Any motorcycle mechanics on the forum?

My son recently bought a Suzuki GS500. It ran great when he bought it, but now wants to idle really fast once the engine warms up to operating temp. I've read a lot about this problem on various internet forums, and have tried multiple fixes to no avail.

If there isn't anyone here who works on bikes, perhaps someone could recommend an honest mechanic who could make this bike idle correctly again?

Check for Vacuum leaks. 

Likely source is the intake boots between the carbs and cylinder.  Could also be cracked covers on the sides of the carbs. 

Could also be abnormally high idle speed because of other issues. Does it start cold and idle with no choke?

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, peejman said:

Check for Vacuum leaks. 

Likely source is the intake boots between the carbs and cylinder.  Could also be cracked covers on the sides of the carbs. 

Could also be abnormally high idle speed because of other issues. Does it start cold and idle with no choke?

I've ran out of things I'd be able to fix. I'm now looking for an honest mechanic. I can't find any air leaks.

Most of my friends ride Harleys but I have a couple buddies that ride Crotch Rockets and they all 4 of them use Howards Honda in Donelson. I have also not heard anything bad about Sloans. Hope you get it fixed without and arm and leg.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, JT59 said:

I think it was Nashville Motorcycle Repair that worked on my son's old bike. They did a good job.  This was several years ago.

That's where I'd go. They're backed up about a month right now.

• Like 1

We dropped the bike off at Sloan's this morning. Everyone was nice and seemed competent. It was busy there. They said it would be about 10 days until they could get to it.

They also had an Indian Scout on sale that had my name written all over it. Now if I could only could convince Mrs. Tenn.:drool:

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Going to cost some money with the Indian Scout!

You know, it was marked down to somewhere less than 10k. Surprised me.

So far, mama concedes it's pretty, but she's otherwise unconvinced.

Edited by gregintenn
On 9/1/2018 at 3:13 PM, gregintenn said:

We dropped the bike off at Sloan's this morning. Everyone was nice and seemed competent. It was busy there. They said it would be about 10 days until they could get to it.

They also had an Indian Scout on sale that had my name written all over it. Now if I could only could convince Mrs. Tenn.:drool:

thats what I should have gotten instead of my sportster. I have a friend that wants it and is going to take over the payments. I will probably not get a harley again.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, that 10 days turned to just over a month, and they took advantage of me worse than the Democrats diddled Blasey-Ford, but at least it appears they did get it running right. This was something I never would have been able to accomplish.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

That is highway robbery.  You could have bought new carbs for that.  

$550 for new carbs.

I've been molested. Just a warning to others.

Ahhh the things we will do to help our kids.

Edited by gregintenn