Sign in to follow this  
PAULSHOOT

Painting Pistol Grips

I have a Hi-Point 380 that has black grips (I assume some sort of fiberglass or plastic).  

I think the gun would look better with colored grips (Brown, Grey or something).

Maybe try painting them. It's a low priced (sounds better than cheap) gun at like $129. So, I am not looking to spend much on it.  

Anyone ever tried painting pistol grips (plastic or fiberglass or what ever HI-Point uses for grip material)?

What kind of paint would you recommend?

Maybe a small Craft Type Paint? 

I've often thought about buying a Hi Point just so I could customize it. For grips, here's a wild idea. Apply some Real Tree vinyl wrap or camotape or carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I did this for fun on the slide and grips of a handgun. It's not permanent so you can peel it off without leaving a residue. You'd probably want to apply it and get it to fit all the cracks and seams with a heat gun.

31 minutes ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I have a Hi-Point 380 that has black grips (I assume some sort of fiberglass or plastic).  

I think the gun would look better with colored grips (Brown, Grey or something).

Maybe try painting them. It's a low priced (sounds better than cheap) gun at like $129. So, I am not looking to spend much on it.  

Anyone ever tried painting pistol grips (plastic or fiberglass or what ever HI-Point uses for grip material)?

What kind of paint would you recommend?

Maybe a small Craft Type Paint? 

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Gunmetal-Carbon-Release-Technology/dp/B00L9J65CS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1535680243&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=carbon+fiber+vinyl+wrap&psc=1

Here's a link to the carbon fiber vinyl tape.

A can of Krlyon from WalMart is inexpensive and can easily coat several Hi Points.  Paint the whole thing.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

There is a Rustoleum paint specifically for plastic.

Be sure to clean it good to remove skin oils and dirt from your hands and such. It will make the paint job work a lot better. 

Here is an internet example of them painted blue. Personally not sure I like it....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJpxXF5BxgCmhCDgQxGqH

I might be tempted to try something like this woodgrain tape on it. If the grips come completely off you could just fold it around the back of the grip.

10375852.jpg?fit=inside%7C540:540

5803c7da7e2f8_hydro1.jpg.f9b1ee29a19ce1b0300205369b1ab108.jpg

Here is one of ours we did, we used the "Hydro dip" method.

• Like 1

A Google search will reveal all the cool combos owners have done to their HPs.

I like Red's hydo dipped Glock,very nice!

Make sure the surface is clean of oils AND cleaning solvent.

Scuffing the surface is not a bad idea (don't want it to look shiny)

If you don't like the finished product, easy enough to change.

I painted my JHP with a gray fiber paint. Turned out good. Hi-Points are way better than people give them credit for. I bought mine just to see what everybody was complaining about. I still dont know. Good day.

Edited by Quavodus

9 hours ago, RED333 said:

5803c7da7e2f8_hydro1.jpg.f9b1ee29a19ce1b0300205369b1ab108.jpg

Here is one of ours we did, we used the "Hydro dip" method.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well that turned out.  Nice work.

A couple of years ago I acquired a used gun with some sort of black plastic aftermarket grips on it.  The first time I cleaned it I noticed a small white spot on the grips. Cleaned a little harder and the spot got bigger. :shrug: I soon realized that the grips we actually white in color and had been spray painted black. Good old Hoppe's was taking the paint right off and they ended up looking like crap.  :mad:

I did consider repainting them.  I figured the Fusion brand would probably be the best shot as its made specifically for plastics.  But instead I just bought some nice wood grips for the gun. Whatever you try, make sure its chemical resistant. Otherwise, they may end up like mine did.  :rolleyes: