holster for an ostimate

Hello, it has been quite sometime since I posted in this forum, although I do browse and read quite often. Thanks to bladder cancer I now have to wear an ostomy pouch. It is an external bladder my urine collects in and I drain every couple of hours. The pouch connects to a stoma which is right below my waistband. I wear suspenders because if I wear a belt it presses down on the stoma/ostomy pouch affecting the flow of urine to the pouch and things get messy. I am looking for holster I can carry my G19 in that is comfortable for wear over a full day. I have seen two advertised on the internet that I am considering, they, like a LOT of holsters claim to be the best holster in the world. But anyone who has a pistol can tell you there is no such thing as the perfect holster. I own several from my pre cancer days. Anyway, one is from concealedcarry.com and one is from standforthe2nd.com. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with either of the rigs? Or does anyone have a suggestion of a setup that might help me in my situation. Thanks in advance.

I'm really sorry to hear about your cancer. I couldn't imagine going through that.

Can you elaborate on just what it is you're looking for in a holster? Many of us carry a Glock 19 so I'm sure we can come up with ideas. From what I gathered you need a holster that doesn't require a belt because you can't use one. Is that the only criteria?

Edited by Erik88
  • Admin Team

This is a tough question. I definitely appreciate your persistence.

A holster is a part of a system, and for most a good gun belt is critical. 

Is either of those options shoulder-type carry? Without a good belt, I question whether any holster will provide a good experience along the belt line. 

You could maybe try one of the trigger-cover “Mexican carry” type devices - but even these might be questionable for day-to-day regular use. 

That does not require a belt and does not interfere with the ostomy.  I pocket carry a Ruger LCP, but want to start carrying my Glock. I have tried using one of my holsters I own already and just clipping it to my pants and supporting it with my suspenders but that gets a little awkward. Knowing the collective wisdom of this group I'm hoping some one can come up with a great solution.

• Admin Team

I generally have two requirements for a holster - or at least these two things are non-negotiable for me:

1. I need to be able to get a full firing grip from the get go - and should not need to readjust once I draw.  This has limited me on pocket carry for everything but a J-frame in a kydex A-holster
  2. The system as a whole should be stable enough that I can break retention without my holster winding up around my armpit.  This is why a solid belt and a solid holster is so important for me.

In your situation - I'd still trend towards these two things - but recognize that you might have to make some compromises.  Wearing suspenders - I expect your pants fit a little bit looser than normal to keep from interfering with you bag.  The suspenders limit downward travel, but not upward travel.  That's going to be an issue with a holster on your waist line.

The bellyband that @Chucktshoesmentioined - or like the one you posted from standforthe2nd might be a good compromise.  It spreads the footprint of the holster out enough that it might not interfere as much.  There are also similar lycra/neoprene options that bring the holster higher up on the torso.  

Could you appendix carry? Again, it's a compromise - especially if you're trying to fend someone off as you draw.  But, I wonder if by having the gun around 12:00 to 1:00 instead of 3:00-5:00 you could sort of cancel out the upward motion by drawing with one hand and keeping the waistband down with the other?  Obviously, you'd have to really work on getting around cover garments, etc.

Shoulder holster?  

I'm not a big fan of them generally due to draw/holster muzzle direction issues, but it seems the best option since you can't wear a belt.  Just practice a lot and slowly to make sure you're not gonna shoot yourself in the chest. 

Hi RotorHead,

First, thank you for your example of strength, hope, and optimism in your winning fight against cancer!

Since I primarily carry on the waist with a cinched belt, my first thought was shoulder holster, but zero experience.

Depending on your experience with the belly band, ankle carry may be an option.

Good luck with your search!

Good luck with your search. Another option is to use your suspenders to support a belt that is a bit more loosely fastened. The stiffer the belt the better if you try this. Something else might be a paddle holster worn without a belt. Not ideal but with your suspenders it might work.

52 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

I looked at the Brave Response holster on line and it may be the answer for my holster needs.  As many others I've accumulated a box of holsters.

Yeah, me too. I keep the Brave Response holster in my glove box (locked) because I often go to the gym wearing sweatpants or workout shorts without a belt. I can put the Brave Response holster on inside the sweatpants. One really great benefit is that you can move it around for sitting in a car or in a chair. That's hard to do with a holster on a belt. The BR holster is a LOT cooler to wear than traditional belly bands because the strap isn't as thick so you don't sweat as much.

The downside of the BR holster are:

1. It claims to fit everything, but it won't fit tiny LCP guns. They get lost in the holster and are hard to get out.
  2. Over time, the velcro and elastic get weaker. Still, it should last a year or two. 
  3. It has a magazine pouch built into the same side as the holster. It has gotten really ripped by purists for this reason because they claim a mag pouch should only be on the opposite side. 
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, peejman said:

Shoulder holster?  

I'm not a big fan of them generally due to draw/holster muzzle direction issues, but it seems the best option since you can't wear a belt.  Just practice a lot and slowly to make sure you're not gonna shoot yourself in the chest. 

I do hope with your situation you are able to find what will work for you Rotorhead.

A vertical drop Shoulder Holster should eliminate shooting himself in the chest. I have kicked around getting a shoulder holster a year or more and I would want a vertical drop rather than a horizontal insert because if you are standing in any check out line in a store Horizontal holster always has the muzzle of your firearm pointing at the person behind you. I could not be comfortable knowing that..........JMHO.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, jgradyc said:

You should look into the Brave Response holster. It's like a belly band, but the strap is only 3" wide.  I have it for my Taurus 709.  I can't say whether it would work for a Glock 19. 

I got my Brave Response holster yesterday.  I've wearing it now with a M&P Shield 45.  Yesterday carried an EMP40 in it for a few hours.