Painting Pistol Grips

I have a Hi-Point 380 that has black grips (I assume some sort of fiberglass or plastic).  

I think the gun would look better with colored grips (Brown, Grey or something).

Maybe try painting them. It's a low priced (sounds better than cheap) gun at like $129. So, I am not looking to spend much on it.  

Anyone ever tried painting pistol grips (plastic or fiberglass or what ever HI-Point uses for grip material)?

What kind of paint would you recommend?

Maybe a small Craft Type Paint? 

I've often thought about buying a Hi Point just so I could customize it. For grips, here's a wild idea. Apply some Real Tree vinyl wrap or camotape or carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I did this for fun on the slide and grips of a handgun. It's not permanent so you can peel it off without leaving a residue. You'd probably want to apply it and get it to fit all the cracks and seams with a heat gun.

31 minutes ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I have a Hi-Point 380 that has black grips (I assume some sort of fiberglass or plastic).  

I think the gun would look better with colored grips (Brown, Grey or something).

Maybe try painting them. It's a low priced (sounds better than cheap) gun at like $129. So, I am not looking to spend much on it.  

Anyone ever tried painting pistol grips (plastic or fiberglass or what ever HI-Point uses for grip material)?

What kind of paint would you recommend?

Maybe a small Craft Type Paint? 

There is a Rustoleum paint specifically for plastic.

Be sure to clean it good to remove skin oils and dirt from your hands and such. It will make the paint job work a lot better. 

Here is an internet example of them painted blue. Personally not sure I like it....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJpxXF5BxgCmhCDgQxGqH

I might be tempted to try something like this woodgrain tape on it. If the grips come completely off you could just fold it around the back of the grip.

10375852.jpg?fit=inside%7C540:540

A Google search will reveal all the cool combos owners have done to their HPs.

I like Red's hydo dipped Glock,very nice!

Make sure the surface is clean of oils AND cleaning solvent.

Scuffing the surface is not a bad idea (don't want it to look shiny)

If you don't like the finished product, easy enough to change.

I painted my JHP with a gray fiber paint. Turned out good. Hi-Points are way better than people give them credit for. I bought mine just to see what everybody was complaining about. I still dont know. Good day.

Edited by Quavodus
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I acquired a used gun with some sort of black plastic aftermarket grips on it.  The first time I cleaned it I noticed a small white spot on the grips. Cleaned a little harder and the spot got bigger. :shrug: I soon realized that the grips we actually white in color and had been spray painted black. Good old Hoppe's was taking the paint right off and they ended up looking like crap.  :mad:

I did consider repainting them.  I figured the Fusion brand would probably be the best shot as its made specifically for plastics.  But instead I just bought some nice wood grips for the gun. Whatever you try, make sure its chemical resistant. Otherwise, they may end up like mine did.  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 10:41 PM, Garufa said:

A can of Krlyon from WalMart is inexpensive and can easily coat several Hi Points.  Paint the whole thing.  

I just got back on the site since my original post. I had all ready painted the grips using Krylon. 🙂

Thank everyone for their inputs.

I also painted the grips on a Phoenix PH22 pistol that my son and I own together (it is registered as his, we are $$ partners on it). I showed him pictures of the Hi-Point and asked if he would go along with trying it on the PH22. 

Things worked out OK. I am a bit impatient about doing things and attempted to put grips back on the Hi-Point a bit early (should just wait until the next day, say 24 hours).  I ended up creating a smudge in the paint  on one grip (GROAN). Repaired it OK (OK for me). 

I do like the look. The only other negative comment I have is that the grips now show dirt (hand dirt) more.   Reckon, can repaint. 🙂

One other point --- I would consider not putting paint on the backside of the grip other than what little over spray ends up there when spraying the edge. I have had some flakes show up (don't think interfere with the springs, etc. in the handle). 

As far as the Hi-Point  as a gun (sort off subject of painting), mine is a 380 and I get Keyholing. I called Hi-Point and got the impression that it is not a common problem but it happens. They said send it in, likely need a new barrel. 

I have not sent it in because not sure I want to spend the money (did check BUD'S dealer where I bought it about shipping - they said $25). Hi-Point gives your another MAG for your problems, but I have 3 and don't need another. .   

I am cheap (one reason I bought a $129 gun) and not sure it is worth $25 to me for a 'maybe fix'. I don't shoot it much cause AMMO cost and only shoot target with it. It's too heavy and big to carry. It would work for a bedside, or home gun, or in a vehicle.  I would rather spend money on 22LR and 9MM, and rather have the 9MM for defense and carry. 

I just don't see the use for a 380, a personal opinion, and wish I would have not bought it. It was a whim to look for a 380 to carry and didn't see anything I wanted for that, saw the $129 Hi-Point and figured buy it to shoot some. Had AMMO for $8.99 a box of 50 at the time, that kind of helped me make a decision to buy (now that is $12.99 - think dealer had it marked wrong).

I can usually buy 9MM at that $8.99 price for practice, and would rather shoot it. 

Edited by PAULSHOOT