School fundraisers

We tried this for my kids personally....then their school lost the money and didn't let my kids do the reward party anyway.....

We got sick of selling junk to grandparents who are on a fixed income. Plus the school only got a percent of the sales anyway.

27 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

We tried this for my kids personally....then their school lost the money and didn't let my kids do the reward party anyway.....

We got sick of selling junk to grandparents who are on a fixed income. Plus the school only got a percent of the sales anyway.

I'm not selling squat for the school in general, but I am more than happy to donate, work, or whatever is needed for extracurricular activities such as sports.

We had one coach who wouldn't accept a donation. He insisted we participate in a roadblock. I will not allow my family to stand in the road and beg for money. His wife got ran over in the road block and suffered a broken leg. Roadblocks are a bad idea.

• Like 1

I do the same thing at Girl Scout cookie booths if the girls are polite and well mannered.   I just tell the adult in charge that it's a donation directly to the troop.

My wife used to run the cookie sales for our girl's troop and I was somewhat ticked off that the troop only got something like $.25 for each box sold.

My son was in Elementary school from 2011 to 2016. As a stay at home Dad I was also the volunteer parent. I was in that school almost ever day for many hours, making copies, fixing doors, building the school play scene stands, putting sheds together, etc. What ever was needed, and I became the expert pencil sharpener repair man and desk fixer. Every year I would walk into the Principle's office and ask point blank, how much does he expect from my kid to raise in the fundraisers. Then I would ask how much does he want to get for my son to participate in the reward party. Usually $150 a year to be left alone. Money well spent and we never did the multiple fundraisers through out the year. 

Edited by buck1032
3 hours ago, jhc77 said:

Two weeks in and we got one already. Magazines. We do the PTO thing but would throw another $100 to not see another fundraising form.

Magazines, Do people still read them things? I get one every month for being an NRA member and I give it to my grandson as he is the newest gun lover in the family. He reads everything in them. He is looking for a good Varmint gun w/ optics that he can afford. At 13 years old he does every odd job he can find to put money back for one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Magazines, Do people still read them things? I get one every month for being an NRA member and I give it to my grandson as he is the newest gun lover in the family. He reads everything in them. He is looking for a good Varmint gun w/ optics that he can afford. At 13 years old he does every odd job he can find to put money back for one.

I don’t know how they make anything on those. They’re so cheap I’m not sure how much gets back to school. I read the ones I buy. Last was a freebie subscription and gets recycled after one “sitting”. 

10 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

I don’t know how they make anything on those. They’re so cheap I’m not sure how much gets back to school. I read the ones I buy. Last was a freebie subscription and gets recycled after one “sitting”. 

The magazine companies make all their money on the ads that fill 75% of the pages.

I get a couple specific mags, by I am very specific on the ones I pay for.

5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have never thought even back years ago when my boys were in school  that the schools got a lot of the money that got collected so probably the same or worse today.........IMO

I'm sure a percentage gets pocketed. You can also bet whoever made the deal with people who bring the crap to sell gets a pretty good kickback as well.

Our local government does a piss poor job spending and accounting for the tax revenue collected. I'm not about to go help them raise more.

The other stuff, such as sports, etc., does need funding, and I am more than happy to help there. I do not think tax money should be spent in a sports program.