Dick's feels the pain

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dicks-says-under-armour-new-gun-sales-policy-dragged-on-results-1535565173

They're trying to pin it mostly on slipping Under Armor sales and say that hunting was a low-margin business and they're going to reclaim that space for higher-margin items like baseball equipment.

I think they're missing the point. I never once bought anything gun-related at Dick's. It was too expensive and there was never anyone around to get a box of said overpriced ammo out of the cage. But my wife and I used to buy some clothes there. After their gun-dump we stopped. Their anti-gun position didn't just remove low-margin hunting sales, it removed customers who buy other high-margin things too.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 5

Seems they don't care until they start feeling the pain, and even then they will lay blame elsewhere...but we know.  I went in once, no twice, due to a gift card, and the prices on things I was interested kept me away.

5 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dicks-says-under-armour-new-gun-sales-policy-dragged-on-results-1535565173

They're trying to pin it mostly on slipping Under Armor sales and say that hunting was a low-margin business and they're going to reclaim that space for higher-margin items like baseball equipment.

I think they're missing the point. I never once bought anything gun-related at Dick's. It was too expensive and there was never anyone around to get a box of said overpriced ammo out of the cage. But my wife and I used to buy some clothes there. After their gun-dump we stopped. Their anti-gun position didn't just remove low-margin hunting sales, it removed customers who buy other high-margin things too.

Same here. I rarely bought anything gun related from them, but I did buy shoes, camping stuff, canoe stuff, golf stuff, bicycle stuff, baseball stuff, etc..  

Not anymore. Now I drive more than twice as far to Academy. Their prices are generally better anyway. 

• Like 1

UnderArmor stock also got hit today due to the decline in sales at Dick’s, which Fox Business News correctly attributed to the decline in customers at Dick’s after many customers started boycotting Dick’s stores because of their gun sale policy changes. Hey, this is what happens when you act like Dick’s! 😉

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

UnderArmor stock also got hit today due to the decline in sales at Dick’s, which Fox Business News correctly attributed to the decline in customers at Dick’s after many customers started boycotting Dick’s stores because of their gun sale policy changes. Hey, this is what happens when you act like Dick’s! 😉

Oh, they ticked off the hunting/shooting community as well..that didn't help.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/john-boch/armour-dumps-hunters-reaps-whirlwind/

• Like 2

Grown ups buy guns.  The same grown ups also buy sports equipment for the kids and teens, and yes, now a days they also buy for the young adults.  Tick off the grown ups and quit selling guns while trying to make a political statement and they quit buying anything from you and go elsewhere that has a solid business plan that includes competitive pricing and customer service on quality products without political grandstanding.  Shoot, even I can see that one coming.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

What’s the obsession with Dick’s around here?  They are not going to go out of business by not selling guns.

No, but if enough people who buy guns also buy other sporting goods and say "screw 'em" and take their sporting goods business elsewhere, then that hurts them in the general sporting goods market. Enough of that and they'll hurt pretty bad.

They're also losing market share to the down side to Academy and to the up side to specialty stores like REI, Edwin Watts, etc. They're in that middle that always gets squeezed when times get tough. If they can't make a ton of money in this booming economy though . . .

Edited by monkeylizard

Dick's is too expensive. Here in Nashville, we have lots of other choices where we can buy goods at discounts:  Academy Sports and the various sports outlets at Opry Mills. I walk through Dick's a couple of times a year. I shake my head and leave. 

I noticed several years ago without ever walking into one of Dicks stores that there had to be something folks didn't like about Dicks. They has a store almost directly across the highway from Academy Sports at Rivergate. You look at the parking lots and Dicks may have 2 cars or Pick up trucks in their parking lot and Academy has 20 or more in theirs. That told me all I needed to know so I have never been in a Dicks Sporting Goods store and have zero plans of it in the future.............JMHO

• 1 month later...

Yaknow, They could have publicly just said, "The guns and ammo sales aren't working for us, so we're going to phase them out of the stores." But instead they had to try and make a point and say, "Guns are evil and we hate them." The former would have accomplished the same thing without alienating a large portion of their customer base. We all know their prices were too high, and nobody would have given a second thought that they weren't making money on them, and getting rid of them was a good business decision.

What was it, the Vegas shooting that started all this for them? America has largely forgotten about that by now, but we have not forgotten that Dicks doesn't want our business.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Academy Sports in Cookeville opens soon! What's their stance these days? I'm guessing they will sell firearms but what type I don't know.

I bought a Kayak in Oregon from them a few years ago. That store had no guns.

The store in Johnson City has guns. You can also order a bunch from the site to be shipped to the store too.