Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Damethedude

Changing the minds of the masses!!

Recommended Posts

How can we convince major gun companies that the .357 sig is not a dying caliber and is an amazing round that is in a league of it's own when compared to other stout rounds, also convince more major gun manufacturers to start producing the gun again in multiple variations to appease their loyal gun community.  THESE GUNS WILL SALE!!!🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑JUST MAKE EM ALREADY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DWARREN123 is unfortunately correct.  Production is driven by sales. That said, sales of 357 Sig could be enhanced if USPSA and/or IDPA would authorize the round for competition in the major division. My Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry is an excellent pistol and the 357 is a flat shooting round. Ammo prices are a bit high but could be lowered if the demand increased. Opening the 357 Sig to competition sport shooting would be a great first step.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there is a market for the .357 sig, I'm continually hearing people are reducing the number of calibers they have.  I recently added 10 mm to my list.  I try to put a few boxes on the shelf every time I go the range.  If I decide to add another caliber, .357 sig would likely be my choice.  That would require the necessity of acquiring several more pistols. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TNman207 said:

DWARREN123 is unfortunately correct.  Production is driven by sales. That said, sales of 357 Sig could be enhanced if USPSA and/or IDPA would authorize the round for competition in the major division. My Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry is an excellent pistol and the 357 is a flat shooting round. Ammo prices are a bit high but could be lowered if the demand increased. Opening the 357 Sig to competition sport shooting would be a great first step.

Nice answer! TNman 207!!! These are the type of answers I'm looking for... sorry Dwarren123 I'm not really looking for short ended obvious answers....I'm quite aware that sales drive whats manufactured but what can we do to increase the encouragement of sales? How can we peak the interest of other new gun owners and convince them to go .357 sig instead of the norm? What's the best way to get other gun enthusiasts to convert to .357 sig.  How can we show these major companies that there is a want for this round and pistol?....these type of questions I am looking to be answered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just added .357 Sig (and .40) because of an awesome gun deal, I've been learning about this round.

I was NOT planning on adding another caliber to my mix.

It's early in the process, but I think I shoot the .357 better than .40

As an original .357 mag guy, I think it's a pretty cool roound and beginning an emotional attachment.

I like how it mimics .357 magnum, just not sure if the improved barrier penetration is needed, considering the Hornady Critical Duty in 9mm does well.

A PCC or PDW in .357 Sig would be awesome. I saw a chassis for Glock and Sig.

Practice ammo price is a deterrent. Off the shelf I can buy 9 for $10/50, .40/.380 for $13/50 and .357 Sig jumps to $25-$40/50 (similar to .357 mag)

SD ammo is surprising affordable, price per round in line with most 9/.40/.45 I compared it to.

Welcome aboard!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

While there is a market for the .357 sig, I'm continually hearing people are reducing the number of calibers they have.  I recently added 10 mm to my list.  I try to put a few boxes on the shelf every time I go the range.  If I decide to add another caliber, .357 sig would likely be my choice.  That would require the necessity of acquiring several more pistols. 

NICE! tnhawk!  There is a market for. 357 sig but its dying do to the bad rap of this caliber.  Its sorta like a putbull....great family dog but its thought of as viscous... with the bad rap people had to reinvent the Pitt bull and now you have the bully breeds. And they are selling like hotcakes.... it's not hard to make things now days with new technologies at our finger tips so why do we accept any round to be expensive?we are the market...we control influence it so let's speak out and make these companies aware we are ready for a .357 sig market to flourish and change the bad aura associated with it.....I  would like to get a 10 mm one day! YEA gotta stock up on ammo when you have these type of caliber guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I converted both of my P320's to .357 Sig. I like a little extra umf to the 9 that it provides. I reload to reduce costs. Buying the brass to begin with costs more, but after that it's perfectly reasonable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Having just added .357 Sig (and .40) because of an awesome gun deal, I've been learning about this round.

I was NOT planning on adding another caliber to my mix.

It's early in the process, but I think I shoot the .357 better than .40

As an original .357 mag guy, I think it's a pretty cool roound and beginning an emotional attachment.

I like how it mimics .357 magnum, just not sure if the improved barrier penetration is needed, considering the Hornady Critical Duty in 9mm does well.

A PCC or PDW in .357 Sig would be awesome. I saw a chassis for Glock and Sig.

Practice ammo price is a deterrent. Off the shelf I can buy 9 for $10/50, .40/.380 for $13/50 and .357 Sig jumps to $25-$40/50 (similar to .357 mag)

SD ammo is surprising affordable, price per round in line with most 9/.40/.45 I compared it to.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome!!! Yes I love the .357 sig it shoots very well.... the price of ammo, I believe truly is the damper on the flourishment of this caliber....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

I converted both of my P320's to .357 Sig. I like a little extra umf to the 9 that it provides. I reload to reduce costs. Buying the brass to begin with costs more, but after that it's perfectly reasonable.

That would be an excellent solution if only there was a safer more convenient way to produce reloadable it would help encourage others to buy .357 SIG....heck that sounds like something I would personally love to learn how to do so any info I would love the help....but as we sit with the world today people are flat out lazy and I think we can convince more people to get a .357 sig and buy ammo than we can if we tell em its cheaper to make their own lol. But I would definitely say if like a class on this could be taught to people it would certainly be worth a try to help grow the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the price and availability of ammunition improve, I can see the .357 sig as a good option. If I have a caliber, I want to have more than on gun using that caliber.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

If the price and availability of ammunition improve, I can see the .357 sig as a good option. If I have a caliber, I want to have more than on gun using that caliber.  

I totally agree with you options are always nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LCP and S&W 442 are the only guns I don't have several guns in the same caliber.  Both have a place for me (due to size) but I don't care to have several of either caliber.  I probably should practice with each more frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consumers just have a lot of choice - and have frankly already made up their mind.  

Police departments and other public buyers really chose .40 S&W over .357 Sig in the ‘90s and early ‘00s.  

It will remain a niche round at this point.  It will likely stay available - less available than the big calibers, but probably a box or two in any big store.  

The heart of the matter is that it would take an enormous amount of money to market it to the masses at this point to try to offset mediocre gun rag press over the last 20 years.  And, no one is going to invest that in this market.

If it’s your thing, enjoy it.  But, it’s probably as available as it’s going to get. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Consumers just have a lot of choice - and have frankly already made up their mind.  

Police departments and other public buyers really chose .40 S&W over .357 Sig in the ‘90s and early ‘00s.  

It will remain a niche round at this point.  It will likely stay available - less available than the big calibers, but probably a box or two in any big store.  

The heart of the matter is that it would take an enormous amount of money to market it to the masses at this point to try to offset mediocre gun rag press over the last 20 years.  And, no one is going to invest that in this market.

If it’s your thing, enjoy it.  But, it’s probably as available as it’s going to get. 

Yea I agree with you on that one. IT would be very difficult to change minds that are already "made up"  and or recover from the bad press but man would it be cool to see someone actually do something amazing in this caliber to really open the eyes to other enthusiasts that have already made up their minds to what a great round it is.... and invest the money... it takes money to make money lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the Feds go on a buying frenzy several years back on 357 Mag rounds so they must have or need guns to use them in if they don't already have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things like this are a chain of events. If 9mm is the most prevalent caliber, more people buy 9mm. When more people buy 9mm, the manufactures make more 9mm guns and ammo. 

It is even more pronounced when you involve large organizations like the FBI or police departments. 

With so many calibers around today, it would take a major marketing push to get enough people to adopt it and make a difference. That kind of money and influence is not easy to round up. 

If you want to try, start by talking it up to friends and people at the range. Let them try it out. Maybe that will prompt them to look at it. Don't expect to see thousands of converts anytime soon though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TNman207 said:

DWARREN123 is unfortunately correct.  Production is driven by sales. That said, sales of 357 Sig could be enhanced if USPSA and/or IDPA would authorize the round for competition in the major division. My Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry is an excellent pistol and the 357 is a flat shooting round. Ammo prices are a bit high but could be lowered if the demand increased. Opening the 357 Sig to competition sport shooting would be a great first step.

It is authorized in just about every division except IDPA CDP (.45 ACP loaded to major) and USPSA Limited (.40 dia or above if shooting major).  Major power factor = bullet weight x velocity = 165,000 or more.  CDP does not allow anything but .45 because Bill Wilson is a dictator (and Wilson Combat doesn't make a .40) and Limited requires .40 or better to prevent 9mm major.  

More competitive shooters might use . 357 SIG if it offered any benefits.  It doesn't.  Many competitive shooters load their ammo and .357 SIG brass is scarce and expensive.  Also, loading bottleneck pistol cases can be a hassle.  In the competitive world, it can't do anything a .40 can't, and usually won't do it as well.  It could do well in USPSA Open, where the guns use frame-mounted red dot sights and comps and is dominated by guns shooting 9mm or .38 Super major ammo, but it would be at a capacity disadvantage.  

For the competitive world to embrace it, there has to be some benefit.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always said that .357 Sig was the ONLY good thing to come out of that abomination known as .40. Very good round. Price and availability are the reasons I never switched to it. About the same reasons I never switched to 10mm, another excellent round, especially when fed the good stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. Why try to duplicate the ballistics of 357mag?  Just buy a decent revolver ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember but I don't think it quite reaches up to a good 357 mag load. But, a lot of folks are kindly fond o them there new fangled arty-mattics. 

But, I am, after all, guilty of packing a magnum wheel gun most of the time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a lot of good calibers that for some reason just don't make the grade. One that I thought was a good idea is the .41 Action Express. It worked in a gun that could change from 9 mm. Two calibers in the same gun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the few LE agencies that use .357 Sig convert to 9mm it might just be done.

The mighty .40 isn’t going anywhere yet and is very easily convertible to .357 Sig for those that feel the need.  I’m sure the aftermarket will provide barrels for some time to come.  Even then ammo cost and availability is always going to be an issue.

I never see manufacturers expanding .357 Sig production.  It just doesn’t make much sense to when it’s cheaper to produce handguns chambered in widely available, straight walled calibers. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 9:20 PM, res308 said:

I've always said that .357 Sig was the ONLY good thing to come out of that abomination known as .40. Very good round. Price and availability are the reasons I never switched to it. About the same reasons I never switched to 10mm, another excellent round, especially when fed the good stuff. 

Technically, the .357 Sig round is off the 10mm round. It uses the thicker base of the 10mm case for the pressure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By hughd
      $35.99
       gunbuyer.com/sig-sauer-p365-micro-compact-9mm-magazine
    • By hughd
      "Available July 22"
      https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g48-us
       
    • By tercel89
      I have a G21 Standard and G30 standard. My hands are normal size but I never considered the newer SF versions. I found a G21SF for pretty cheap and not fired and jumped on it. WOW it is very noticeable once you wrap your fingers around the grip. I listed a picture of the 21 Standard and the 21SF together . For some reason Glock took the SF designation off of the frame near the dustcover and put it on the area where it shows Made in Austria. To me its one of the softest shooting 45ACP pistols there is. 



The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines