Coyote Control

Myst

We live in the Thorn Hill area of Eastern TN, and are having issues with coyotes. I understand that it is legal to hunt them year 'round, especially on private land, but have never hunted before. Also, all I have to hunt with is my 9mm sidearm...

Have had to purchase and set up electric net fencing for the chickens - and now they are limited to a stinky pen instead of free ranging like they should. Was losing one a day, every day, before the fence. Rescued 2 kittens from across the road, as the third had become breakfast for a coyote - these two live indoors now and are safe. (Not that we NEEDED any more cats - we now have 6...ugh) We have 2 dogs, but they are neither one of them  young anymore. One is mostly deaf, the other will bark all night long if she hears even one coyote. Eventually planning on another dog, looking for LGD type, but that will be at least another year before we take action. 

Just curious - anyone out there want access to 70+ acres of trees on hillsides to bag a few coyotes?  Or maybe come out here and help me figure out how to take care of this on my own. . . . 

A friend of mine solved his coyote problem when he got a Great Pyrenees. The dog stays in the pen with the goats but has been enough of a deterrent apparently. I will say though that it's kinda cruel for the dog that never gets any attention. Not much different than the folks that chain their dog up outside. I know we have a lot of expert hunters here that will chime in but I think trapping works well too.

Depending on local rules and other wildlife in the area, trapping might be an option. Just be sure you are not gonna catch your dogs or neighbors pets. Live trapping might be best. Then your 9mm could be used to dispatch them. And mistake catches could be released. 

Get ya a good rifle, Savage will do just fine, caliber is your s to pick. I am a 7mm RM.  fan. A good night scope, stay up a few nights and shoot the vermin in the dark. Just be sure NOT TO USE A SPOT LIGHT. Game warden will get ya.

If you decide to do a rifle and want to go new, but cheap, even some thing like this CVA Hunter 7mm-08 Remington Break-Action Rifle for $229 should do. Though you could probably get something in a bolt action or semi used in the same range. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cva-hunter-7mm-08-remington-break-action-rifle#repChildCatid=1028838

I will leave caliber discussions to the experts. I have never coyote hunted myself. Dad has taken a couple, but he has done it with his  shotgun and his .444 levergun. Neither of those are ideal, but he had them close at hand.

9 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I got a couple llamas and no more coyotes. The llamas will guard your chickens and other animals by chasing the coyotes away or even killing them. They may not always play nice with the dogs though...

Plus they’re pretty low maintenance

Are these Equadorian Mountain or Mexican Whooping Llamas?

If the seller was dishonest, you may actually have North Chillean Guanacos.

And yes, this is an obscure reference to a British comedy movie and my odd sense of humor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I got a couple llamas and no more coyotes. The llamas will guard your chickens and other animals by chasing the coyotes away or even killing them. They may not always play nice with the dogs though...

Can I come visit your llamas? Alpaca lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
16 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

Are these Equadorian Mountain or Mexican Whooping Llamas?

If the seller was dishonest, you may actually have North Chillean Guanacos.

And yes, this is an obscure reference to a British comedy movie and my odd sense of humor.

😃 I don’t know the movie, but it sounds funny.

Mine are Redneck Spittin’ Llamas, lol

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Closing credits of Monty Python Holy Grail

But that was moose, but I knew what you were talking about.  Still funny!

Back on topic, I think it's time you bought an AR.  The .223 (5.56x45mm) is perfect for pest control!!! :)

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Gotthegoods said:

The majestic, biting moose of the fjords is in the opening credits...I probably shouldn't know that.

Not coyote related, but Fawlty Towers is Cleese genius.

Moose bites can be quite nasti. My sister was once bit by a moose. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/7/2018 at 9:10 AM, Wingshooter said:

Many ranchers use donkeys to keep coyotes away from recently pulled/dropped calves. The donkey has a natural hatred

for coyotes and unfortunately other four legged animals including dogs.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, Myst said:

We live in the Thorn Hill area of Eastern TN, and are having issues with coyotes. I understand that it is legal to hunt them year 'round, especially on private land, but have never hunted before. Also, all I have to hunt with is my 9mm sidearm...

Have had to purchase and set up electric net fencing for the chickens - and now they are limited to a stinky pen instead of free ranging like they should. Was losing one a day, every day, before the fence. Rescued 2 kittens from across the road, as the third had become breakfast for a coyote - these two live indoors now and are safe. (Not that we NEEDED any more cats - we now have 6...ugh) We have 2 dogs, but they are neither one of them  young anymore. One is mostly deaf, the other will bark all night long if she hears even one coyote. Eventually planning on another dog, looking for LGD type, but that will be at least another year before we take action. 

Just curious - anyone out there want access to 70+ acres of trees on hillsides to bag a few coyotes?  Or maybe come out here and help me figure out how to take care of this on my own. . . .  

If you were closer to Middle Tennessee...Murfreesboro...I'd love to take you up on your offer. I'm sure some TGOer up in your neck of the woods will be happy to help with your coyote problem.

. . 

• 11 months later...