Wanted: Someone to let me shoot their RMR equipped pistol

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I'm looking for a buddy in the Cleveland/Chattanooga area that wouldn't mind me shooting some rounds through their RMR equipped pistol.

Preferably, it'd be a Glock and/or Trijicon, but really anything would do.

I just want to give it a go before I sink a lot of money into building a good carry setup. I've read that red dots on pistols make most people slower because they are trying to place the dot on target. On one hand I could see this being true; On the other hand it seems like with training it would be negligible.

Also, if anyone specifically has a Glock 19 MOS, I'd love to hear your input as to whether the MOS is the way to go or if getting a regular Glock machined is the way to go.

Well, I'm up in Knoxville, but you're welcome nonetheless.

I was fortunate enough to borrow an RMR'd 19 for 3 months prior to sending my 17 off to ATEi. Awesome work btw!

Consistency of presentation is a key from what I've learned through dry fire at least 5 days per week. 15-20 minutes of dry fire makes a huge difference. Even 5-10 minutes a day is something we all can do.

Not I admit that my experience is limited as I am still very much in the learning cycle on this. I only have about 2000 live rounds down range with an RMR'd Glock. But I've found through dry fire practice if I do what I should do the RMR does what it should do (be immediately visible). I've also found I can track the dot during recoil fairly easily. And shooting one beyond 10 yards is like cheating. ;)

I was already slow, so the RMR hasn't made that any worse LOL.

I think Randy Harris aka @ Cruel Hand Luke occasionally does Red Dot Sight pistol classes. One would speed up the learning curve significantly I'm certain.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, prag said:

Well, I'm up in Knoxville, but you're welcome nonetheless.

I was fortunate enough to borrow an RMR'd 19 for 3 months prior to sending my 17 off to ATEi. Awesome work btw!

Consistency of presentation is a key from what I've learned through dry fire at least 5 days per week. 15-20 minutes of dry fire makes a huge difference. Even 5-10 minutes a day is something we all can do.

Not I admit that my experience is limited as I am still very much in the learning cycle on this. I only have about 2000 live rounds down range with an RMR'd Glock. But I've found through dry fire practice if I do what I should do the RMR does what it should do (be immediately visible). I've also found I can track the dot during recoil fairly easily. And shooting one beyond 10 yards is like cheating. ;)

I was already slow, so the RMR hasn't made that any worse LOL.

I think Randy Harris aka @ Cruel Hand Luke occasionally does Red Dot Sight pistol classes. One would speed up the learning curve significantly I'm certain.

I don't often make it up to Knoxville, but I might could make something work. I'll PM you if so.

See, what you describe is what has me a bit hesitant. Practice/training is everything, but I definitely want to try it out before sinking $500+ into a setup. The Trijicon I would want alone is that. I'd hate to do it and then decide I don't like it. I may check a local range that has a few rentals to see if they have some sort of setup to try.

• Like 1

I can appreciate your trepidation my friend. 

I had fired a few RMR equipped handguns in the past, but it wasn't until I was able to dry fire one daily (or as near as I could set aside the time) that I saw it was more than a workable solution for me. I'm 64, wear bifocals, and those darn iron sight just kept getting more out of focus for some reason LOL.

It is a big decision no doubt, and a bit of an investment. I picked up my RMR for around $450, already owned the Gen 3 Glock 17. I choose ATEi for the milling based on their reputation and was not in any manner disappointed. I talked with them on the phone several times and they were very helpful in answering questions and providing information. I choose to have the slide milled because of 2 reasons: (1) the RMR would set just a little lower allowing the multiple reps of draw stroke I've done over the years to bring the dot into alignment for me...as long as I am consistent. (2) the milling should give a more stable platform, meaning less opportunity of the RMR to move which seems to be the culprit behind the "dot flicker" so often mentioned on the interwebs. That's a lot of repeated inertia for a sight to dealing with, riding on a reciprocating slide... So far so god as they say. The ATEi fit is tight. I sent the RMR along with the slide to them and they milled/fitted my RMR nicely.

My only compliant is with myself. I wish I had done this long ago. But as has been mentioned by many others here on TGO, the technology is just now approaching viability.

I honestly think we'll see Red Dot sights on handguns become as ubiquitous as they are on rifles/carbines in the near future.

PM if you plan a trip North towards Knoxville. Good luck with your decision.

Jamie 

For me, even after fairly extensive practice, I've found that my first shot drawing from a holster always uses the sights. For some reason I have a hard time getting to the dot on the draw. Once the first shot is off the follow up shots using the dot are easy.

I mentioned this to an instructor at a high end class I took last fall and he said he agreed. We had 4 students that were running red dots. Across the board we were 2/10th's slower on first shot if we found the dot. I don't know if this is because I've trained to look for the sight picture for decades or something else. I just know that I've settled (for now) on grabbing the sights and then moving to the dot.

I'm out of practice right now because I had to get a house rehabbed and on the market but hopefully in the next 2 weeks I will be back to my regular dry fire and range routine.

As an aside, this was completely opposite to my experience with a dot on a carbine. That I took to like a duck and water.

I would say just go for it. It won't slow you down and for me anything 25 yards and out is like taking candy from a baby.

Mark

• Like 1