My first Sig, updated with post range report opinions

A.J. Holst

My BgB (best gun buddy) ended up with two P224s and was considering selling one.

This one came with the .40 and .357 barrel, night sights, improved trigger and upgraded G10 grips...and yes, I  got the BgB deal.

First impressions opening the box, this is a beefy pistol and looks bigger than it is, despite being dimensionally the same height and lengths as a G26 (and Walther PK 380)

The front strap height is where I get picky with any compact or smaller pistol. I can  shoot with my  pinky unsupported, but don't like it. 

With the mag extension, the front strap allows all 3 fingers to grip and it is the same height as a G26 and Kimber Micro with an extended mag.

Comparing it to my svelte CZs, I can hear the Sig guys saying, "we're here to pump up your little girly man pistols."

It is the thickest pistol I own at 1.50", but the grip shape feels better than my modifed G19/26.

I am impressed with the trigger; advertised at 10# DA and 4.4# SA.

The DA pull is smooth, I can only detect a little friction. I'm not a trigger snob, but can compare to other guns sent to a custom shop. No stacking, even with a slo-mo pull.

SA break, reset and take up are good enough that a trip to the Sig Armorer is not immediately (if ever) required.

My opinion only, I think the Sig trigger may be good out of the box and easy to improve due to it's design. It appears to be similar to the CZ Omega trigger, in that it has a single trigger bar vs. the traditional horseshoe shape in my non-Omega CZ.

A few things to get use to: frame mounted decocker is great, but for a lefty, takes a little extra manipulation to engage and the slide release is definitely positioned for a righted handed shooter.

Assuming it passes a function test and I can shooter it accurately, the grip height is great for my body shape and AIWB.

IMG_20180831_092433132.jpg

Edited by Gotthegoods
6 hours ago, NickinTN said:

Sweet looking pistol. CDNN had those on closeout a few months back and I wish I would have picked one up. How does it compare to a Rami?

Sig has discontinued it, so probably the reason for the close out.

Haven't seen or handled a Rami in years, looked around back in June, but decided against it. Closest comparison is my P01 with thin aluminum grips. 

I have medium sized hands; the thinner CZ (and my 75B) are both more comfortable. The controls on the CZs are traditional and more left handed friendly than the Sig.

I get better initial trigger finger pad placement on the Sig vs. either 75.

Getting a nice, high grip on both, so equal in that regard.

I did test carry in my repurposed N82 Tactical holster,  AIWB, the grip height works very well with my body shape, equivalent to my G19/26 and better than the CZs.

The reason I opted out on the Rami is the extra coin I know I would have spent sending it to CGW.

After picking up the Walther through the trading post, I thought I was done.

I think Sig saw no futue offering it; the current customer base already bought, the new customer base has a lot more options for way less money, even if they have full / compact metal Sig's. Lurking over on Sig talk, the P365 and P320 seem to be popular.

If I was buying my first Sig at fair market, it probably wouldn't be a P224. If I was looking for a 10-12 round compact/sub compact, the Sig is at the upper end of price competing against a lot of quality handguns. If I had other handguns in .40 / .357 Sig or simply thought the modularity was cool, it would be on my radar.

Rumor is BarSto is running a batch of 9mm barrels, estimated MSRP $200, unknown if it would need to be fitted.

Hoping to shoot it Sunday.

• Like 1

First off, when I said first Sig, I am a true noob with this brand.

Read a lot, what should I expect when shooting it, especially having never shot more than a mag of .40 and never any .357

Two items caught my attention, higher bore axis and these calibers can be harsh.

Having a lot of time on the 75B, it's my opinion the difference in recoil is negligible in the bore axis arena and hard to compare inequal barrel lengths.

While the .40 and .357 had more report and muzzle rise, the pistol with a full grip is manageable and qualifies in my world as a range / fun gun.

.40 is cheap right now, about $12.50 / 50. Found 20 rounds of Sig Vcrown for $12.99

.357 Sig seems to be priced like .357 Magnum.

At 3-5 yards, 3"-4" groups, 200 round .40, 50 rounds .357

No malfunctions of any kinds.

Cleaning was a breeze, take down level is a nice feature.

Interior of the gun is as nicely finished as the exterior.

Found a P229 mag, supposedly compatible ($42.99) at Bud's; fit properly and functioned out of the box.

What gave me the personal connection to this gun was shooting .,357 for the first time, because it was like shooting .357 for the first time.

At 3-5 yards, shooting indoors, after you discharge your .357 Magnum Revolver (my first handgun), the pressure wave following the bullet will push a free hanging target. 

It was one of those, "did that really happen? How cool is that," moments.

Not sure if giving up 2 rounds is worth the marginal increase performance.

Being a traveling sales rep, the .357 Sig barrier penetration  would come in handy in a Death Race / Mad Max type of work situation.

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1