Safety Reminder- warning, very graphic pictures

Erik88

I saw this and thought we could all use this guys mistake as a reminder of what not to do. The caption says the guy was cleaning his .357 and shot himself. Lost everything but his thumb. Hard to imagine screwing up this badly with a revolver.

Capture+_2018-09-06-12-00-40.png

Capture+_2018-09-06-12-00-34.png

29 minutes ago, Omega said:

Seems like too much damage to be a gunshot, at least at close range, I might believe a kaboom, but not a ND.

a .357 at point blank range? Seems plausible to me honestly. That's a lot of energy going into a small body part. It didn't actually blow the hand off but there was enough tissue damage to prevent saving most of the hand.

I think we had a member that lost a foot after shooting himself with a .357 Someone with a better memory can confirm. 

Edited by Erik88
14 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

a .357 at point blank range? Seems plausible to me honestly. That's a lot of energy going into a small body part. It didn't actually blow the hand off but there was enough tissue damage to prevent saving most of the hand.

I think we had a member that lost a foot after shooting himself with a .357 Someone with a better memory can confirm. 

I can see loosing a hand due to damage, but looking at the picture it just seems like too much for a ND.  I would think that it would be a clean hole with maybe some damage from the muzzle blast.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

OH.

I generally do "ok" with a lot of stuff. This specifically was...a lot to wrap my head around.

Good reminder. I think oftentimes it is very easy to become complacent about certain things, especially when you carry a firearm nearly every day.  It doesn't matter if you have successfully carried a gun, or cleaned a gun for that matter, 1,000 or even 100,000 times safely. All it takes is one screwup and your life and the lives of those around you could be very, very different.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 3

If he had the muzzle cupped in the palm of his hand, (contact wound), the bullet would have made a hole.  The gases from the burning powder is what would have caused the major damage by being blown into the wound, expanding and tearing the skin and inner tissues.  I could see this much damage from a .357 the muzzle was pressed in the palm.  I have seen worse from contact wounds to the head.

2 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Uh yeah, not buying it. Good story but no, to much damage. A neat hole with Burns and speckling at entry with a bigger exit maybe. 

Still a good way to make a good safety memory though! 

If it were "close contact" a few inches, or "close" 2-3 feet, you would see speckling from the burning powder.  The radius of speckling would depend on distance from entry.  You would also see far less damage for the gases would not be entering the wound cavity forcing expansion and tissue trauma.  I don't see any blackening of the internal tissue to indicate burning powder being forced into the wound as would be seen with a contact wound.  Amount of damage I could believe.  Can't make a conclusive from these two pics but it is obviously some form of explosion whether by firearm or otherwise.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, tacops said:

If it were "close contact" a few inches, or "close" 2-3 feet, you would see speckling from the burning powder.  The radius of speckling would depend on distance from entry.  You would also see far less damage for the gases would not be entering the wound cavity forcing expansion and tissue trauma.  I don't see any blackening of the internal tissue to indicate burning powder being forced into the wound as would be seen with a contact wound.  Amount of damage I could believe.  Can't make a conclusive from these two pics but it is obviously some form of explosion whether by firearm or otherwise.

What are you all talking about? That's well cooked flesh, clearly indicative of burning powder.

Evidence

I'm starving...

16 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

What are you all talking about? That's well cooked flesh, clearly indicative of burning powder.

Evidence

I'm starving...

I knew what that link was before I even clicked it as I was thinking the same thing.  Looks like what some people eat around here...except with spaghetti.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I knew what that link was before I even clicked it as I was thinking the same thing.  Looks like what some people eat around here...except with spaghetti.

I am...closely one of those people. I want it cooked on the inside and medium/medium rare on the inside. Yum. yum:)

I've seen a lot of, well, stuff I didn't want to see. Body parts, such as heads, can certainly blow apart due to a close contact shot. There's always the powder burn though. But, I can't see the bottom (palm) of his hand, so I don't really know. 

Whatever the cause, it looks like it will leave a lasting memory. 

For some reason, at first I thought it was a calzone or pasta with bread sticks. Then I noticed they were fingers. Reminds me of accidents with saw and other powered cutting tools. I know plenty of people that lost fingers for not paying attention to a circular saw.

On 9/8/2018 at 9:19 AM, Erik88 said:

The woman that posted these is a medical examiner. She doesn't post fake things but this was sent to her from someone else so I suppose they could have lied. Either eay, be safe out there.

I searched her name, she posts some gruesome pics, but it seems many are not her own pics so she may be getting second-hand info.  But, seeing as these are during surgery, it may be that the cleaning of the wound, removing damaged tissue, is what we are looking at.  

• Like 1