Officer entering wrong apartment, killing occupant

owejia

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Omega said:

I'm not diminishing the fact that the man lost his life, he is the victim no doubt about it, or am I advocating for her to be given a pass.  But it seems to me that some of you seem to be overly harsh on her for no other reason than she was a cop.  

I can’t speak for anyone else, only myself. My biases are well known here and I won’t insult anyone by trying to deny them. That said, for me what this hinges on, and why I believe her sentence was unduly light is simple. Bothan Jean was sitting in his own home, on his own couch when a person who didn’t belong there (that she thought she did is irrelevant and not a mitigating factor in my eyes) and shot him to death. There was no accident here, only negligence. Her confusion in the moment does not alleviate her of her guilt. Her sentence should have been double what it was. Her being a cop is irrelevant to this view  

Where her being a cop does come into play for me is that with her training she especially should have been able to recognize her error before killing Bothan Jean. So while I don’t think that should make the sentencing harsher, it does make such a light sentence that much more egregious to me.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Omega said:

I'm not diminishing the fact that the man lost his life, he is the victim no doubt about it, or am I advocating for her to be given a pass.  But it seems to me that some of you seem to be overly harsh on her for no other reason than she was a cop.  

I actually pointed out the fact that dozens of other people made the same mistake in going to the wrong apartment. I think she made a series of mistakes. 

But she still killed an innocent man and will likely be out on parole in 5. When you consider the fact that people are serving longer sentences for marijuana, she definitely got off easy. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Omega said:

That's how some of the folks around here roll.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:42 PM, Omega said:

It seems to me that some of you are being overly sympathetic towards her for no other reason than she was a cop.  SHE IS NOT THE VICTIM.  Other than the fact that she wouldn't have been as likely to be toting a gun if she was a civilian, her being a cop is not important to the story, at all.  

Also, did yall see where Botham Jean's neighbor has now been murdered as well?   Who knows if all of this is related but he was shot last year in November.  Then he had to testify in the criminal case and he was going to be called to testify in the civil case as well but he was murdered over the weekend.   Dallas police have no suspects and no known motive and they never found who shot him last November either.  

6 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Also, did yall see where Botham Jean's neighbor has now been murdered as well?   Who knows if all of this is related but he was shot last year in November.  Then he had to testify in the criminal case and he was going to be called to testify in the civil case as well but he was murdered over the weekend.   Dallas police have no suspects and no known motive and they never found who shot him last November either.  

What valuable information do you think got Botham Jean's neighbor assassinated?

4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What valuable information do you think got Botham Jean's neighbor assassinated?

I have no clue.   You think he knew something about Hillary?   

Are you saying that I think the DPD killed him because of his testimony?  Because I didn't say that.   I just think its interesting that someone who testified in a murder trial is killed within a month of that testimony.  I've read a few more articles about it now and it seems that his family believe that he was targeted by someone from his childhood.  

1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

I have no clue.   You think he knew something about Hillary?   

I hope not, I know something about Hillary.

1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

Are you saying that I think the DPD killed him because of his testimony? 

I just wondered where you were going with that. Good to know you think it has absolutely nothing to do with this case.

13 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I hope not, I know something about Hillary.

I just wondered where you were going with that. Good to know you think it has absolutely nothing to do with this case.

Do you not find coincidences like that interesting?  

9 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Do you not find coincidences like that interesting?  

Maybe. But not enough to imply he was killed because he was going to testify in a civil case against the city. There isn’t anyone personally effected enough either at the City or at the PD to care enough to kill someone.

15 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Maybe. But not enough to imply he was killed because he was going to testify in a civil case against the city. There isn’t anyone personally effected enough either at the City or at the PD to care enough to kill someone.

I wasn't implying that.   If you inferred it, that's on you.   

51 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I wasn't implying that.   If you inferred it, that's on you.   

I seen some of the reporting of it yesterday, and they were definitely implying that it had something to do with the trial.  They kept emphasizing that he was shot in the mouth, so it may have been because of his testimony.  

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

It seems to me that some of you are being overly sympathetic towards her for no other reason than she was a cop.  SHE IS NOT THE VICTIM.  Other than the fact that she wouldn't have been as likely to be toting a gun if she was a civilian, her being a cop is not important to the story, at all.  

In a way yes, but I would not categorize it as sympathetic.  I do agree with you that she is not the victim, no question about it, but if a regular civilian would have been involved this would have been handled much differently from both sides.    

44 minutes ago, Omega said:

I seen some of the reporting of it yesterday, and they were definitely implying that it had something to do with the trial.  They kept emphasizing that he was shot in the mouth, so it may have been because of his testimony.  

Conspiracy theorists gonna conspiracy theory. 

15 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

It looks like they developed some suspects. 

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/arrest-made-in-death-of-botham-jean-witness-joshua-brown-police-say/995149373?utm_source=trending&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=chartbeat_trending&utm_content=news

• Like 2