Officer entering wrong apartment, killing occupant

owejia

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You don't think law enforcement gives their fellow cops a pass on a lot of things? Of course blue backs blue. This has been documented over and over and over. 

In this case, she was allowed to meet with the head of the police union after the shooting who subsequently had the camera in the police cruiser turned off so she wouldn't be recorded. You think us peons would ever receive such treatment? Not a chance. That video is evidence that would have been used against us.  

"In a hearing that took place outside the jury's presence Tuesday, lead prosecutor Jason Hermus said Guyger was told not to say anything while the camera was on. He said turning it off and allowing her to interact with other officers gave her preferential treatment that wouldn't have been given to an ordinary person in police custody."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/09/24/police-treated-amber-guyger-special-on-night-of-shooting-prosecutor-argues/

Considering you and Capbyrd have never been cops I understand your perceptions. On my department it didn't happen, so once again Capbyrd painted everyone with a broad brush. Police unions, (where they are legal, but they weren't where I was a cop), supply legal representation for their members. It's why they talk to the union before talking to command and that can't be recorded just like conversations between you and your lawyer can't be recorded.

22 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You don't think law enforcement gives their fellow cops a pass on a lot of things? Of course blue backs blue. This has been documented over and over and over. 

In this case, she was allowed to meet with the head of the police union after the shooting who subsequently had the camera in the police cruiser turned off so she wouldn't be recorded. You think us peons would ever receive such treatment? Not a chance. That video is evidence that would have been used against us.  

"In a hearing that took place outside the jury's presence Tuesday, lead prosecutor Jason Hermus said Guyger was told not to say anything while the camera was on. He said turning it off and allowing her to interact with other officers gave her preferential treatment that wouldn't have been given to an ordinary person in police custody."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/09/24/police-treated-amber-guyger-special-on-night-of-shooting-prosecutor-argues/

Of course, they do. We had discretion in misdemeanors and tickets. We didn’t have discretion in felonies, and we couldn’t even charge murder; only our States Attorney could do that. DA’s in this state make the decisions; not cops. The Nashville Metro DA charged a cop that was chasing a fleeing thug with a gun in his hand with murder. I don’t think the Metro DA and former Mayor can be accused of protecting cops or protecting innocent citizens that use deadly force.

I violated Department policy in a shooting. A command Officer said that to which I replied “The policy is wrong.” Another Command Officer said “Don’t say another word until you talk to your attorney.” Should he have been fired for saying that? I’ve told people I knew not to make a statement. That’s something I wouldn’t have said to someone I didn’t know. Should I have been fired?

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Police unions, (where they are legal, but they weren't where I was a cop), supply legal representation for their members. It's why they talk to the union before talking to command and that can't be recorded just like conversations between you and your lawyer can't be recorded.

You're speaking about an officer involved on-duty shooting. This wasn't a lawyer she was speaking to. It was another cop who happens to lead the union. There is no scenario where you and I could murder someone, and then get treatment such as this. No way they would tell us "don't speak while the camera is on."  There is no way they would turn off the recording. She was given special treatment by other cops, because she was a cop.

Edited by Erik88
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You're speaking about an officer involved on-duty shooting. This wasn't a lawyer she was speaking to. It was another cop who happens to lead the union. There is no scenario where you and I could murder someone, and then get treatment such as this. No way they would tell us "don't speak while the camera is on."  And no way where they would turn off the recording. She was given special treatment by other cops, because she was a cop.

Correct.

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You're speaking about an officer involved on-duty shooting. This wasn't a lawyer she was speaking to. It was another cop who happens to lead the union. There is no scenario where you and I could murder someone, and then get treatment such as this. No way they would tell us "don't speak while the camera is on."  There is no way they would turn off the recording. She was given special treatment by other cops, because she was a cop.

I guess you've never heard of the Miranda Warning. Let me help you. It starts with, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything that you say can and will be used against you...."

Guess where the average criminal fails.

Edited by E4 No More
3 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I guess you've never heard of the Miranda Warning.

Look, you were the one that said blue backing blue only happens in movies. I gave you an example of it happening with this very case. What does that have to do with her being read her miranda rights? What are we even debating right now?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Look, you were the one that said blue backing blue only happens in movies. I gave you an example of it happening with this very case. What does that have to do with her being read her miranda rights? What are we even debating right now?

You could try being more informed. There's a huge difference between what Dave posted about traffic tickets or misdemeanors and homicide. There's also a difference between corrupt cops protecting corrupt cops. The average cop doesn't do that, but go ahead and continue painting with such a broad brush. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

My guess would have been  criminally negligent homicide or something like that (Whatever they have in Texas)

I thought the same thing, until I reviewed the Texas penal code.  Negligent homicide in Texas requires that the death be unintentional.  She clearly and explicitly said on the stand that she intended to kill him.  Her case does meet the penal code definition for murder (which I find surprisingly broad).

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
16 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Been watching the sentencing live.....

My gosh I never thought about how bad someone can make a person look by simply quoting what you post online or Text. They are doing real job on her.

Anyone who posts on a board like TGO ought to give that some hard thought. 

• Like 10
  • Moderators
43 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Anyone who posts on a board like TGO ought to give that some hard thought. 

100%. Anyone who has been around this joint a while knows that if I find myself in court and they scour my posting history here, I’m screwed. I’ve said some really dumb and inflammatory stuff over the years. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

100%. Anyone who has been around this joint a while knows that if I find myself in court and they scour my posting history here, I’m screwed. I’ve said some really dumb and inflammatory stuff over the years. 

You aren’t the only one. Especially if it’s just read out loud; without anyone knowing the context or back story.

• Like 1

She made a bunch of mistakes. First being an officer she should have known better than to be drinking and carrying her firearm. Second getting so wasted that she was clueless of her surroundings, not realizing that she was in the wrong apt. Third she should have kept her mouth shut. 

I stand corrected. According to another post she had not been drinking. 

Edited by dralarms
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I can’t even imagine what you’ve said on other, less couth sites.

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ll be a good character witness. 

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’ll be a good character witness. 

I think I’m just going to endeavor never to be in that position. This discussion does tangentially relate to something I saw earlier today on the JRE podcast with Sturgill Simpson relaying his home invasion story from earlier this year at his Nashville area home. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, dralarms said:

She made a bunch of mistakes. First being an officer she should have known better than to be drinking and carrying her firearm. Second getting so wasted that she was clueless of her surroundings, not realizing that she was in the wrong apt. Third she should have kept her mouth shut. 

I had not realized before now that she was drinking and impaired.  That does change my opinion some.

16 minutes ago, dralarms said:

Oh, I had heard she was drinking at a bar before going home. So what you are saying is she was just stupid. 

I’m just saying the drinking stuff is fake news. She made a mistake; no doubt about that. I feel terrible for both her and the victim. Not because she is a cop; but because I am a compassionate human being. There was no intent, there was no recklessness. If you want to call it stupidity; so be it.