer team?

You Nashville people need to handle business and start raising hell.

I think thats a lot of the issue Garufa. I'm not sure how many true Nashvillians still live in Nashville. The ones that are need to put 1 hell of a Committee together and call it Saving Nashville and begin getting signatures now to strip the politicians of any power they may think they have. After that last Mistress/Mayor making deals under the table and trying to keep Commerce in the dark till it was almost done went up in her flaming bed of passion!!! The person that filled her seat, I think it was her vice Mayor Does not have a clue how to run anything so they better get someone smart enough to keep Nashvile from going up with the flaming hot bed from the former Mayor...........JMHO

• Admin Team

I’m pretty supportive of pro Soccer in Nashville.  It has already been great for our community at large - pulling together our Kurdish and Latino communities as well as the rest of the population.

The stadium deal has been less than transparent.  I think that has as much to do with the chaos in the mayors office as anything.  

It’ll make money for the city in the long run. Certainly more than the current fairgrounds do. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I am loathe to see public funding used for this type of project. 

I do like that pro soccer is gaining foothold in the US. I’m happy that Memphis is getting a minor league team. Can’t wait to take my daughter to games. 

I do kinda wish that I was still in my teens or twenties though because I totally would have been down for some European style soccer hooliganism. 👊

I thought Soccer was being played at the Sounds stadium?

We are in the South and couldn’t fill a Superspeedway or have the people that could get a NASCAR Cup race. It sits idle.

So no, a new soccer stadium is not a good idea.

• Like 1

This isnt the same Nashville your grandparents, or even parents remember.  The influx of folks from the west and the Northeast that came with all the new jobs, not to mention the immigrants, have changed this town.  I doubt it will ever be like it used to be.  I live on the outskirts of the county and cant wait to move out completely. The crime is bad, the traffuic is horrendous, taxes high...the only thing left here  are jobs. 

3 hours ago, Defender said:

This isnt the same Nashville your grandparents, or even parents remember.  The influx of folks from the west and the Northeast that came with all the new jobs, not to mention the immigrants, have changed this town.  I doubt it will ever be like it used to be.  I live on the outskirts of the county and cant wait to move out completely. The crime is bad, the traffuic is horrendous, taxes high...the only thing left here  are jobs. 

You are 100% dead on about Nashville. When I moved to Gallatin 20 years ago the drive out hwy 31 was filled with beautiful farms with cattle grazing in pastures. Since I have moved here which is Sumner County there are no more beautiful farms, No more pastures and no cows. There are apartment complexes and housing developements on both sides of the road and no they are not the affordable housing type either. I callled about a 1 bedroom apartment and the rent is $1,500.00 + utilities. That is more than I draw on my Social Security a month so what part of affordable is it?  The houses being built are 4000 Sq Ft or bigger so I would not even venture to guess wat one of those would cost. Every election cycle I hear about needing more affordable housing!!!  Can someone tell me what is considered affordable. It damn sure ain't $1,500.00 a month + utilities...................🤬